Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

They got money...not sure how much

Thanks Skiing. I'm with you on the stone dust surface vs paving. Stone dust is much more durable, easily repaired and it pedals/rolls real nice, almost as easy as pavement. Read somewhere it's a lil harder on bikes - prolly the high dollar road bikes. I still vote for the stone dust.

Hopefully they can at least get the line in the Federal Rail Bank. Glad you joined. I and hopefully others will follow suit.

Please keep us posted on project news.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Feel Rail Magizine.

This is a well made magizine (see link below)......maybe it would be a good idea to subscribe everyone in North River, or get lots of free copies and set them in stores. It def shows the value of a good trail to the community and State.

They are about to finish a rail/trail that will follow the c.o canal starting in front of the Watergate Hotel in DC and go all the way to North Pittsburgh...about 150 miles. Ohio just finished 78 miles....if someone gets a plan about 40 miles would connect these.

Whether it is the C/O canal trail or the NCR trail near my home.....the bikers/runners are 1) 20-80 yrs old....many kids under 6 but not (unfortunately) between 6 and 20. 2) middle income---guessed by the bikes and clothes. 3) in shape. 4) willing to spend cash. And there are ALOT of them. Noise? None. In fact you hear mothers/fathers saying SHHH...we are in nature. North River...this will be a boon for you! I do understand the concern if snow mobiles would be permitted. Not sure how that would work...so I have no opinion.

online@railstotrails.org

More Evidence of the Bicycle's Prowess

This week's Chronicle carries an article on a new area bicycle event for next August. The event is a 6 day ride from this area, Queensbury, to Montreal. The event, billed as a tour vacation will go thru Lake George, Ticonderoga, Plattsburg then Montreal.
    OVER 2,000 CYCLISTS ARE EXPECTED! Tour organizer's say usually 1,500 would be expected for such an event but because of the location well over 2,000 are expected! What a boost to the area economy! Bicycles are starting to raining hundreds of thousands of dollars on this area. The Tahawus Trail will freekin rock esp. if they have the " Teddy Roosevelt's Wild Ride to the Presidency Bicycle Race " each year. Cyclists LOVE to race. They also love to tour or just ride. They have money and they will travel to cool locations in droves.

This area is well postioned to become a Bike Mecca. It needs somebody like a Downhill Mike to pull it together. A person with passion and insight could do well for the area. It wouldn't be long before it's nationally then globally known to the cycle world. Bicycle tourism is green, low impact, low noise and usually needs no new infrastructure or at least very little and that infrastructure is very low maintainance.

Who in the heck wouldn't wanna ride here? Face, best in the East Downhill. Tour de Battenkil, Best in the Nation tour, Gore and West mtn downhill. Tahawus Trail, Lake Champlain trail plus many other trails. i would even market all the thousands of lakes and tell them wicked cool spots to swim/picnic while they ride/visit, linking together different trails, lodging, camping, dining and plenty of other tourist stuff all surrounded by ADK beauty.

More info www.velo.qc.ca

calling DHMike

Mike you reading listening. This trail will bring you customers for sure. You rock man. Here is somewinter work

This bike tour is BIG! North Creek could cash in with the Tahawus bike trail. It needs to at least be placed in the rail land bank for safe keeping, WHILE NATIONAL LEAD IS IN THE MOOD. I may have to get active in that pursuit. Cyclists have money and are more than glad to travel, esp to nature type locations.

http://capitalregion.ynn.com/?ArID=501986

Tour de Battenkill ( a great tubing river!) The bike thing in Ticonderoga I posted earlier and the Bike park at Face......There's a huge hole right in the middle, North Creek!

Stirling.....are you on this one?

" The Battenkill Pro Invitational is one of only six races on the international professional calendar and featured a strong cast of international cyclists."- Post Star.

I find that impressive for a race that's only been around 6 years. When any of the Cyclists are interviewed on local TV, they're very enthusiastic about the Battenkill events and tend to speaking in glowing terms about the events and the area's course. There's different ride days in the spring spreading over 2 weekends and then another few days of events later in the year. A few years ago, we were going to the River to tube it and there were riders everywhere, all day. It was cool watching them ride as we drove along and they even crossed the covered bridge where we exit the river at Rexleigh. That year, bikes were also racing downtown Glens Falls.

Home / News / Local
    Fairley wins, Landis second at Battenkill Pro Invitiational
    Story Discussion Will Springstead springstead@poststar.com | Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:11 pm | (0) Comments

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size CAMBRIDGE -- Caleb Fairley won the Tour of the Battenkill Pro Invitational cycling race on Sunday.

Floyd Landis, who won the Tour de France in 2006 before being stripped of his title, finished second. The finish was Landis' best in eight races this season. His previous high finish was 19th. Landis was scheduled to ride here last (sic) year, but pulled out on the eve of the event.

Jay Robert Thompson was third.

The Battenkill Pro Invitational is one of only six races on the international professional calendar and featured a strong cast of international cyclists.

For more on this story, check back to poststar.com later Sunday or in Monday's paper.

Rail Trail support

The Friends of the Upper Hudson Rail Trail have updated their website at www.upperhudson.org. They need $$ to support progress toward making the trail a reality. Sign up for a membership today.

Got this in the e-box today. ADK bike trails.

http://visitadirondacks.com/newsroom...ign=2010spring

No mention of Whiteface, Wilmington or Gore biking trails.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bike just any old trail, official hiking trail, etc in the ADK's? Sure would hate to get in trouble or have Ranger Rick take my bike.

Bikes are not allowed in Wilderness.

Wildforest yes. Moose River Plains has huge bike potential.

Rules are funny because you can use horse draw wagons in the Wilderness at certain times of year. (Hunting).

It's a traditional use so I think that 's why they allow it.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com