View Poll Results: Do you think the slides should be open more?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely, the slides need to be open more!

14 60.87%
  • I would keep the same old super strict rules regarding the opening of the slides

6 26.09%
  • I think they should close the slides to build new luxury condos for the super rich

3 13.04%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Exactly,loosen up.After all ,they advertise them agressivley enough.And I hate this idea that if you go out and buy an avie kit,your'e a safer skier.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWHERE
    Exactly,loosen up.After all ,they advertise them agressivley enough.And I hate this idea that if you go out and buy an avie kit,your'e a safer skier.
    I don't think the avy kit implies that you're a safer skier, rather I think the point of requiring an avy kit on more "marginal" days is intended to weed out, and I don't mean to be condescending here, the "less serious" skiers, specifically those who might just happen to be at the mountain, perhaps for the first time, and the slides open.

Human nature dictates that many people will "try it", just because they're at the right place at the right time. That puts others, in particular ski patrol, at risk, should a rescue be needed for someone who probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. That's not to say that people don't try trails that are "over their head", but at least on a "cleared trail", the risks to all involved are reduced. When all is said and done .... IT'S ALL ABOUT RISK MANAGEMENT!

Getting the slides open more frequently comes down to one thing ... MOTHER NATURE!!!

well said

the weeding out used to be making people hike up into the slides for 10+ mins longer than if they let us in right next to the lift. In a marginal snow year it makes no sense to send us up higher to make the hike harder thus weeding out the tourist that happens to be in the right place at the right time that will hurt themselves.

the avy kit serves the same purpose - only very committed hard core skiers will have a peeps / beacon in the east

its a must have if you are skiing the high peaks anyway and is a good thing to have skiing even inbounds out west - last year there where multiple fatalities in avalchances out west inbounds