Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle's Nest

Eagle's Nest

Looks like they cut thru the woods right right off Pipeline.

To go to BR from Pipeline last season, you had to step over a stream and then pick your way thru the woods.

Looks like they did it right.

FOUR MORE MONTHS
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Sponge...any pics from the expedition?

I'm assuming what we are seeing in the Gore Mtn Photog pic below is one of the towers on Sagamore...how close to the bottom is that?

Caption mentions TWO bridges over Roaring Brook. Spill it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Sponge...any pics from the expedition?

I'm assuming what we are seeing in the Gore Mtn Photog pic below is one of the towers on Sagamore...how close to the bottom is that?

Caption mentions TWO bridges over Roaring Brook. Spill it all!
    No pics. I was in a group that wasn't gonna wait for someone to take a picture.

It's pretty close to the bottom. The one guy in the group on a snowboard had a tough time getting thru the woods. When he got out of the woods, he took off his board and walked to the lift. It wasn't a far walk at all.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I got pics...from yesterday. I think we are talking about the same area...about 1/6 of a mile down from the bridge? Guess the second bridge will be here. Wider trail than I would have thought they would cut. Trees debris still remains.

PS...how does Gore or for that fact most construction companies in this area get away with doing earth work so close to water without any/much silt fence work. In Maryland---fines would be a flying.
    Funny thing, since this is State work, bet 1000 dollars fencing etc is in the specs and bid...then it just goes to profit.

Odd question: Walked under the existing bridge...on the bottom flange there was a glass goblet....with something in it. Over the goblet was a plate, over the plate was a rock. I am thinking some freaks left something really smelly in the glass with the idea that a curious person would remove the plate to see what is in the glass and get hit with a stink bomb. OK...fess up, who left it for the unknowing?

Rasberries were ripe over the stream bed where the rocks heat up.

Biting flys (green/beige) were killing me. Chills down the spine kind of bites.

Will upload as soon as I figure out how on this site. Will try tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Looks like the bottom section, just after that last steep pitch (that was pretty rocky/icy for most of last year) and above that last little drainage ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    PS...how does Gore or for that fact most construction companies in this area get away with doing earth work so close to water without any/much silt fence work. In Maryland---fines would be a flying.
    SHHHHHHH . . .

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    Don't let my fuzzy recollections let you jump to conclusions.

Gore is designated Forest Preserve. I can't believe that the current construction was approved without being thoroughly vetted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    The one guy in the group on a snowboard had a tough time getting thru the woods. When he got out of the woods, he took off his board and walked to the lift. It wasn't a far walk at all.
    Well does the new Eagle's nest trail follow the same course as the trail said snowboarder took ? Could it have a better grading to it this year ?

Also, could his walk at the bottom been because he went down that service road that exists left in the above photo of the end of Eagle's nest ?

that goblet under the bridge story is weird. maybe a cache for that GPS game where people get info off the web then go find it in the woods ? they usually sign it's log book once they find it.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I believe the stream is as wide in this photo as it is at the top bridge....Looks like they will need something in the order of about 60-80 feet to span and keep grade. I saw two large beams in the parking lot (it was free this weekend!), maybe they were it....

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...0908050076.jpg

As you can see....nice pitch down to the stream. I like it.

Hopefully this post works..only two hours to figure this out and get a photo bucket.

So I did not get a photo, but I did get a link to it...lets try this one...a wider shot at the base of the stream bed.

Gore is designated Forest Preserve. I can't believe that the current construction was approved without being thoroughly vetted.

Do you see silt fence? I have read the entire SEIS document. Lots and lots of "talk" about testing water quality etc....I am also sure they will do it and it will pass. I am just saying....not one bit of silt fence. Maybe no silt....just sand. But there are organics. Bet the spec manual is a foot thick on steps that should be taken. But countys and states have to pay inspectors...and we are in a tight budget now a days...and then who wants to climb that hill to look for silt fence? The GEO Metros those inspectors drive would not make it. Naw...they would rather drive up to a million dollar home under construction and harass the poor stiff framing 3 stories about the ground.