Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Snowmaking

I gotta agree with Sara - I appreciate the effort Harv has made to open up communication from Gore's mgt. I don't like some of Pratt's answers either, but there's no need to shoot the messenger. A lot of people have said if Gore's having problems with snowmaking they should just be honest and upfront about that and people will accept it. It's the communication vaccuum and spin that really get people po'd. Harv, you did a great job trying to fix that vaccuum and facilitate some communication. You asked the right questions, if Emily or Mike danced around the answers that's on them, not you.

So, anyway, just what the hell IS up with snowmaking? It appears they have abandoned efforts on BR and on Rumor. Pump? Compressor? Budget? Or maybe just not enough capacity even when everything's working to get the job done? Like Jimmer said I'm willing to give some slack because the mtn skied much better this past weekend than the weekend before, but the renewed lameness gets me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    So, anyway, just what the hell IS up with snowmaking? It appears they have abandoned efforts on BR and on Rumor. Pump? Compressor? Budget? Or maybe just not enough capacity even when everything's working to get the job done? Like Jimmer said I'm willing to give some slack because the mtn skied much better this past weekend than the weekend before, but the renewed lameness gets me worried.
    You're up harv. time to yada.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I gotta agree with Sara - I appreciate the effort Harv has made to open up communication from Gore's mgt. I don't like some of Pratt's answers either, but there's no need to shoot the messenger. A lot of people have said if Gore's having problems with snowmaking they should just be honest and upfront about that and people will accept it. It's the communication vaccuum and spin that really get people po'd. Harv, you did a great job trying to fix that vaccuum and facilitate some communication. You asked the right questions, if Emily or Mike danced around the answers that's on them, not you.
    I agree with Jeff (and btw, it was nice to meet you last weekend). It would be much better if management was up front about the issues, snowmaking, open terrain rather than dance around the issues and post misleading information.

Harvey did a great job opening communication up, but didn't really stir the pot much or call Gore management on anything. He just listened and reported. That's ok, but Snowballs and others are really calling management out on their misgivings.

Skiers cannot manage a ski area, but are so quick to criticized how it is being managed. I think we'd all be less critical if the ski area was just up front about things and not try to mislead skiers.

As for Harvey's love for Gore... I totally understand.

Back in December, when only 60% of the mountain was open, we had a blast and skied hard for 2 days. the very next day I went to Killington. While there was more terrain and snowmaking there, I just didn't have as much fun skiing there as I did at Gore. I really think Gore mountain is special because of it's people, and the people have made the skiing more interesting overall by exploring areas off the beaten path, and by enjoying the goodness that Gore has provided in the way of good cover on many trails with snowmaking. Killington just had no soul and the people were not as down to earth and just seemed to be there to ski with not much love for the mountain or community. The difference is that it is a destination resort, not a home mountain like Gore is to so many people.

This past weekend Lies was a hoot, and we made many laps with a huge group of people (maybe that is why that trail was so crowded). But it was so much fun! I love waiting at the bottom of Lies on Headwaters watching good people enjoy that trail.

Yeah. i'm not a fan of Big K either. It's been a couple years since i been, but their lifts sucked. Slow, short and that Gondi was way noisey, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the whole way up. When i ski Big K all day, i'm only as tired as if i skied a couple of hours at Gore. Too many short runs and long lift lines. Those never ending Cross intersecting trails are stop and go like city traffic. Some of this may have changed.

Others may love it.

One time, on Outer limits I saw a friggin Porcupine crossing the trail. Not Big K's fault, but imagine skiing into him.

Me.....Vocal? It's been said that Gore doesn't like this board. I bet they love me!

My ears were burning while Mike was holding Harv's hand and treating him to virgin fresh blown for first tracks of the year on Twister.

It's just that there's no reason we shouldn't have everything Face does. Better snowmaking, etc. I'm not much of a park person, but those who are deserve to have a rockin park, pipe etc. just like Face and all the other area resorts. I would like a Skier cross course to bust mah azz on.

Gorda short changes the mtn. It could and should be much better. That'ld be fun!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Goofy and Sponge… I’m not the best at detecting sarcasm on the internets, but I’ll take it at a face value and say thanks.
    Sarcasm . . . the wit of the uneducated

Let me clear this up. I love Gore and have a good relationship with management and ski patrol, but I'm not a happy camper this season at all. I'm glad someone took the time to try and get some answers, which apart from your blog have been nonexistent. Thanks . . . again.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Snow guns were going on Sagamore today. They also blew a bunch on Twister and in front of the Saddle Lodge. No snowmaking on the upper mountain.

so the real question is what do we do about all of these perceived or real shortcomings??? my 1st inclanation would be to rent a bus, load it with those of us that are the most voacla about what's going on to our mountain & take a bus ride up to Lake Placid for the next ORDA meeting on march 16th @ 10 am. It's an open meeting/public forum & maybe we can get our point across, en masse.

Or maybe appoint 1 guy to get our message across at the ORDA meeting.

Or we could appoint a few guys to sit down with mike & address the issues & actually get answers to said issues (we still don't really have any on anything IMO). Mike could then bring them to the ORDA board.

Or we could find out what the budgeting process is for ORDA/Gore out of Albany & address it that way.

Or we could just start a riot.

Any way you slice it, all of this posting, FB groups, emails to mike & ted, interviews with gore mgt. & pissed off skiers, etc. seems to be getting us no where. Anyone else have any suggestions???

voacla is not a word...vocal is. sometimes my brain gets behind my typing.