http://www.poststar.com/news/local/a...cc4c03286.html

Though i doubt it will effect many out-of-the-area skiers on here, i post this FYI.

The Crown Point bridge crossing Lake Champlain between Crown Point, NY and Chimney Point, VT. was closed indefinitely 10-16-09. This forces a 100 mile detour. the bridge had been under going repairs to it's super structure for months when it was discovered the pier(s) are badly cracked and may actually fall apart completely dropping the bridge into the lake.

the situation looks grim. Many people commute across this bridge for work. the 100 mile detour will be quite the gauntlet for them. 3400 cars daily cross this bridge. The description of the pier damage does not bode well for reopening. perhaps they can encase the whole pier with concrete and save the day. perhaps.

Ferries do cross the Lake but they are some distance away and only the one at Burlington runs all year. none of them will be able to keep up with the crossing demand.

i believe locals used to do an unofficial " ice road " across the southern lake end with entrance and exit using boat ramps. but not sure if it's still done.