Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    a good day today..

track conditions - very fast
    exacta and trifecta wagering

sunway twice to start, quick coffee break, some sun poking out, gondi to topridge, pine knot, to summit. lower mt and bear mt were fast but mostly a nice thin layer of manmade for good carving and a tiny bit of sun softening. Hawkeye 3 times. Really better than I thought it would be if you spotted the nice stuff. Back up topridge chair to showcase, 2 beers, than 2 more on sleighride. sometimes forget how fun showcase and sleighride can be.

Blowing tons of snow on cloud to headwaters, should be awesome tomorrow. a worker at the summit said it'll open on monday. anything facing south/southwest is really nice on a sunny day, topridge, sunway, headwaters.

Good cold day. Boiler Plate starting to appear. Treeline skiing. Still not many guns, Top of Chati, Very top of Cloud, and the Tubing run @ the Ski Bowl. It's was windy so it probably woulda just blown away anyhow.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Ok FujaHarv, i got this thing going....had to resort to plan B....but it paid dividends. I will PM Harv the details as FujPM doesn't seem to function, " no such user ". So you two work it out. This will come together after the holiday period. If that doesn't fit your class deadline, Fuj, then i might suggest you interview a noted Blogger, the Sage of North River, the load of Harvey Road, the freeheeling, freewheeling, our own skiing weatherman and noted Blogger--------Harvey44!!! (applause, applause)

" In a small cabin in North River a wood stove struggles to overcome the cold. Snow and the scent of balsam pine fill the outside air. As the door opens, in walks a man with an arm full of firewood, but that is not the tools of his life. Words are his trade, the tools with which he carefully crafts many stories of years of North Country skiing......blah, blah, " ....you get the idea.

That's right Harv, you're becoming a famous blogger! Which of course, is much better than being an infamous booger, You Bugger.

Now do I get a cookie?

Ok, nobody posted for today so i will.

What a mixed bag of conditions and weather today was. There was good fresh snow most places and there was also edgable ice, rocks and even water here and there....but mostly fresh snow. it was kinda weird tooling along on nice freshies, then opps ice, rocks or water. The Summit/Darkside was good but when wind drove me to return frontside, Sunway from Wild air down had really nice coverage of powder.

Weather same way. Snowing early, then hard, then windy with a near blizzard whiteout while snowing hard. That made it very hard to see. i went slow so to avoid any collisions esp. with shorties. It was very poor visiblity for an hour or so and the hill got kinda vacant during this whiteout. Riding chairs sucked. Then all a sudden the Sun came out around 2:00. It was still windy and the crowds returned.

I noticed something I thought was very odd when the Sun came out and the sky was blue. Large clouds at a less than medium altitude were moving ever so slowly, almost imperceptively in one direction. Directly below them and just barely above Bear mtn, small clouds were zipping right along at a perpendicular angle to the larger, slightly higher clouds. It was neat and rather pretty with a blue sky background. I don't recall ever seeing clouds moving in two different directions and different speeds in such close proximity to each other. The slightly higher large clouds were completely uneffected by the wind that was zipping the lower clouds along. Odd.

The Crowd wasn't the worst ever. yeah there's lines, but i was skiing right up to and on the Summit double around 11:30. yeah there was people to share the trail with, it just wasn't overwhelming. An exception to this was the Gondi line after the Whiteout ended. Even the singles line was out the gate. some of them were poachers. So what. i was gonna make a few more gondi trips but the lines changed my mind and i wasn't gonna ride the ADK " wind tunnel " Express again, so i split shortly before 3.

I think the idea of a thread called "Today's Ski Report" is brilliant. Let's face it ... only a nut like me is going to post a TR everytime he skies, and for locals especially who get a ton of days ...it just doesn't make sense.

Especially good report today SB. Really people don't care that much about what somebody skied. They want to know what the surface is like, and you nailed it.

Thanks for the help with the TC interviews too. Will be very cool if we can pull it off.

Fuje are you out there?
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

I really like quicksilver today, thought the snow was great on it esp once the sun came out after 2ish. Open pit and chatty were also pretty good, there was some fresh powder to be found. Places exposed to the WNW wind had some ice exposed, lower cloud was wind blown. I didnt see any trails on the dark side open. The whiteout around 1 pm was interesting, all out blizzard on the summit. Skied the past 3 days, going to rest it tomorrow. Looks very cold on the mountain.

todays report. bus full of russians. long freaking line at the gondi cuz nothign else was open. the liftie needs to go back to school cuz he obviously wasnt able to count. i was in the singles line and he sent me to 3 cars, all 3 cars had 8 in them already, so finally got in one, and hey what do you know theres 9 of us in there with 4 pairs of skis. condition wise, everything was hard and fast. oooh and it was cold today. sign said -32 at the top. wish i could give more but i wasnt gunna stay out to see what the conditions would have been like else where, but im sure it was all pretty much the same.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi
    oooh and it was cold today. sign said -32 at the top.
    Brrrrrrr! Anybody skiing today certainly earned their turns. Those Russians may have thought they stepped off the Gondi and into Siberia. Even the Vodka was frozen.

hahahaha. speaking of earning your turns. i had first chair up to the top and just went straight back down but some guy was skinning windy hill up. i dont think he knew that they had opened the quad.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi
    todays report. bus full of russians. long freaking line at the gondi cuz nothign else was open. the liftie needs to go back to school cuz he obviously wasnt able to count. i was in the singles line and he sent me to 3 cars, all 3 cars had 8 in them already, so finally got in one, and hey what do you know theres 9 of us in there with 4 pairs of skis. condition wise, everything was hard and fast. oooh and it was cold today. sign said -32 at the top. wish i could give more but i wasnt gunna stay out to see what the conditions would have been like else where, but im sure it was all pretty much the same.
    com on conner u no its warmer in the trees,u should have went there,that 5 inches they had yesterday had too blo some where,,,,what r u friggen nuts,,way too cold,,surfed the couch all day;;haha