Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Big Tupper Thread

Guys...I got nothing really. I just thought we should have a Big Tupper thread.

There are certainly folks who do know what's going on up there...maybe they will post here.

And maybe this thread should be on the Whiteface side...maybe Big Tupper is really Whiteface's "Hickory"... the little reborn ski hill down the road.

Or maybe it should be in the Miscellaneous Forum. But then Miscellaneous seems like a graveyard...not exactly what Big Tupper needs.

Anyway it's here.

You may have seen this aerial already:

I also found this:

Big Tupper Trail Map

That trail map doesn't have the top part of the mountain . . . You can see the top part in that aerial photo, though (a couple of trails anyway). Top part had some sweet cliffs to jump off (and pretty flat landings).

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    That trail map doesn't have the top part of the mountain . . . You can see the top part in that aerial photo, though (a couple of trails anyway). Top part had some sweet cliffs to jump off (and pretty flat landings).
    Not sure of the date of the map, but it was done sometime in the 1970s... before the upper mountain terrain was added, I guess. At the top of that map, there is a higher peak in the distance....I wonder if they had plans for, or dreams of, accessing the Mt Morris summit.

I just found this....it's comedy. Love the wingspan style of the skiers:

Also the claim that Tupper is "one of the snowiest locations in the east." Looks like the longterm average annual snowfall for downtown Tupper Lake is somewhere around 105 inches. More on the mountain for sure but how much? Looks like minimal lake effect.

Not sure why I am so into this Big Tupper thing. I just like it. Here's a link to the old stuff I've found so far:

Harvey Road Big Tupper Collection

I skied Big Tupper 1 day xmas break 1989-90. I think it was a pretty good Dec for snow. Most of the mountain was open and it was lightly snowing all day and about 15 degrees. From my very vague memory I remember having a nice day. I think you had to ski down quite a bit from the top of the main face to get to the upper chair. There was 1 trail open from the top. It was a long flat trail with marginal snow conditions. About 70% of the mountain was open. I was staying in Schroon Lake and it took a long time to get to the mountain. I had skied BT for a few days in the early 1960s when I was first learning to ski.

I always wanted to go back, but when I am at my place in NC it is either Gore or WF. Maybe if it reopens I can motivate to head up the BT again.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    I always wanted to go back, but when I am at my place in NC it is either Gore or WF. Maybe if it reopens I can motivate to head up the BT again.
    Totally get that. Being in North River...it's got to be epic at Whiteface to get me to drive past Gore. If I get to both BT and Hick this year I'll be psyched.

This is a start. TBar has been "approved" by APA:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=865444

Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

I was tooling around the CS Films website after being turned onto those guys by Snowballs and Fuj here, and I found this sick video from last year:

It was all filmed at Big Tupper. A couple of tree skiing segments . . . Mostly BC jibbing. It looks like a lot of it has become overgrown (and there's a pretty big task ahead of the volunteers), but the skiing still looks sick.

Matt - That's a great video that I am going to add to my collection.

Here's a really crude trail map I came across. It's not pretty but it shows more (all?) of the terrain.

EDIT: Matt - that is a really great video. The resolution, the music, the quality of the skiers, the quality of the snow. There's some cold smoke in some of those shots. Love the fact that it is lightly snowing like at the end of a storm. The jibbing is cool. The whole vibe. Really like it.

We went up to Tupper Lake last week to check out Big Tupper.

Here's the first installment ... Big Tupper on Harvey Road.

Part 2 posted today: Big Tupper Lower Mountain Tour

It's more about the hill itself vs the real estate.

Was kind of a gray day but still some decent images...

BT Part 3

Man a lot of excitement. Really tried to focus on the skiing, but can't seem to get off the real estate.

Everyone wants to talk about it, but many want to be anonymous. (?)

Posted Part 3: Big Tupper Summit Tour

Can't wait to ski.