Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Facebook page discussions force decline of forum?

Well, lately (last week, today) I check Gore's Facebook page and there seem to be discussion going on parallel to what we have here in "Gold Parking" thread. Among differences in discussion style: Gore representative is actually responding. They also moderate(delete) some messages but this is different story.

What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?

Disclaimer: I once had Facebook profile but deactivated it and have no intention to renew.

I don't think so . . .

I don't think it will have an effect on the forum.. I like the fact that issues that should be addressed are being brought up on Facebook, only because they cannot turn a blind eye to that.

On this forum we only reach out to 20 people, it's the masses on facebook
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2

Facebook is great for chatting, but not as useful for forwarding good comments from our skiers and riders to decision makers.
    Sounds like their response to the before noted examples of Gore deleting messages. They don't want postings that are critical of Gore's actions on it's very own Facebook page, especially if those postings are true.

I think exposure works both ways Gore, not just the cheerleading. People should keep posting on Facebook about what they don't like or do like about the Mtn.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Re: Will Facebook page discussions force decline of forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?
    No way! I cherish my anonymity

Facebook is all over the place. This forum is FOCUSED!
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    Well, lately (last week, today) I check Gore's Facebook page ... What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?
    I don't. The two "forums" are different. And they both serve a purpose. I think they may even feed each other.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    I like the community here better. .... The people who post here are pretty hardcore skiers. The give frank and honest opinions, they're backed up with local knowledge, or they're otherwise pretty well informed.
    100% total agreement on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    You'd be surprised at how many people this forum reaches. I have a pretty good relationship with the Admin at FTO and he tells me that on First Tracks the lurker-to-poster ratio is over 30-to-1. My experience with Harvey Road is similar... hundreds of visits but only a few comments a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    I think exposure works both ways Gore, not just the cheerleading. People should keep posting on Facebook about what they don't like or do like about the Mtn.
    I also agree with this. Facebook stuff has power because it's a quasi official site.

Our company is in the travel business. All of our client (hotels, resorts) are pushing offers out on Facebook, Twitter etc. But some of our clients don't totally "get it." Facebook is more like PR than advertising. In advertising you pay for absolute control of the message. With PR, there is less out-of-pocket expense, but you don't really have control. You put your best forward and hope for the best.

Over on FTO there is a poster named PR@JayPeak. He's up front about representing the mountain, and he deals with criticism straight up. He's no BS and he is respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    Facebook is all over the place. This forum is FOCUSED!
    Also agree with this 100%. I'm not a big facebook fan. I have an account that I've never used. I think my mom invited me to join her group or whatever and I never answered.

Life is short and skiing is too important. Too much other stuff over there.

Sorry for the ramble. Kinda wierd that we all agree. Great idea for a thread Denison.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

it might not change things for the people already participating in this forum, but i think there's a fair chance that potential first-time posters might first run into the facebook page and stop there, without going the extra mile and locating this forum on the internets.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    My experience with Harvey Road is similar... hundreds of visits but only a few comments a day.
    Haha a lot of that is probably from me. I usually hit it up at least twice a day, sometimes up to five. Never posted though. I'm happy/REALLY surprised blogspot isn't blocked at my school yet. This site is...
    send it!

Quote Originally Posted by fujative.
    ....I usually hit it up at least twice a day, sometimes up to five. Never posted though. I'm happy/REALLY surprised blogspot isn't blocked at my school yet. This site is...
    Fuje - thanks for the visits. I appreciate all visits, but regulars especially so.

The regulars who post really help me. And their comments definitely impact the direction of the site.

For example, Matty has really helped me nail down some great weather links.

I really want input on how the site functions in it's role. It's basically set up as a Gore decision-making tool. Do I ski at Gore today? Or in my case ... tomorrow.

I'm also trying to make HR useful to Whiteface skiers, but I just know less about Whiteface.

For example ... I had no idea Whiteface could pull 9 - 13" out of that awesome lake effect event. I need to ski Whiteface more.

But back to my question ... what links or images am I missing? You could post here or in the comments of this entry:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12...ng-coffee.html

I realize this is a serious thread hijack ...I'm willing to start another thread.

See ya on the hill tomorrow. Oops today.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Fuje - thanks for the visits. I appreciate all visits, but regulars especially so.
    But back to my question ... what links or images am I missing? You could post here or in the comments of this entry:

See ya on the hill tomorrow. Oops today.
    No problem. Usually I'm just checking the weather or seeing what you have to say. I can't really think of anything you're missing, other than a webcam on top of bear
    send it!