Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Snowmaking

That's pretty slick! Nice grooming, too. Fuj will be wanting one for his backyard park.
    incoming .................DUCK !

My friend has been making those for a few years now. I'd do it, but it'd dry up our point well and run up our water bill WAY too high. Plus all my fun jibs are over at my friends house. I don't really haven anything set up here anymore.
    send it!

Mike Pratt

I reconnected with Mike at the end of last week.

We talked about a lot of things ... the budget, parking, and some of the ideas from AdkSara's wish list thread.

To me though, the most interesting stuff related to snowmaking.

I learned some things that I found fascinating. Maybe you knew this, I didn't:

There are two separate pumphouses. One is at the river, and one is up by the reservoir. The mountain is blown by the upper system. The lower system, CURRENTLY, is used only to resupply the reservoir. And the current LIMIT on pump capacity and snowmaking as described here, is actually the limit on the upper pumps.

The whole conversation definitely had an impact on my view of the terrain expansion.

Here's the link to the piece on Harvey Road:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/05...er-update.html

Comments on Harvey Road welcome and desired. I'll send a link back to Mike in a few days.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

I posted this on Harv's blog where he and Pratt say snowmaking on the Ski Bowl Trails Will NOT effect/reduce the main mtn's snowmaking. OOOOOOKKKKK!

I'll add.....How crappy was last year's snowmaking and how often was BR covered enough to be open? Now those existing snowmaking resources, capacity/money/manpower, will be further subdivided to cover the Ski Bowl and Harvey Pratt says it won't effect the main mtn's coverage!!! HEHEHEHE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Snowballs said...
    I very greatly doubt the Ski Bowl won't put a load on the main mtn's snowmaking. Why else would they need the PUMPS!/intake/manifold upgrades Pratt mentions? Pratt has stated that both existing pumps are needed to operate the main mtn at capacity.

Diverting any existing pump to the SB will not permit the main mtn to receive the water it needs because as last season demonstrated, the main mtn does NOT has enough snowmaking capacity. To divert any of that to the SB will be to reduce the main mtn's coverage even more. If this wasn't true, there would be no need for the pumps/intake upgrades Pratt mentioned. Last year, Pratt assured us he was blowing snow as much as possible! Now he and you guys say diverting it to the SB won't matter. It just doesn't add up.

Plus, Pratt doesn't have enough crew or money to operate the main mtn snowmaking let alone the addition of the SB. Last year Pratt repeatedly said he was doing all he could to cover the main mtn. If you think taking any of that away and putting it on the SB won't effect the main mtn you are wrong. Pratt best snow job is here and it's a Public Relations snow job.

He gives vague responses..." We're not against moguls " and people believe it means there's a mogul trail coming....

Harv: " Little Gore does NOT add to the load on the upper mountain system?

Mike: That's exactly right."

Yea right! and the cow jumped over the moon, Clinton didn't have sex with Lewinski....Come On People!!!

Pratt does not have the snowmaking capacity, the extra money or the employees to cover the SB without it effecting the main mtn!

Does Gore even have permission to draw more water from the Hudson?

May 19, 2010 9:57 AM
    incoming .................DUCK !