Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    I have not read the whole thread yet, but i saw electric car mentioned: In reducing pollution, Chevy Volt is only as good as method by which electricity is takes is produced, and most of it is made by burning fuels.
    I have seen differing points of view on this issue. Here is one:

http://www.ecohuddle.com/wiki/introd...ctric-scooters

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard this argument from multiple sources.

SB - sorry for the misquote. I'll be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    SB - sorry for the misquote. I'll be more careful.
    Oh no. i was only referring to how you corrected my spelling of Enviroment by adding an "N". so i took the opportunity to bust a funny! i'm like that.

nO WoRriEs haRV! wE CoOl!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Harv,NYPD and Denison all bring up good points.

Having said that, we gotta make a start somewhere. there is value in just getting started. No one answer is going to be perfect from the get go and we do have to get moving on this. over time the vehicles will get much, much better just like everything else we have. i.e. home movies. remember when 8mm movie cameras were the rage? now i have a pocket snap shot camera that also takes hours of movies - with sound and lots of bells and whistles. Remember when VCR's were $500? now they're less than $50. DVD players are even better and still cheap!

i do think that electric cars charged even from a coal plant prolly make less pollution than a gasoline car. either way, once people start buying Electric cars en masse they will get light years better and be affordable. i really think it's possible to have a semi selfcharging plugin electric car run for hours down the Super Slab at 70mph.

ever ride in an electric car? they're fast as hell! freegin rockets! they're also VERY quiet. next time you're at a red light listening to the vehicles rumble by, imagine they are all turned off.that is what you would here if they were electric vehicles. once people fully realize this perhaps it will boost appeal.

unfortunately unless gasoline hits $4.00 or more per gallon people can't seem to change their buying habits. that day is coming soon. then the masses will be bitchin for hydrids/electrics.

i was disappointed when i saw on the news the most purchased vehicle during cash for clunkers was 1/2 ton pickups. hope that was incorrect info.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Harv,NYPD and Denison all bring up good points.

Having said that, we gotta make a start somewhere. there is value in just getting started. No one answer is going to be perfect from the get go and we do have to get moving on this. over time the vehicles will get much, much better just like everything else we have. i.e. home movies. remember when 8mm movie cameras were the rage? now i have a pocket snap shot camera that also takes hours of movies - with sound and lots of bells and whistles. Remember when VCR's were $500? now they're less than $50. DVD players are even better and still cheap!

i do think that electric cars charged even from a coal plant prolly make less pollution than a gasoline car. either way, once people start buying Electric cars en masse they will get light years better and be affordable. i really think it's possible to have a semi selfcharging plugin electric car run for hours down the Super Slab at 70mph.

ever ride in an electric car? they're fast as hell! freegin rockets! they're also VERY quiet. next time you're at a red light listening to the vehicles rumble by, imagine they are all turned off.that is what you would here if they were electric vehicles. once people fully realize this perhaps it will boost appeal.

unfortunately unless gasoline hits $4.00 or more per gallon people can't seem to change their buying habits. that day is coming soon. then the masses will be bitchin for hydrids/electrics.

i was disappointed when i saw on the news the most purchased vehicle during cash for clunkers was 1/2 ton pickups. hope that was incorrect info.
    the thing with electric cars which makes them so fast is a gasoline engine has to pick up momentum and get the power to the engine with an electric car you get the full 100% of the power instantly so you can take off with no noise what so ever which is very nice I will take quiet over a loud rumbling engine any day.

i just got an e-mail from toyota. the new Prius, a plug in hybrid, is moving things along. this prius will be able to achieve highway speeds in electric only mode. to me that's a major milestone. in electric only mode it will go 12 miles then the hybride mode takes over. 12 miles is not much i know but marketing comes into play. toyota seems to have a nice balance there. the car can go any distance with the hybrid mode and still if a buyer wants electric only, run to the store, school etc, that buyer can have it and still have a go any distance car. this is very important. nobody is gonna buy an expensive all electric car that only goes a few miles esp. a one car family or person.

with the hybrids - No Worries! go as far as you want.

when people start buying these things en masse, we will get the car we desperately need. then it's so long to kissing OPEC's ass and hello cleaner air, bluebird skies and American wealth. we have lost the biggest fortune in history to our oil dependency. that money needs to stay home.

i really think we can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    i just got an e-mail from toyota. the new Prius, a plug in hybrid, is moving things along. this prius will be able to achieve highway speeds in electric only mode. to me that's a major milestone. in electric only mode it will go 12 miles then the hybride mode takes over. 12 miles is not much i know but marketing comes into play. toyota seems to have a nice balance there. the car can go any distance with the hybrid mode and still if a buyer wants electric only, run to the store, school etc, that buyer can have it and still have a go any distance car. this is very important. nobody is gonna buy an expensive all electric car that only goes a few miles esp. a one car family or person.

with the hybrids - No Worries! go as far as you want.

when people start buying these things en masse, we will get the car we desperately need. then it's so long to kissing OPEC's a** and hello cleaner air, bluebird skies and American wealth. we have lost the biggest fortune in history to our oil dependency. that money needs to stay home.

i really think we can do this.
    yeah the prius they have right now has solar panels on the roof that power the Heat and A/C which I find neat and a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by nyspnypd
    yes it is. i think more shoulda been addressed in the stimulus bill. like getting more photovoltaic panels on the millions of roofs in the sunbelt. just look down when you fly and you'll quickly see what i mean. the economy of scale woulda reduced prices and raised efficiencies.

i saw new rules or laws coming in effect or perhaps proposed in NY. these will require future Windmill operators to do an up front study to see if the electric infrastructure is sufficient for their project before they build. this applies to 80 megawatt and up projects. the best winds in NY are upstate and in the Buffalo area while the greatest need for juice is in NYC.

Transmission bottlenecks or complete lack of transmission lines is what put T. Boone Pickens' very large windproject on hold. He already had ordered the many large turbines that he now cannot install. He promises to go forward saying he can't just store them in his garage. lol

i wonder what ever happened to Superconductivity. does it have any application in generators?

The bitch is are the oil/utility companies just putting up various smoke screens to prevent a change in the status quo.

we seem to have lost that CAN DO! spirit that used to infect our country.