Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowmaking

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Their bad attitude is like a hammer on a sore thumb.
    There they go again. Someone on FaceBook asked Gore why the discussion boards were taken down. Gore replied "Unfortunately a few people had the wrong idea of why the boards were created ".

Oh really? What an insulting bunch of crap. Gore again blames it's customers for it's issues. If Gore were doing a better job, people wouldn't have to question them. Many others were posting good ideas for Gore there. The main issues on FB were the Paid Parking, the horrendous NOmaking, and the lack of a Park or it's lack progress. These are all real, persistant problems that people have a right to ask about. Not putting up proper fencing at the Park and it's entrance was stupid and dangerous. Many people came to Gore over the Holidays having no idea Gore turned a Cruiser trail into a Park and thus skied down Wild Air thru the Park. They are lucky this didn't/hasn't caused serious injury. Any injury caused by this lack of due diligence, would have been EXTREMELY actionable. Has Gore even rectified this situation yet? They were/are negligible by not having a fences, a fenced Gate entrance AND a sign informing John Q Public that they were entering a Terrain Park NOT A CRUISER. It would be real easy for a shortie to drift into a landing zone at Gore's park. Care to guess what that outcome would be? There's been many, many reports of this " nearly " happening already and the Park's only a couple weeks old.

I would have never, never opened the new Park on a Holiday week without these basic and obvious safeguards.

I'm sorry, but Mike Pratt has got to go.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I agree with the mustachioed knuckledragger 100%. Facebook is a vital tool now for reaching out to your base customers. The way Gore has handled the situation thus far (arrogance/avoidance/secrecy) just worsens already strained relations, basically thowing fuel on the fire. I stayed out of it until the atrocious lack of snowmaking I witnessed last week. Then they blow on Uncas? Do we really need Uncas when the rest of the mountain is in such poor shape?

Uncas

In the past I've been told that they like to get Uncas open to take some pressure off pine knot. Pine knot does get pretty bad at times and it's listed as an intermediate. The problem in my view is that they waited until the holiday week was just about over before starting on Uncas. By then it was too late to do any good and the open trails needed the snow.

Did anyone else notice huge amounts of ice/snow in the trees near some of the guns? It seems to indicate some kind of problem.

I can't figure out why they would increase the grooming fleet and then not make the snow to groom. Is it to keep the new groomer in like new condition? I'm also wondering about the continued expansion. What's the point of additional trails and lifts if there is no snow. Wouldn't some of the capital needed for a new lift be better spent maintaining the trails they already have?

end rant

tom

Had a chance to speak with M Pratt this am. Asked him questions incl about snowmaking. Will try to post when we get home late tonite or early am.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Well, this is my 1st post & all i can say is i hope someone from gore or orda reads this stuff. I'm the guy that got unfriended by gore on FB & started the "skiers against paid parking" fb group...if you haven't checked it out please do. So after severla interviews & srticles written in the chronicle, post star, north creek paper, the t.u., etc. & severla emails back & fourth with pratt, blazer, et. al. I'm at my wits end. No one seems to get it there or really care what we think. I've been commended on my passion by both pratt & ted but i guess that's as far as it goes. next step, orda meeting...

Oh yeah & if you read the minutes from the December meeting Pratt goes on & on about the 35 new snow guns for better coverage, much like their website...new guns, new groomer, etc. Funny how they don't seem to have the manpower or budget or both to actually use them.

I skied West Mtn today. Their snow is alot better than what Gore has now. West has lots of cannons still going too.

Maybe the complaining on Gore's NOmaking will get them moving. I see there's a NOmaking related photo for their Picture of the day. Maybe they heard us? Keep the heat on!

jmokes we appreciate your efforts and all the links and e-mail addresses you have posted on the gore skiers against paid parking fb page. Keep it up!. I watched the video of the last ORDA meeting and was impressed at how well Pratt and the board members can pat themselves on their backs and dance around their guests concerns and comments. Quite a ballet.
    Do what you like, Like what you do!

Quote Originally Posted by goreviper
    was impressed at how well Pratt and the board members can pat themselves on their backs and dance around their guests concerns and comments. Quite a ballet.
    Yes Sir. BS. BS. BS.

Their day will come.

Snowmaking & The Ski Bowl

It seems like Gore is trying to act like a big "destination resort" mountain without actually having the management skills and numbers of properly trained staff to carry it out. How in the world are they going to be able to maintain snowmaking at Gore, Burnt Ridge, and the Ski Bowl when they can't even keep enough snow on Hawkeye and Cloud to safely ski without using your rock skis? Who would be foolish enough to buy a "ski in/ski out" home or condo at the North Creek Ski bowl when the mountain can't seem to keep their bread and butter trails sufficiently covered with man made snow? I think that the mountain has grown faster than they are capable of managing it. With all of the new instant messaging technology available such as Facebook, Twitter, and this forum, the management can no longer hide and lie to us without being called out on it. They are woefully behind the times in their management skills and it is painfully obvious to its customers. If this was a privately run corporation, the management would be fired and the place would have gone broke. Since they are a state run "Authority", there is absolutely no incentive for management to listen to their customers. All that they have to do is keep the ORDA board happy so that they can send the money to Lake Placid and keep the board members hotels full. I wish that there was a way to hold them accountable!