Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    How about a roller field. That flat spot would be perfect for this. The kind you see at the bottom of gate race training. 6 or 7 rollers about 2 feet high. Kids and adults love these too. Great for mogul lessons too!
    You know what else is good for Mogul lessons? Trails with Moguls on them!!!!! More mogul Trails!!!!

^^^^ He's got a point there. Moguls are rather non existant at Gore.

Let's keep praying for that bumped up Double Barrel trail, Matt.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I think we should launch a campaign to keep Topridge permanently bumped. It's the perfect trail for it. It's out of the way (so it doesn't inhibit traffic flow like a fully bumped Hawkeye might, it gets the sun (so it can soften up earlier than other trails), and it's in front of a lift (so people know what they're getting into). Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    I think we should launch a campaign to keep Topridge permanently bumped. It's the perfect trail for it. It's out of the way (so it doesn't inhibit traffic flow like a fully bumped Hawkeye might, it gets the sun (so it can soften up earlier than other trails), and it's in front of a lift (so people know what they're getting into). Perfect.
    Matt....You answered this question before I could ask it.

My question was going to be.... what blue and what black trail(s) should be left as bumpers? IMO you should have a blue bumper as well, for learning.

Do you need more than one of each level so you can mow one down when needed and keep the other bumped?

Also does it make sense to groom one side so that non-bump skiers can get by? I skied a molehill in the Poconos where they did this...it was great because you could try 10 or 30 bumps and bail when you got tired.

And if you're going to let Topridge bump out then would you have to make sure that Uncas/Tannery or Pine Knot/Tannery was good to go at all times?

Gore is the kind of funky mountain that SHOULD offer bump skiing all season.

If they want, they can leave one side of the Arena bumped up all year (I would prefer natural bumps, though, not those huge crappy mounds that they ran the bump contest on). That would create a good lap for the jibbers, with a run through the terrain park on Wild Air, then straight into a nice zipper line on Arena (maybe with a permanent kicker on the bottom of the bumps).

Since this is probably not going to happen (too much stuff going on on that trail between Snow Mountain Biking, Rail Jams, etc.), I nominate the part of Open Pit after Upper Darby cuts through for an easier (and shorter) bump run.

The problem (and the cool part) with Gore is that the trails are kind of narrow, so a half and half trail would be hard to come by (only Arena springs to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    The problem (and the cool part) with Gore is that the trails are kind of narrow, so a half and half trail would be hard to come by (only Arena springs to mind).
    Agreed--if the trail isn't truly wide enough for both groomed and bumped lines then both would stink. And you'd be surprised how wide it really needs to be to work well--I'm thinking of some Loaf runs that do it: Skidder, Haulback, Spillway. All are fairly wide when compared to most Gore trails. Another possibility would be Lies, but that may be heresy given the love of GS turns down that one.

The bump line always takes up more room than you envision. It basically needs to be at least 6 bumps wide otherwise it just gets smeared off with everybody hopping in and out of the line.

Harv--I've skied down at Blue Mt. before on that trail they often have 1/2 bumped. Pretty weak, but basically the only moguls in MASH except for Elk. On one particular night there, several of the moguls--which were hard packed and iced over--were soaked with blood. You don't see that in the brochure!

I think that if you want a trail for both bumped and groomed skiiers, then it does need to be pretty wide as others have said. But it the intent is a learning trail, then a groomed path on the side is enough to let a novice bail. As a bump novice myself, I can say that having a place to bail, makes it much less intimidating.

Leaving short sections on a long trail like twister could also be good for learning.

tom

The newly widened Wild Air is obviously out. We need a park and from what Fuje says, it's a good set up.

Tom...IMO parts of Twister is a good idea. Echo is wide at points where it has pitch, but I it's now the race course.

Matt...I agree - no more widening - PLEASE. Especially up top. I'd actually like to see some trees planted in a few places.

Siawol...you nailed it - I was at Blue Mtn on those bumps. I think it was Racers Edge or Challenge. One of the two "double blacks."

Hey HPD....I know you are pretty hands off on this forum and I for one REALLY appreciate it. But I wonder if you could break this thread out, (starting maybe with Matts post or whatever you think ?) into "The Gore Mtn Mogul Thread" or something like that. The Wild Air thread is important and shouldn't be drifted and I think the Mogul Issue needs a current thread too. And who knows, Gore Mgmt may pay more attention to separate properly titled threads.

HPD--agree a mogul thread might be more approp.

If Gore was my mountain:

Blue--like twister, I would have 2-3 areas along the widest part where small mogul fields would be allowed to exist....maybe 6 moguls wide and 20-30 long. No higher than 18-24 inches, if possible. For sure it would get beginner Mogul skiers there, testing then and then having fun down the rest of that really fun slope.

Black---let mother earth and skiers form the field---from tree to tree. If you go in, your in. I would rather not have kids or beginners dropping in and out from groom/bumps. Or...if they do go in...they wont come back until they are more prepared---see Twister above. A full mogul run is great for the brochures/web. Just look around---Hey Marketing, help us out.

I agree. One of my favorite trails at Mt. Snow was beartrap. Not to steep lots of bumps and music playing. Gore could make a blue bump run on Quicksilver, most novices stay on sunway. Just put a sign at the enterance that mogals are below.