Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gore Ski Shop

Gore Ski Shop

Has anyone ever gotten one of the 'quick tunes'? Do they do a good job? Actually I may need a full tune with ptex...

I'm thinking I could save some time by bringing both my boards next time, and get them both tuned on the same day, ride one then switch to the other at noon.

Tuning is over rated IMO.

Buy a brick of wax for $20, use your iron on the low setting.

3 12" sticks of P-tex is $2.00

I'm not sure how much scrapers cost anymore, but I really get a good time out of waxing/patching my board. Gives you the "oneness" with your stick.

Sharp edges are for people who ski trails
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

I started doing our own last winter. It's not that hard and you can get a much better wax job doing it yourself. If they haven't been cleaned for awhile, or your starting the season or they're new, the best is to do the hot wax scape cleaning 4-5 times( or whatever is needed ) to get your base clean. this also conditions the base which is important. Then choose your final wax, iron on, let cool, iron again adding more wax if needed, let cool, repeat. Then scrape then brush. By doing it like that it's like a trip to the hotbox or repeated waxings. It yields a fantastic wax job, fast and easy gliding. If you had the shop do it this way it would cost $100+. This is why i say it's better to do it yourself. World Cup skiers will wax their skis 40-50 times before racing them and they say as the season goes on( more waxings) the skis get better and faster.

An issue i had with doing my own was finding good how to instructions. Most left me with questions. Here's a link that is the best i found and gave me confidence to proceed.

http://www.racewax.com/category/tuning_tips/

I also bought my kit there. LOVE IT. I got maybe $275-300 in equipment. Pass on cheap stones. The Diaface Moonflex diamond stones 5 pack rocks! These work really, really well. It includes a 100 grit stone that you can use to remove hardened spots so you don't need a file for basic tuning. Mostly, you'll use the 400,800,1500 grit stone. Brushes are important too. You'll need the brass, the white, the blue and the short and long horse hair. Shoe shine horse hair's brushes are bigger and about the same price.

Racewax.com has great wax and their prices are less than the shop.

I know this is prolly more info than Rider sought. i post for all's FYI.
    incoming .................DUCK !

but back too ur question,yes they do a good job,pass holders get a discount,i have mine done there all the time,and if its not rite they usualy make good on it,not sure of the pricing,but its not too bad. if ur in the glens falls area,inside edge and the sports page both do great jobs,but r more pricy.

Go to Sports Page! They do an awesome job over there and it will most likely be cheaper than at the mountain. It's not too far off the 87 and you could drop one of for one weekend, get that back and drop the other one off for the next weekend. Or if you live nearby you could just head over midweek.
    send it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    The Diaface Moonflex diamond stones 5 pack rocks! These work really, really well. It includes a 100 grit stone that you can use to remove hardened spots so you don't need a file for basic tuning. Mostly, you'll use the 400,800,1500 grit stone.
    I've been looking into Moonflex stones because I've heard nothing but raves about them and my DMT stones (I have the black, blue and red) have not held up. Which ones do you have or recommend?
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I really miss having a place in town. I used to use Bordertown. Phil would do a great job, and he'd be there promptly at 8.

In my dreams, there would be a reliable shop that would takes skis until 5 or 6pm and have them ready at 7am the next day.

Beaver Brook is cool, but it's ten miles out of the way.

I think it was James Taylor who said "hurts my motor to go too slow."
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

I tune my own skis, but occasionally I need a shop to cure the damage I've done skiing in the trees. Cunningham's Ski Barn did a great job tuning my skis last year.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

i drop my skiis off when im done and there ready the next day@the gore shop.i think the quick tune was around $15,but mayb diffrent now,havnt had them done this year,,,i think sports page gets like $40,
    has anybody checked out the store in town(nc)that sells used stuff,been hearing good things about it.u can sell ur old stuff there allso.

DMT stones?

Sounds like an intense experience
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things