Thread: Weekend Outlook

Weekend Outlook

Does anyone know if they're still making snow on Skyward? They had started this past Saturday, but the conditions report is not showing any snowmaking on the upper mountain. I've got a friend who was thinking of coming up for his first time at Whiteface this weekend, but if Skyward isn't going to be open, I'll probably tell him to wait for another weekend.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Post that question over on Whitefaces facebook page. You will get a quicker response. I would but I am at work and it is blocked. Oh yeah can you let me know I was planning on skiing sky all weekend long. I think it is going to be open.

Welt according to Accuweather some snow is coming in for the beginning of the weekend (thursday night into Friday) which usually means upper Mt. will be reasonably windy. I havnt personally heard too much on the skyward situation but if it gets too windy then the snow will just blow into the trees. As far as weather though this is suppose to be a small system Sunday looks good it says partly cloudy and 15. I do suggest posting on FB as that could be quicker and you would get a response from WF themselves most likely.

From the Whiteface FaceBook page ...

It is currently snowing at the big mountain! Snowmaking also continues on Mountain Run, Excelsior, Upper Valley, Lower Valley, Thruway, Mackenzie, and Boreen. Snowmaking resumes tomorrow morning on Skyward, we had a brief power issue that is currently being remedied. Conditions are stellar!!!! Come out and play!!!!
    Yesterday at 4:52pm
    Conditions report is still not showing any snowmaking on Skyward this morning.

Bummer!

Gondola, Little Whiteface and Mixing Bowl lifts all on hold or closed ... guess they're still working the electrical problem(s)!

The good news is that the forecast is showing continued cold weather through the next two weeks, so hopefully worst case, we'll only lose one weekend once they get things resolved, and best case, maybe they'll be able to get it open if the problems can be fixed soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    Bummer!

Gondola, Little Whiteface and Mixing Bowl lifts all on hold or closed ... guess they're still working the electrical problem(s)!

The good news is that the forecast is showing continued cold weather through the next two weeks, so hopefully worst case, we'll only lose one weekend once they get things resolved, and best case, maybe they'll be able to get it open if the problems can be fixed soon!!!
    From our office on Watertower Hill in Colchester, I see that the top of the mountain is in the clouds right now. What kind of clouds, though, I am not sure - they don't look full of precipitation to me.

Unrelated question - since Whiteface is on public land, can I just hike it? Not that I don't have a ticket, but I do have a pair of brand new skins that I'd like to test out.

Quote Originally Posted by -=koLLac=-
    Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    Bummer!

From our office on Watertower Hill in Colchester, I see that the top of the mountain is in the clouds right now. What kind of clouds, though, I am not sure - they don't look full of precipitation to me.

Unrelated question - since Whiteface is on public land, can I just hike it? Not that I don't have a ticket, but I do have a pair of brand new skins that I'd like to test out.
    No there is no uphill traffic in the winter season unless otherwise specified by WF management. They do have hiking trails on the mt. not sure if they still do but you cant hike up any ski trails

Quote Originally Posted by nyspnypd

No there is no uphill traffic in the winter season unless otherwise specified by WF management. They do have hiking trails on the mt. not sure if they still do but you cant hike up any ski trails
    Thank! Won't go breaking any rules this weekend then I figured since I was already planning on being there...I'll just find another uphill to give them a quick try. Perhaps I'll just stay here in VT.

From the Whiteface web-site ....

> New Trails opening Sugar Valley Glades open at Deer Valley section of Wilmington trail 10 am - 2 pm. Upper Skyward & Niagara set to open today
    > Snowmaking on Upper Skyward / Niagara has resumed.
    Now we're talking!!!