Hikes/ Walks for young ones near whiteface?

Hi,

I have two small kids (5 years old and 3 years old) that I would like to take on a winter walk/hike. I am looking for something mellow that we can do with our boots or with our snowshoes the few hours my wife is skiing. My daughter can hike up to three miles but shorter is better for this case. I will have a pack to throw our youngest into when he gets tired. We mainly camp out at kids campus so we could leave from there or take a short car ride. Any suggestions?

thanks,

matt

First off, if you go on a trail you should never walk without snowhoes or skis. It really pisses people off. We have alot of snow up here. You can rent a pull sled from High Peaks Ski shop in town. Quick hikes, Coppers & Winch Pond. Ponds are frozen and it's beautiful, between 1 - 2 miles right off 86 on way to whiteface. Cobble hill, 1-2 miles, steep the short way, easier the long way. Right off Mirror Lake Drive, Great views of town & HPKS. Lastly, trails behind Howard Johnsons. Goes out to Lake Placid with great views of whiteface.
    Hope that helps. Have a great time!

ok WW are the ponds safe enough to walk on? Some have been falling in around here, Lake George area. Just checking in the interest of clarity and safety. Thanks
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    ok WW are the ponds safe enough to walk on? Some have been falling in around here, Lake George area. Just checking in the interest of clarity and safety. Thanks
    I don't give safety information. I'm a strict believer in natural selection.

PS- Your best bet when you come up is go to EMS & buy a hiking guide book. That gives a whole list of short hikes.

Got it WW.

Asland, be careful walking on ice. Some lakes have springs that varies the ice thickness and it hasn't been that deep cold which freezes everything solid. You prolly already knew that, I just wanted it to be clear for ya and your kids. Have a good time.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Thanks for the info. We started exploring some of the mt bike trails around kids campus. These made for great snowshoeing walks in the woods. Perfect for us? Does anyone know if there are maps of these trails? Where can I pick them up?

thanks,

matt