Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Home" mountain changed

It looks like last season I have changed my "home" mountain from Whiteface to Gore. Many reasons: shorter drive(3:15 as oppose to 4), tubing, more intermediate trails - none of these factors I care much about but they become important when I go skiing with my son. I will ski at Whiteface coming season but not as often, looking forward to check out Lookout expansion.

Anyone else on this board had a similar change, maybe other way, from Gore to WF? I surely hope to switch back to WF in a few years.

Yep....funny how kids change your priorities. I would have never picked Gore but for the fact that I have two very young kids..... Otherwise, me and the Mrs would be flying West or East (Europe) to ski most of the time. Anchor is out, but I have a very long chain. We drive 7 hrs.

One daughter changed my mountain in a way. Gore used to be the exception, not the rule. I spent my time in the Siamese BC. I did some winter camping and day skiing...mostly in the northern end of the wilderness.

Problem is there's no day care out there.

In all seriousness...I'm not changing my home mountain, but I do want to get to Whiteface more this year. Especially in the spring.

I switched from WF to Gore too. My parents had a place up near Saranac Lake, so I skied WF and Big Tupper until I was 18 and headed off to college. Then, after 4 years of Sugarloaf as my home mountain, I moved back home to Clifton Park, realized I didn't have enough money for a season pass, and started working at Gore because it was a more convenient drive from my house. I don't really miss Whiteface (ski there a few weekends a year), but I REALLY miss Big Tupper. That place was sick.

My home mountain was Hunter for 41 years...yep that is a long time, started there at age 6. My Dad started there as an instructor in the early 60's. Even after he stopped teaching the Slutskys (owners) where kind enough to comp me a season pass every year anyway caused they thought alot of my Dad. I still skied other places, but it was an easy drive 1 hour 15 south, free, so I was there alot.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

that was very nice of them. your Dad must be quite a guy. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

do you ever return to Hunter for old times sake? bet you have many, many memories there.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    I switched from WF to Gore too. My parents had a place up near Saranac Lake, so I skied WF and Big Tupper until I was 18 and headed off to college. Then, after 4 years of Sugarloaf as my home mountain, I moved back home to Clifton Park, realized I didn't have enough money for a season pass, and started working at Gore because it was a more convenient drive from my house. I don't really miss Whiteface (ski there a few weekends a year), but I REALLY miss Big Tupper. That place was sick.
    Big Tupper over Face or da Loaf? care to share why? is that the one they're trying to reopen?

It is the one they're trying to reopen, and I've always been a sucker for the "other" mountain. Usually, I like the vibe better at MRG (over Sugarbush), Saddleback (over Sunday River), Gore (over Whiteface), etc. I like how the rules are a little more lax, the trails are a little less manicured, and the people are a little more laid back.

I guess it's the contrarian in me (and why I'm eagerly awaiting the reopening of Hickory).

i see. let's hope they succeed in their quest. that developer has some very large plans. it's been alooooong struggle to re-open. they're so far north, i guess alot of the day to day traffic might be Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    that was very nice of them. your Dad must be quite a guy. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

do you ever return to Hunter for old times sake? bet you have many, many memories there.
    I went back once a few years ago to meet up with a bunch of guys from AZ. It was a good time.

I do have alot of good memories especially from my youth. My uncle was also an instructor and his family and ours rented the same house at Hunter for 15 years or so. We kids had just as much fun after skiing as we did skiing.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.