Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowmaking

did see sno makin on hawk eye today,they were just about 3/4 of the way down when i left,,,they blew on fox lair,but couldnt open it cause it was too dangerous,it was from wet guns then they groomed it,made it worse,should b better tomorrow.got into the woods a bit ,not too bad,kil care care is going too b awsome with sum more snow,blowin on wild air,it was ok,where the guns wernt wet,rest of what was open was good.,,should b a good weekend,,,so go get it,,,

on a side note,,,friends lake was frooze over,so thats where ill b,,,fishin,,,oh i have free parking there.

tuesday,,,, the snow they blew on chatimac was awsome,still had guns going on the lower half,they were starting on lies,about half way down when i left,guns on lower cloud,and sum over on the north side,wood in i think.twas a good day.

People have been saying (Facebook, etc.) that Gore has poor snowmaking in general. Is this true ? I don't have much to compare it to other than Face and West. West definitely seems to do a better job than Gore, but until this year, i've skied West very, very little. Will keep tabs on it. This year, i'll ski West more as i also got a midweek nonholiday pass there.

I know I said it before, but Pratt was bragging last year on how Gore could now " blow alot more of the Mtn at once ". Well Pratt, where is it ?

Can anybody speak as to their experience with other Mtns compared to Gore's NOmaking?*

* I think i coined a new phrase!.....Gore's NOmaking! hehehe. I like it. It's fitting.
    incoming .................DUCK !

you dont even need to go to the mountains to compare the snowmaking. just look at some other mountains ski reports. give me a min and ill run thru a few sites and post them up.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

mt snow: 78
    stratton: 89
    killington: 125
    okemo: 112
    pico: 50......100%open
    whiteface: 56
    gore: 48

those were the mountains that popped into my head the fastest. theres a couple other mountains i could do like jay sugarloaf sunday river and MRG but they all get a lot more natural snow than the ones listed above.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

Thanks Rossi! Those figures do say alot. Gore's NOmaking is at the bottom. Way to go Gore ! I bet West has way better snow too.

DO NOT FORGET!!!....

Unlike those other mtns, except Face, Gore pays no income tax, no sales tax, no local tax, no mortgage loans, no improvements loans, discounted utilities, etc. These are very huge costs other resorts have to pay and they STILL have a better product than Gore. Sad. Gore oughta have plenty of cash for snowmaking. PLENTY! Gore certainly shouldn't be in the basement.

Hey...It just started snowing!!! Bring it on Harv!!! I know you'll be righteously bummed if we get snow when you have to return to NJ, but consider the rest of us dude....and your B-day skiing!

A huge dump would make us all feel better. hehehe.

to be fair, the moutains in VT have seen much more snow than Gore this year. Most VT ski areas are reporting 12-24+ inches of snow this weknd. Gore is reporting no new snow.

WEB SITE REPORT FOR TOMORROW,MONDAY=4 LIFTS,27 TRAILS,IT JUST KEEPS GETTIN BETTER AND BETTER,GOTTA SAY WTF,,,,GORED AGAIN.

This was the rather 'snotty' Gore Mountain reply to several posts on Facebook questioning the lack of snowmaking at Gore this season.

"I think some of you that consider yourselves fans of Gore need to take note of some of the challenges and lack of natural snow this season has presented. We'll just take today for example, when we, and several other mountains in the Northeast are closed due to absolutely crazy winds. These winds will force snowmakers back to already-open terrain. Tuesday we had power knocked out.
    That said, I know for a fact that our snowmakers, groomers, and staff are doing their absolute best for you. It hasn't been a favorite start to the season for any ski area out there, but we have so much left of the season to look forward to, lots of new improvements were made, and we will keep moving ahead!"

Then following this post was one from a skier who travelled to Killington today and skied; snowguns were running & lifts were chugging even with the wind. I'm getting tired of excuses from the mountain.

I like the trails, I like hiding in the woods, I really like most of the ordinary 'on-the-ground' people who are working at Gore, I just wish that management would get their head out of the clouds and be honest. Most of us are adult enough to handle it when Gore, being state run can say we've had some budget cuts or we've had equipment break down, this is what we're doing to fix it & when.

Sigh... Hickory and VT is looking better and better. Glens Falls isn't that far from the border.
    -Keep your skis happy!

Snotty seems to be the mode of Gore lately. Last week's Chronicle newspaper asked Mtn manager Mike Pratt if he had asked the Gore patrons about the Paid parking prior to it's implementation. He replied " we don't ask them for their input/ideas " ... something of that exact essence. It was rude. Especially for a State employee. He might as well of said " they can go ____ themselves.".

So, is this what they mean by their new slogan...." The Mountain That Loves You Back ".

I'm starting to come down with the Mike Pratt has to go flu.