Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks again.

Some positives and negatives this weekend.

Biking trail proposed north of North Creek. I bet I asked 20 locals of what they thought of the biking trail. Many lived on the lines and were out ffor the WW Derby. All I spoke to were in favor. Yeah..

None of the 20 or so I spoke with knew of the proposed Barton Mine use as noted in the most recent story. If that occurs...and I hope it does for the economy etc. The biking trail wold be dead---unless I am missing something.

Went to ride the train to see the finish of the race. $15 dollar train tickets. Ok for me, but my 4 yr old? Yep. They might give my 2 yr old a break. Sorry, dads not dropping 30+. We have ridden the train many times, it was nap time and I just could not justify.

The good.....the ride back from Riperus (sp) for the derby participants..was only $5 bucks. Great deal. Hope many took advantage.

We had a ball this weekend in NC.

Funny how much building you can get when you have limited funds....$33,000 vs 1.4 Mil. Granted there was not a land purchase. Goverment contract spending has gone nuts, seems like this economy is moving us back a little.

The best part, and maybe it was mis-quoted. 1000s acres is "looking into the possibility" of granting an easment for the stop.....hello? Isn't this stop for your customer's? I would think they would volunteer labor and supplies and lifetime maintence to the property, once built.

Iskiing...is your pm box functioning? I have some pm's i've been trying to send you that won't go " out "...even tho ones i wrote to others did go out. ???????????????????
    incoming .................DUCK !

Some more track improvements........

http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...tml?mode=story

May be it's good news. BUT on the other hand................

You have 4 fingers and a thumb! HA!

Hehehe. Ok, but seriously....

There's a move afoot in the Placid area to force a discontinuation of an established Tourist Train there, tear up it's tracks and make a bike path. An actual financial study is being done to see which will bring in more $$$ to that area.

Bike path

A bike path will produce more tourist revenue. There are plenty of established bike paths in locations that have completed these economic impact studies. The results are consistent.

The Warren County track improvements will be very useful to any skiers from Corinth who want to spend almost 4 hours to get to North Creek.. FYI...that's a 45 minute car trip!

Thanks Sno--missed this article.

Yep, would not want to spend 7 hrs on a train. Unless I was sleeping.

I hope there are people out there that are smarter than me that have figured this out. My guess is that if a train has not run for 40 yrs..there is an economic reason.

I do wish UHRR luck and sucess. 50 passengers paying 7-28 dollars for a ticket seems like a stretch, but what do I know.
    I do know that I wanted to ride the NC train on my last visit...but could not PRY the $45.00 out of my wallet to allow myself and my two (under 5yrold) kids to ride it. We climbed the sand banks at the lumber yard (abandoned) on Peaceful Valley instead. Tossed the clothes in the fire, so mom would not know. That dirt was not coming out! Total cost maybe $15.00. Reality, cost nothing because they were old, small clothes.

While a bike trail would be free, I would pay $45.00 to be able to ride that smooth line "down" with the kids and then have a van bring me back. My kids are young and 10 miles back up hill would be too much. That said, we routinely ride 8 miles along the NCRR trail in Md..2% grade in some areas. But that is 4 miles in and back. Rather go 10 one way.

It would be an awesome trip along the Hudson to ride uninterupted from Tawhaus to Corinth! Maybe my Grandkids will do it some day.

Several times today, I was able to hear a train whistle from the beach at Lake Luzerne. The Hadley train trestle is only 3 maybe 4 miles as the crow flies from Wayside beach on Lake Luzerne.

The weather here has been much, much better this summer. No monsoonal rain like last year and plenty hot. Great when you have all these lakes to hit. Water, water everywhere. Maybe global warming will bring a longer summer season to the north country. I'ld be down with that as long as it does not mess with ski season.......

The Northern Lights are supposedly possible to veiw tonight. Still ain't seen no dang moose.

Saw a bunch of turkeys crossing the road by West Mtn today. That ridge is covered with birds. Many times you can see them or their tracks from the lifts there. The fat azz bears haven't been around much. Those suckas steal lots of bird feeders but oddly never raid the garbage cans. One did knock down my chain link fence one night. It was fleeing from my neighbor who went out to walk his dog and have a smoke. My own " ferocious " Morkies never even made a sound. Slackers. Had to have a talk with those two about that one.

Still ain't seen no dang moose. Slackers.

Im really not buying that a bike path is going to bring all these dollars rolling into North Creek.

I lived on the cape and rail trail was a kinda cool thing to do when you didnt feel like the beach with the kids, but never once did I ever even hear of someone traveling all the way down there, posting up in hotels, restaurants, etc, just to ride the rail trail.

Bike paths to me are more of a nice touch for locals, not the next leg of the I LOVE NY campaign.

You could very well be correct. However bike tourism here is big and growing. But it seems to take a race or an event like this one last week........

http://poststar.com/image_896a8fb6-c...a61c771ea.html

Wonder how Whiteface Downhill Bike Park is doing this year ?