Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Got it covered, Skiing....I attended today's meeting, got to see the new Ski Bowl Lodge and had my first meal in NC.

Alot of interesting info on the Tahawus Bike trail including a " fly over " video of the trail corridor. That part was wicked cool. To see the mtn contours, lakes, rivers, homes, bridges really brings it to life. Much of the trail is secluded woodland. All of it is very scenic traveling aside 3 rivers, gorges, forest covered mountains, etc. Most of it will be a Woo Hoo! fun kinda ride....about 17 miles of it is a 2% grade descent that bikes will " coast " @ 18 mph. 17 Miles!!! hehehe...That spells fun. Long downhill cruises are the absolute bomb and enable even occasional riders to ride long distances. Imo, there's no doubt this will make a great, unique trail.

The situation is it's time to start garnering wide spread support for the trail and take it to the next step. Judging from the stories others there told of bike events, the popularity of biking events around the country draw very large numbers of Cyclists. The numbers are real and growing. It seems to me NC could sorely use the extra business.

People have been saying NC business had a bad year last season. It's like NC is approaching that crossroads again, like another NC cycle of businesses closing. Sure hope that is not so. Having customers during the off season would help them alot. Tahawus Bike Trail could be a huge asset.

Oh yea! It seems you can't look anywhere at the NC scene without some one mentioning Harvey Road. The guy's known and read by everyone who's active in NC. You came up today, Harv. Some one said...." I get my Gore info at this great blog called Harvey Road, This guy writes online...He's great..you gotta check himout! "...blah blah blah. Honest to Pete, you can't swing a dead cat anymore without someone mentioning Harvey Road! Harvey Road!

Harv's one of the brighter stars in the NC sky... Yep, he 'sTele r!

You famous Harv!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Everytime I read or hear about various bicycle events without fail there is always alot of people who visit them.

From the Post Star. http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c002e0.html

By DON LEHMAN dlehman@poststar.com | Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:55 pm | (0) Comments

Warren County appears close to landing a big bicycle race that could bring 10,000 people or more to the region next June.

County officials are working with promoters of a series of 100-mile bicycle races known as "Centurion" races for an event to be held in Warren County next spring, after Americade.

Centurion races are held in several locations, and attract as many as 10,000 participants. Lake George Supervisor Frank McCoy said the first one would likely attract 2,000 or so riders, but Centurion events tend to grow quickly, he said. And organizers told county officials that each rider typically brings four family members or friends along.

"If you get 40,000 people, you're talking about another Americade, though not as long," he said. "This could turn into another big economic boon for Warren County."

Centurion races typically bring participants and their supporters to town for four days and three nights, McCoy said.

McCoy and Chester Supervisor Fred Monroe were among a group of Warren County officials, including members of the Board of Supervisors and members of the county Economic Development Corp., who met with organizers of the race earlier this month.

Monroe said he was optimistic the event would make its way to Warren County next year. Organizers of Centurion races choose mountainous courses, and they have looked at potential starting and ending spots in Lake George, at Gore Mountain Ski Center or Adirondack Community College, he said.

The courses could go from southern Warren County into southern Essex County before returning to Warren County. Two races - a 25- or a 50-mile race and a 100-mile race - could be held over the weekend, officials said.

"They've got a couple of planned routes that meet their criteria," Monroe said. "I think people are pretty supportive of the concept."

McCoy said Graham Fraser, the organizer of the Iron Man Triathlon in Lake Placid, has been trying to organize the race, and "really likes the area."

Calls to Centurion Cycling have not been returned, and Fraser responded to an e-mail for comment by saying he was preparing to board a plane Wednesday afternoon and would not have time to meet the paper's deadline.

But a June 12 posting on Centurion Cycling's page on the social networking website Facebook reads, "Looks good for a New York event. 22 officials from the Lake George area at meeting. So much support offered, great riding, great venues, looking forward to getting it on the schedule for June 2011."

