Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks Harv. I've never been up to the Moose River Plains (and Black River?). They look really scenic in photos. Great canoeing too, I believe.

DEC announced this week they figure there's between 400-500 Moose in NY. Sure would like to see some. 5 years ago there was a Mama moose unt 2 babies right here in my neighborhood all summer but we had no luck seeing them. We see all kinds of wildlife as we get about but no moose!!! Maybe this year. We will be going back to Maine to ride the Quads and eat Lobsters. FYI as low as $3.00 per lb for those of you who like Lobster. Perhaps we'll see some Moose too. They would require ALOT of butter, eh?
    incoming .................DUCK !

moose

DEC announced this week they figure there's between 400-500 Moose in NY. Sure would like to see some. 5 years ago there was a Mama moose unt 2 babies right here in my neighborhood all summer but we had no luck seeing them. We see all kinds of wildlife as we get about but no moose!!! Maybe this year

Look at GM photo of the day.....Really cool. I heard lots of noise behind my home wonder if baby or momma were nearby. This looks like the big curve, I am close to it.

Re: moose

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    Look at GM photo of the day.....Really cool. I heard lots of noise behind my home wonder if baby or momma were nearby. This looks like the big curve, I am close to it.
    Hey that's cool. It may have been Moosesis you heard. Be careful. They can be very aggressive.

We can't wait to see one. My honey thinks they're beautiful.....I think they're dumb looking.

Maybe you heard a Sasquatch Iskiing......There's a Police Officer from Whitehall ( southern point of Lake Champlain) who swears the Beastie Susquatch walked right across in front of his police cruiser one night.

I haven't seen one of those yet either. Not sure I'ld admit it if I did. hehehe.

Another good story Snoballs. Thanks.

Been meaning to post this question, maybe you have heard. I heard rumor that since the Fed govt is going to spend money to fix up the rail south of NC for some business down there, that the quary in North River is planning on reopening the line in NC commercially. If that occurs, would I be right in saying the Tawhus trail would be dead...or Indian North River might be the start.

Iskiing, all I've seen is the article http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c002e0.html which I believe you've seen. It reads to me like the cargo aspect from NC is still very tenative. Not sure where the Barton connection is at on the rail line but probably would eliminate the lower portion of the Tahawus Bike trail.??? Sure hope this speculation doesn't prevent the whole line from being placed in the Federal Rail Bank. My heart is with the whole line becoming a bike trail but my mind kinda supports the cargo aspect too.

* Warren County Planning and Community Development Committee

Top story

* Warren County Economic Development Corp. President Len Fosbrook said officials with the Olympic Regional Development Authority have talked to an event promoter about bringing a 100-mile cycling race to the region next summer. ORDA has recommended Warren County as the site for the event, Fosbrook said, although no discussions have been held yet with the promoter.

Fosbrook declined to name the promoter, but said during the meeting that he was involved in the Lake Placid Ironman triathlon and now organizes cycling events in the Midwest and Canada.

County supervisors and department heads met Tuesday to discuss recruiting the event and reviewed a presentation from ORDA about its potential impact.

The committee expressed its support for pursuing the event. The next step will be arranging a meeting with the promoter, Fosbrook said.

http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c03286.html

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    * ORDA has recommended Warren County as the site for the event, Fosbrook said, although no discussions have been held yet with the promoter.
    Translation:

ORDA does not want to screw up any roads leading into and around Lake Placid. They also recommended closing Route 28 from Warrensburg to Blue Mountain Lake (50 miles one way) for the race and also suggested having it the weekend of July 2,3,4, 2011. This would be fine for LP.

I have been on some long bike rides on biways...really do not need to close the road....just place cones every 100yrds over 1/2 the wide of one lane. Tells drivers stay close to yellow line or split it...drivers on the other side, move over. !

I received this email, thought you might enjoy also....I tried highlighting the last paragraph, but could not for some reason

A meeting June 12th,....they say bring hiking boots, wonder why? Its my son's B-day, otherwise we would have driven up this weekend. Heading to Fla.

Hello, trail lovers:

It was one year ago that several people began to think that it was a good time to launch an effort to convert the unused "Tahawus Extension" of the North Creek railway to a rail trail. Let me review what has happened since, where we're headed, and the things we must do to be successful.

But first, the goal: Create a unique, world-class bike trail stretching 29 miles from the classic Adirondack town of North Creek to the magical destination of Tahawus - the foot of the High Peaks, a place of history, sublime wilderness and the source of the Hudson River. An awesome recreational opportunity for our visitors, inspiration for a more healthy lifestyle among our residents, and a boon to our economy.

The challenges in creating a bike trail are always enormous. We have made some great progress, but we are reaching a point where some serious public support will help influence some key decisions. That's where you come in, and we are grateful for your help.

So, let's review:

The first few months of this project were spent quietly checking on basic feasibility. We found mostly positive answers to our questions, and we went public on the idea early last fall. We held the first meeting of the Friends of the Upper Hudson Rail Trail last September. We spent some months formalizing this organization over the winter. We met with DEC and APA to get some sense of the challenges we might face with state agencies. We created a website, a Twitter account, and a Facebook page. We've gotten some good press and have done other things to get the word out.

The nature of bike trail projects is that they are managed locally by people who have never created one before. It's a good idea to get help from folks who have, so we established relationships with Rails to Trail Conservancy and especially Parks and Trails New York, with whom we won a highly sought grant that provides exactly the help we need.

We held a meeting in North River to let that community know about our activities and to listen to their concerns. We've been in contact with others who may be affected, including Barton Mines. At this point, we believe our neighbors' concerns can be addressed if we work together. This has been and will remain a major goal of our project.

Another key goal for 2010 is to acquire the right-of-way, directly or through an organization like OSI. We have been talking to NL Industries and they are currently studying their options. These wheels can turn slowly, but we do have them turning. The legal nature of railroad ROWs is complex; we have done a great deal of work to understand our ROW so we can resolve any issues quickly. The overall idea is to assemble a package that is "funding ready."

The remaining goal for 2010 is to strengthen our organization. I'm very pleased with the folks we have working on the project. We are growing at a rate that matches our needs - but only barely. We've incorporated, have a 501(c)(3) application in the works, a good strategy to reach our near-term goals, and good connections to the community. The big job of generating overwhelming public support has only just begun, however: there are meetings to attend, hands to shake, outreach to do, and much more. We don't need a lot of money at this point, but we do need some in order to act as a strong organization. Please become a formal member by applying online on our website.

All in all, it seems like our timing has been just right. Good things are happening, enthusiasm is very high. This month's Conservation magazine has the first DEC commissioner on the cover - riding a bike! Inside, there's a photo of current Commissioner Pete Grannis - also on a bike! Since one potential sticking point for our project is how DEC will regard the portion of our ROW over state land, these are amazingly timely images.

There's much more! Please attend our first general membership meeting this Saturday at the North Creek Ski Bowl Lodge at 10:30AM, June 12. Bring your favorite food or snack and beverage, your hiking boots or your bicycle. We'll have coffee for you. I'll give a slide show (I'm working on a Google Earth tour), we'll talk, get you signed up as member (free or paid memberships available - no pressure). Then we'll see about walking out on the tracks or going for a ride or both.

And you can always learn more by checking our website, and signing on to our twitter and facebook pages - links below.

Thanks for your support.

Curt Austin

Friends of the Upper Hudson Rail Trail

http://www.upperhudson.org
    http://twitter.com/upperhudson
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Upper-...02812963094737