Whiteface 1/17/2010 Spectacular Day!

This is a cross post from nschat.net. Sunday was my first time ever at Whiteface, gotta say, we got lucky had a stellar day and loved the place, can't wait to go back!

Went to the face with a beginner and my wife who needs to get her confidence back after breaking her ankle skiing. Got there to find the summit covered by clouds. Jack skied down, told us what a great view there was at the top. We get to the top and found a view that was spectacular. Met Jack and TJ67 up top taking in the view and taking some pics. Afterwards I skied down with wifee and friend, by the time we got to the bottom lifts stopped running due to power outage. This was an opportunity to run out to car and get some lighter clothes as it was a bit on the warm side. Got back to the lodge and waited about 10 minutes before lifts started running again, waited another 10 for lift lines to get smaller then took a few more runs with my wife and friend. After that met up with Jack and one of his pals for a few runs. eventually met up with HPD and got some runs in with him and Jack. Was nice for a change to ski with some good skiers, gave me a bit of a work out. Ran into Woodlawn Clown and Phineas on a lift line, said hi to Woody, think I may have heard a grunt out of Phiney, then again, didn't say anything to him so all is fair. Guys,, would have loved to get some turns in with you but I was just following HPD like the lost little pup that I was. Few runs with HPD and Jack, then went to meet up with my wife and friend. Wife's legs were hurting so she was done for the day. Went up for a few more runs with friend. Took HPD's advice and did the Willmington trail, good advise it was. Nice long cruiser, excellent scenery and although it was starting to get scraped off a bit, still had some nice snow. Ended the day about 2:30 as everyone's legs were a bit shot and did want to show my friend Lake Placid and the ADKs before it got dark.

For anyone that's never been to Whiteface, GO! If yesterday was any indication it's a great mountain, I for one can not wait to get back. The intermediate runs we did would easily be black diamonds at some other mountains. Although not too difficult as they may be steep, but are also wide, so an intermediate could easily handle them if they ski smart. The vertical is the best thing about Whiteface. It's nice for a change to ride the lift up and have that long cruise back to the bottom, I imagine that's what helps keep the lines short as well. Did some blacks with HPD and Jack, really enjoyed them, nice steep and wide as well. Found some nice bumps on Lower Mackenzie. I'm not much of a bump skier, so they did my legs in, but I managed.

Summary, great mountain, great people, great area, can't wait to get back. Have a lot of pics I posted as well, but this forum software is different from nschat's so they didn't copy over and it's a bit of work to put them in here again. If anyone want to see them: http://nschat.net/forums/viewtopic.p...t=944&start=10

thanks for the post and the pix! seems like it's been forever since we had some fresh blood on here. much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    thanks for the post and the pix! seems like it's been forever since we had some fresh blood on here. much appreciated.
    Been a member for awhile, but never been to Whiteface before yesterday, so never had much to say.

It was a great day here's a couple more pics

Bumps where great on Lower Mac. They where great on Upper too, but the lines where not as consistant. Very soft

New signage for SV glades Hickcock Hill entrance. The Willie skied the best of this season IMO.

Coverage looked pretty good from the top. I'm thinking 6 inches more might do it.

Victoria was real good, but saw alot of traffic.

The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter

Bumps where great on Lower Mac. They where great on Upper too, but the lines where not as consistant. Very soft
    Tried to find you yesterday, but no luck! It was an awesome day.

Skyward was unbelievable, especially in the earlier part of the day before it got roughed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me

Tried to find you yesterday, but no luck! It was an awesome day.

Skyward was unbelievable, especially in the earlier part of the day before it got roughed up!
    Yeah, no sunshine, but the conditions where just as good as Sunday with no crowds.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Amazing how much better the bumps on Mac were Monday than they were on Sat., and they weren't terrible on Sat. Won't take much to get the glades open. No way I could no for sure because they were closed, but something tells me there may be pretty decent coverage in Cloudsplitter.

New signage for SV glades Hickcock Hill entrance. The Willie skied the best of this season IMO.

Coverage looked pretty good from the top. I'm thinking 6 inches more might do it.

Victoria was real good, but saw alot of traffic.

Well, here's a direct quote from the two knuckle (draggin') brains Brandon, and I caught poaching SVG on their way out of the lower entrance, "no DUDES, it was WAY tasty!!! We're goin' right back 'n hit dat ch*t again!!!".

And they probably would have if they still had their lift tickets.

Nice pics. Looks like it was a sweet day at the Face.