Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gore Ski Shop

It's usually best to detune the tips and tails (most shops do this for you, some do a crappy job of it and you can feel the skis hooking) . . . A ski out of the box shouldn't have to be detuned, though. They should be ready to ski from day one (although a lot of people like to put a nice layer of wax on).

ditto what MC2 said. when i switched to fatter skis i would catch an edge on the tip every so often too. SW likes beer, ply him with that!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    It's usually best to detune the tips and tails (most shops do this for you, some do a crappy job of it and you can feel the skis hooking) . . . A ski out of the box shouldn't have to be detuned, though. They should be ready to ski from day one (although a lot of people like to put a nice layer of wax on).
    Ditto. Skis out of the box should be the best that they'll ever be. I'm very happy when I get close to that perfect new feel.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    SW - hmmm .... you're in North Creek ... you seem like to tune skis ....

I'll be right over!

Actually I have a question .... I got a new pair of Atomic RT-86s. Are the tuned out of the box? Rep told me yes ... but could they be too sharp? The seem to catch a bit. It could be because they are fatter than anything else I've had. Or it could be that I'm just not a great skier. Can I blame the tune? Do they need to be "detuned?" Is there such a thing as detuning?

Ok so I have more than one question.
    I don't LIKE to tune skis, it's just a necessary chore (I do my wife's skis too, so it's a chore x 2).

AFAIK, Atomic has bevels of 1 degree base and a 3 degree edge. Very sharp. I don't know anything about tele skis or if they come out of the box like you're going to be skiing hardpack on an open slope. But if you ever feel like you can't get off your edge, can't slide the skis when you want them to, or they're grabbing or hooky when you're trying to turn, it's probably because the tips (and maybe the tails, but not as much) are too sharp. Detuning is just carefully dulling the edge, taking that edge off where you want to. You can experiment on the mountain by taking a stone (any stone, the stone you carry with you to take care of rock hits, which anyone who skis off trail should have with them!!) and just drag it (on a 45 degree angle to the edge) just a few inches down each side from the tip at first. Ski again and see how it feels. Did it hook less? Was that enough? Maybe try another inch or 2 before the next run. If you think you need maybe a bit more after that . . . STOP!!!! Is it grabbing on the tails also? Try the same thing an inch at a time. Feel what the ski is doing after each adjustment. THIS IS KEY. If you don't feel the difference, don't go any further. Just keep feeling what your skis are doing. Eventually, you will feel it.

You know what they say about giving a man a fish and teaching a man how to fish? I'm open to showing people how to tune their skis, but I don't have the time or the desire to be a ski shop.

Just about every ski needs to be sharper under foot (a bit before and after toe and heel) than at the tip and tail. Racing skis are different, but then they tend to suck in the trees. So if you try this, don't mess with the sharpness in the middle.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    I don't LIKE to tune skis, it's just a necessary chore (I do my wife's skis too, so it's a chore x 2).

AFAIK, Atomic has bevels of 1 degree base and a 3 degree edge. Very sharp. I don't know anything about tele skis or if they come out of the box like you're going to be skiing hardpack on an open slope. But if you ever feel like you can't get off your edge, can't slide the skis when you want them to, or they're grabbing or hooky when you're trying to turn, it's probably because the tips (and maybe the tails, but not as much) are too sharp. Detuning is just carefully dulling the edge, taking that edge off where you want to. You can experiment on the mountain by taking a stone (any stone, the stone you carry with you to take care of rock hits, which anyone who skis off trail should have with them!!) and just drag it (on a 45 degree angle to the edge) just a few inches down each side from the tip at first. Ski again and see how it feels. Did it hook less? Was that enough? Maybe try another inch or 2 before the next run. If you think you need maybe a bit more after that . . . STOP!!!! Is it grabbing on the tails also? Try the same thing an inch at a time. Feel what the ski is doing after each adjustment. THIS IS KEY. If you don't feel the difference, don't go any further. Just keep feeling what your skis are doing. Eventually, you will feel it.

You know what they say about giving a man a fish and teaching a man how to fish? I'm open to showing people how to tune their skis, but I don't have the time or the desire to be a ski shop.

Just about every ski needs to be sharper under foot (a bit before and after toe and heel) than at the tip and tail. Racing skis are different, but then they tend to suck in the trees. So if you try this, don't mess with the sharpness in the middle.
    Sponge - I was teasing about the tuning. I could tell from your earlier post that you do it because it makes sense, not out of true love for tuning.

Great information. I think I knew some of that but I just don't have the courage to mess with my edges. Especially when I'm on the hill having a good time. Which is basically always.

Based on what you and Matt said... my issues probably reflect my own ability (inability) to handle fatter skis.

But this:

"....if you ever feel like you can't get off your edge, can't slide the skis when you want them to, or they're grabbing or hooky when you're trying to turn, it's probably because the tips (and maybe the tails, but not as much) are too sharp..."

does describe exactly what seems to be happening.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com