I’m Resigning as Forum Moderator

Over the four years this forum has been in existence both Whiteface and Gore have undergone major improvements while most other ski areas in the Northeast have basically stayed status quo. We’ve discussed these changes and all thinks WF and Gore and for the most part it has been positive, fun and informative. I’d also like to thank Greg, the owner for putting this board up and appointing me to be the moderator. I’ve already told Greg of my decision via PM.

No business is perfect and constructive criticism can be valuable in helping a business improve and grow. Lately, on the Gore side of the forum, nasty, negative and IMO naive comments have been pervasive and IMO unfounded.

Let’s take Gold parking for example; from reading most of the comments about it you would think it is some kind of evil plot against Gore customers. IMO, Gold parking is another revenue stream for Gore to generate in order to pay their expenses. Would it be better for customers if ticket prices or food prices were raised instead? With gold parking those who can afford it and are willing to pay can, those who can’t or won’t can walk by. Gore gets more revenue with no additional expense to ticket buyers or pass holders.

Gore is making great strides in adding to and improving their infrastructure. IMO, they are well on their way to becoming one of the top ski area destinations in the Northeast. This will not only benefit Gore skiers/riders, but will give North Creek and surrounding communities a needed economic boost. The money for these improvements has to come from somewhere.

I can’t control what people what to think or post, nor would I want to. I can control my participation in this forum and that’s what I’m doing by resigning. I want to be part of building WF and Gore up not part of trying to tear them down.

Many people have sent me very encouraging PMs over the years and I’d like to thank those who have. I’ve had a good run and a lot of fun as moderator, but it’s time for me to stop.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Does your resignation as moderator also mean that you will no longer be posting here as well? That would be a shame, as the information and conversations you provide will most certainly be missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    Does your resignation as moderator also mean that you will no longer be posting here as well? That would be a shame, as the information and conversations you provide will most certainly be missed!
    +1

Thanks for all your time you've already put it, sorry you feel the need to step down but certainly understand your position. I too hope you continue to post here and other places---hope to meet up w/ you and your crew someday soon....Camp
    The older I get the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    +1
    +2

I'm amazed you lasted this long; what a tough guy!

Thanks for everything you've done over the years.

Thanks tons for you time and effort.....great job!

Thank you for all your hard work with this blog. You have done a wonderful job. I hope t continue to hear from you here and to see you out at whiteface.

asland

Re: I’m Resigning as Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Let’s take Gold parking for example; from reading most of the comments about it you would think it is some kind of evil plot against Gore customers. IMO, Gold parking is another revenue stream for Gore to generate in order to pay their expenses. Would it be better for customers if ticket prices or food prices were raised instead? With gold parking those who can afford it and are willing to pay can, those who can’t or won’t can walk by. Gore gets more revenue with no additional expense to ticket buyers or pass holders.
    My Main Point: Mountain Management interacting on this blog could make it less of a bitch session and a better experience for all. It can also help us to avoid loosing great moderators in the future.

It seems like negativity is always going to be a way of life, especially in the North Country. Some of the specifics you mentioned above are going to come out when you have the super rich from New York City, New Jersey.... interacting with the North Country Locals many of which are poor. I saw this all the time growing up in Lake Placid.

Complaining and negativity will happen but can also be combated. When answers are provided or reasons are given for decisions made - even when unpopular with some - these interactions provide satisfaction and more content users.

Win, co-owner of sugarbush Resort, is a good model for this on the Sugarbush blog at http://forums.skimrv.com/forum-1.html Yes, there is bitching but when mountain management interacts people respond well and there is less negativity.

Here on our blog, when mark, Whiteface's web master, interacted with us about new changes to Whiteface's web site in the New web site thread - http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2464 he turned potential negativity into a great conversation. We learned from him so we were less negative and I think he learned from us and applied some of the changes we asked for. It was one our better discussions on here.

So, Mountain Management taking a more interactive role in the blog can help provide answers that will lead to better discussions and less negativity. It can also help us to avoid loosing great moderators in the future.

asland

Best of Luck....

and thank you for your hard work. I am a lurker and have enjoyed some of the great insight this blog has offered me over the past couple years. Yes, Gore has made huge improvements since my first trips their 20 years ago and Whiteface allways gives you a stern test of your technical turning abilities every single time you go their!
    Peace and Good Luck!