View Poll Results: Do you think the slides should be open more?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely, the slides need to be open more!

14 60.87%
  • I would keep the same old super strict rules regarding the opening of the slides

6 26.09%
  • I think they should close the slides to build new luxury condos for the super rich

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

More Slides Please

I've skied these slides and love them.

Whiteface has to dig deep down to find a way to open the slides more this year.

I backcountry ski stuff that have way worse conditions than the slides and have a safe and great time. Colden, gothics, and Marcy gets hiked and skied all the time in worse conditions. The slides sit closed.

Our next door neighbors -Stowe, Sugarbush, and Jay - turn a blind eye to people hiking or skiing into their side-country in often far worse conditions than the slides are. The slides sit closed.

Snowbird and Alta allow skiers out into massively steep rock strewn on Mount Baldy most winter days in conditions rivaling the slides. The slides sit closed.

With a new mountain manager it is a perfect time to revisit the rules of the slides. Whiteface must relax their rules regarding the opening of the slides this year. It's in my best interest, your best interest and frankly in the best interest of Whiteface.

Open the Slides, please!

asland

If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides. If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides. It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldtodabone
    If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides.
    Because the slides are great trails. You know when you ride Chair 6 - summit chair - you look over there and say to yourself, I wish I was over there!"

If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides.
    I agree that whiteface needs to plan to keep there skiers safe but using your criteria " The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there." whiteface would have to close all the advanced trails and all the intermediate trails just to keep the beginner safe. That does not make sense. Those are unreasonable standards. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.

It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.
    I agree with you that whiteface ski patrol makes the day to day decisions on whether to open a trail but the management sets up the basic rules and tone that they implement. I want to see both management and ski patrol take another look at the criteria they use to open the slides and loosen it to come inline with criteria used to open trails all over the northeast.

asland

I agree 100%. and if someone cant read the giant orange warning signs, they deserve to tumble down the slides. It would be nice for management to open them, they are nice and they are supposed to be difficult (that's why its a double black)

If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides. If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides. It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.
    +1. I think they run it well. This means, of course, that I've never skied them (some days that they were open, you needed a beacon and shovel, some days they looked skiable but weren't open), but I recognize that the mountain has to run it like that to keep the riff raff out.

If you almost injured yourself avoiding people doing the snow plow then you were the one out of control. I do the snow plow all the time if you cant check your speed behind me then you are at fault not me. I have ben skiing them for year and I dont notice vey many people in there that dont belong. Yeah some are better than others but people have to learn somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    If you almost injured yourself avoiding people doing the snow plow then you were the one out of control. I do the snow plow all the time if you cant check your speed behind me then you are at fault not me. I have ben skiing them for year and I dont notice vey many people in there that dont belong. Yeah some are better than others but people have to learn somehow.
    They should learn on some other trail, and then take what they've learned to the slides. I have no problem avoiding bad skiers (I do it all the time at Whiteface ), but I'd much rather that they weren't on the slides when I finally get my chance to rip em up.

One think we forget is the Litigious Society we live in. I remember when we could ski just about anywhere with out repercussions. It comes down to lawyers and insurance company's

Quote Originally Posted by whipple
    One think we forget is the Litigious Society we live in. I remember when we could ski just about anywhere with out repercussions. It comes down to lawyers and insurance company's
    Come on! New York State's Lawyers for Whiteface are just as good as the lawyers that figured out how to make this work for Jay, Smuggler's Notch, Sugarbush, Stowe... Again the rules that whiteface has imposed do not make sense. They are unreasonable. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.

Quote Originally Posted by asland
    Quote Originally Posted by whipple
    Come on! New York State's Lawyers for Whiteface are just as good as the lawyers that figured out how to make this work for Jay, Smuggler's Notch, Sugarbush, Stowe... Again the rules that whiteface has imposed do not make sense. They are unreasonable. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.
    I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that the laws are more strict in NY for ski areas then they are in VT. For instance, you can't legally allow boundry to boundry skiing at a NY ski area.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.