Posted in Local on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:55 pm | Tags: Warren County, Centurion, Bicycle, Race

Thought i'ld post this for those who might have missed it, esp Iskiing. It's a fly over vid of the rail corridor cobbled together from Google earth. If you look real close, you can see Harv laying up firewood and Spongeworthy looking for his bottle opener that I hid on him.

http://www.upperhudson.org/Upper_Hud...rail/Tour.html

@1:20 it shows a large private lake adjacent to the trail that will have to posted to keep people like me! from swimming in it.
    @ 2:25 it show the trail going past what I was told is a Barton mine facility.
    @ 3:10 it shows the trail w/bridge crossing the Hudson just below the Hudson River Gorge. Then the trail ascends the Boreas.

The man that owns National Lead and this rail corridor is very elderly. Hope it is secured in the Federal Rail Bank before nature takes it's course. Estates can be tied up for years, even decades.

Thanks all good info and excellent reporting.

Did they mention anything as to how the trail would be impacted if the rail line started back up to the mine, as earlier reported.

Well, they met with Barton and said something like they(trail people) could get along w/Barton and both could eat the cake so to speak. A non confrontational posture. They did say a train and cyclists can't share the same section of the right of way, too narrow. Barton ran their small " hand trolley" like car down the lower section to knock down some plant growth and when the bike folks asked why they were told " for you guys." Seems Barton would get the lower few miles and the biker's the rest with the final connection for bikes to NC being via the road. That would work. Not as idyllic but functional.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Sadly, because the "trail" does not actually begin in NC, NC may loose some of the marketing appeal. Wonder if there would be room to the right of the guard rail to cut and flatten some trail.

Being a dad with a 5yo, while we have ridden on roads, we dont like it. Peace of mind thing....

Guys and girls - I have been asleep at the switch. Or more like deeply involved with our new web address and site renovation of Harvey Road. It's taken a huge amount of time and I've learned way too much about HTML and a bunch of other letters. It's the main reason I've been basically absent from SkiAdk.

The things that Snowballs said above ... it's incredibly hard for me to stay in touch with what's going on from all the way down here. If I am in touch at all, it's because there are people out there, up there, who keep an eye out for things and send them my way.

To the point. IMO this is a potentially big story. Recycling all the old energy that was put into blasting out the right of way. Creating an industry out of land that is basically idle. Self powered recreation. Grass roots involvement coupled with corporate cooperation. Who is against it and what are their primary points?

Snowballs showing once again that he's got vision - posting this thing and hammering on it since last fall. And Iskiing, your dedication to North Creek in general is incredible. I want to help too.

I just read through most of this thread and there is so much information here. I thought about embedding the Google Earth flyover, but it just to jerky and long. Would be WAY cool if Helms could do a real flyover and get it on video or HD.

So... If anyone thinks it's a good idea, or wants to see this story on Harvey Road - I'm open to suggestions on how to go with this. Send me links to important developments and I'll post them. Other ideas welcome.

I've got an email address now for all stuff Harvey Road now:

harvey44@nyskiblog.com

If you have ideas on how to get this story out, or if you find stories, or images that could help - email me.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Trail meeting

How many people attended the bike trail meeting a the ski bowl?
    IMO, if the trail does not begin in NC, its economic benefit to the town will be significantly reduced. The purpose of a trail is to eliminate riding on roads. Rte 28 is just too busy for families. As it is the two road crossings will pose some challenges, but with good signage, people should be able to navigate them safely. So...if t doesn't begin in NC families will begin the ride someplace beyond the Barton plant and then they will drive home on 28 and skip NC in a manner much like most skiers ski NC.

Where the trail starts does seem crucial.

Would like to hear from someone who knows the topo of the river. It seems to me that if it was a simple matter for the tracks to go along the river. they would already be there. It's got to be cheaper to put warning lights at the crossings vs. blasting a new route.

I know in the winter the downstream road crossing is dangerous. Once I came across a car in the ditch with a frantic woman inside. I ran to the nearest house to ask for help and the women who answered the door said "Jack! Another car in the ditch..." Like it happened every week.

Probably, hopefully, not an issue in the summer.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Trail

The entire premise of the trail is that it follows the existing rails. This is the basis of the Federal Law. Beyond this, it's much more complicated than simple topography. there are land ownership, setback requirements and financial considerations. The crossings are unavoidable.