Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I got the following E-mail from the Big K. It represents other ski areas approach to moguls and marketing. With an area skier, Hannah Kearney winning Gold in the women's Olympic mogul competition, it makes very good sense to have fresh moguls and clinics for moguls skills. What a great idea ! Excellent marketing and customer service.

The win by Hannah Kearney was a great Olympic win. The last competitor, Kearney was in a do or die situtation against very stiff competition. She stared it down and ripped one great run. Excellence under great pressure while facing very stiff competition. To me it, was VERY Olympic !!! Way cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Greetings Drifters!

Fresh snow has fallen at Killington Resort as the U.S. Ski Team continues to pile up Gold, Silver and Bronze medals at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. We want to send special congratulations out to Vermonters Hannah Kearney for grabbing the Gold in women’s moguls, joining Donna Weinbrecht - who grew up honing her bump-bashing skills on the slopes of Killington - as the only American women to have taken Gold in the sport, and Killington Mountain School Alumni Michael Morse, who posted a solid 15th place finish in the men’s moguls. To celebrate their accomplishments, we’re offering freshly seeded bumps and specialty clinics to help you master the moguls at the Beast of the East!

Moguls, Moguls and more Moguls
    Start small and go big! We’ve seeded moguls on MTS (Easier) and Vertigo (Most Advanced) to add to the fresh snowmaking moguls on Outer Limits – the steepest, longest mogul trail in the East. Plus, we’ll be adding more seeded moguls on Upper Wildfire and Mousetrap for the coming weekend. Find out more in the Killington Insider.

Bump It Up at Killington
    Sharpen your bump-bashing skills by training with mogul coaches from Killington Ski School and the Killington Competitions Department at our Mogul Camp Weekend this Saturday and Sunday. This weekend includes camps for both kids and adults and a limited number of spots are still available. Call 800-923-9444 for reservations. We’re also offering Trees & Steeps, Learn to Fly and Women’s Clinics this weekend too!

$150 Three-Day Deal Grabber Tickets
    This week’s Deal Grabber serves up three-day tickets valid for Feb. 26-28 or Feb. 27-March 1 for just $150. But hurry, tickets are limited and only available for purchase through Thursday, Feb. 18 at 11:59 p.m. if not sold out before!

Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge
    Get into the Olympic spirit by racing against family and friends as the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge returns to Killington on Saturday, Feb. 27. Registration is FREE and takes place at the Snowshed Lodge. Plus, tons of prizes will be awarded at the afternoon Victory Party.

Snow Blind Deals are Back!
    Looking for a last minute deal? Are you flexible enough to book your lodging blind? Then Snow Blind is for you! You'll get incredible last-minute prices, but you won't know the name of the property until after you've completed the reservation. Plus, you can add on lift tickets at a 25% discount. Reservations must be made online at least 48 hours before arrival.

We Scan, You Win
    Congratulations to Robert F. of Killington, VT for winning a pair of Fischer skis in this week’s We Scan, You Win promotion. This week’s prize is a pair of Killington lift tickets. Remember to flash your Season Pass or Express Card for scanning at every lift for a chance to win.

Good Luck Chelsea!
    Killington’s Chelsea Marshall competes in the Olympic Super G on Saturday at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. Good Luck Chelsea!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    I got some general mogul questions if someone would be kind enough to answer.

1) What do the other resorts do.....just leave moguls there forever even tho they get rock hard or way dished out?

2) Does blowing snow on an existing mogul field work, feasible/safe to ski after and would it soften them up?

3)Once a trail is groomed moguls don't seem to want to form.....BUT sometimes they start to spring up on groomed Foxlair....is that because of large amount of traffic? Does steepness help to grow moguls a groomed trail?

4) If a groomed trail was not groomed again, would moguls appear?

5) What would you say is your favorite size mogul.... A,B,C or D cup?
    Good bump runs need a sustained pitch for a while. Sure, Upper Darby gets bumped, but there's not much flow to it. Same with Lower Steil. Good bump runs also tend to be noticeable from the catwalk/goat path/access trail. That way a grom can ski up to it, check it out, say "No way" and skate over to the next groomed trail. People like to look, but when faced with a choice will defer to their gut and take the safe option. Problem with Rumor is once you're over the lip and looking down the headwall it's too late--you pretty much have to ski it. It is one of the issues with Gore. Open Pit might work well, as would Hullabaloo. Both Chati and Hawkeye lend themselves to 1/2 groomed, 1/2 bumped---except for the flat spots...It'd be a tough sell on Lies because of it's status as a top to bottom Super-G ripper type run. You don't necessarily need snowmaking on a bump run, but as long as it's near a trail that does (and one that gets freshened up periodically) then the blowover will keep it resurfaced.

informative. thanks Siawol.

I never understood why Gore doesn't have mogul runs. They are so popular. Based on what Siawol said and other factors, I still think Double Barrel should be made a trail and left bumped. it's visible from the lift, so groms could decided, and it's got snow making pipes around it. It would not take much to get it ready. I think it would be very popular with the mogul minded or hot shot skiers, which I'm not.

Side note - With the economic climate the way it is, it would be slick if volunteers could be organized to do work for the mtn's improvement.....like tearing down the old gondi building, cutting out glades, clearing off Double Barrel, etc. I would bet we could do some good work and add some jazz to the hill. Others use volunteers quite effectively. We could help Gore during these tough times.

Anybody with the management's ear might wanna brouch the subject with them. I'ld help.

Double Barrel becoming a trail would go along way to repairing the public relations that have suffered this year.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Side note - With the economic climate the way it is, it would be slick if volunteers could be organized to do work for the mtn's improvement.....like tearing down the old gondi building, cutting out glades, clearing off Double Barrel, etc. I would bet we could do some good work and add some jazz to the hill. Others use volunteers quite effectively. We could help Gore during these tough times.
    Good idea, but again it runs up against the restrictions inside the blue line. I don't know where they draw the line between forest preserve and intensive use area, but I bet that tearing down the old gondola building is probably out of the question. As for volunteers cutting or thinning out glades, that will never happen with Gore's approval, tacit or otherwise. When they were cutting the trails for Sagamore a few summers ago, they had to bury the wood there or cut it up for firewood that could be burned ONLY at Gore. As it is, Gore makes believe that it doesn't happen. Why? Check out these articles:

http://northernwoodlands.org/article...for_the_woods/

http://www.vtlife.com/current_issue/...il-cutting.htm

No matter how sensible your suggestion is, it seems to run afoul of the requirements of forest management inside the park. It's the kind of thing that would make "Protect the Adirondacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" run to court to stop.

Any suggestions about volunteers should follow the pattern about sharing secret stashes -- ONLY with trusted people and ONLY by word of mouth, not on forums like these.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

its allmost spring,where moguls will be a plenty,so happy bumpin,ull prolly wish for groomers then,lol..when at wf last week there were no moguls,except the run on wilderness,an not 1 person skied them ,,rock,rock hard,,there terrain park was not what it has been,and no half pipe....they did have a skier cross,for the public,but that was pretty lame.

At our 700 foot mt in Gettysburg, we allow two trails to never be goomed...bumps start naturally in early December by skiers....then we blow the crap out of them daily...more skiers, deeper bumps. Yep at night, they get rock hard. Ice bumps..sometimes they are actually blue. But overall, they melt, move, get soft etc. 10 yr ago the bumps would stay in the same places...today with inexpereinced boarders...they scrapes the tops down and the bumps move on warm days.

That works in Md/PA...where it is definitely warmer and we have less experienced riders. Not sure the same could be said for Gore.