Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmaking

Snowmaking

Anybody have any idea why there not making snow on upper northway and/or cloudspin? kind of annoying in my opinion. Other than that the mountain has been in great shape all season...all considering.

I've been wondering the same thing. The only thing I can guess is that they've decided not to use snowmaking resources to add any new terrain at this point in the season, and reserve it strictly for increasing the base on terrain that's already open.

Today all the ORDAs snowmaking resources are in Central Park

Ive got to imagine the lack of natural snow has really crippled them. Normally cloudspin has a decent natural base by now and the snowmaking is used to shore it up. Heres to a nice 20in+ storm asap

Quote Originally Posted by evantrentful
    Ive got to imagine the lack of natural snow has really crippled them. Normally cloudspin has a decent natural base by now and the snowmaking is used to shore it up. Heres to a nice 20in+ storm asap
    Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but according to accuweather they are not expecting large storms the rest of the year for NY they stated we are in a snow drought and they can only say they are eyeballing a Nor'easter very late in the season. Seems like its a great year to be further south go figure

they were blasting snow on upper skyward and the lower part, upper cloudspin, and several trails on little whiteface today.

We have plenty of snow down here in PA, your welcome to some if you'd like.

I have been really impressed with the snowmaking this year. Last weekend was awesome. I don't really miss Northway. I love cloudspin, but think they are doing the right thing taking care of the other trails.

Upper Northway was scheduled to be blown the week before that nasty Monday rain event.

It was passed on because forecaster's were so sure of the event.

It's still planned to open.

Regardless, considering the way '09-'10 has gone to this point, I don't think anything but huge PRAISE should be showered on Management, and the Snow Tribe.

Yeah, I love UN, and UC, but am WAY happy with the great season I've had so far considering the budget issues, and weather dramas we've all seen going on this year.

I completely agree with the posts above ... the snowmaking at Whiteface has been great this year, particularly when you consider how little help we've been getting from Mother Nature. I was saying to someone on Sunday morning that the Wilmington Trail has been really great the past few weekends. They've been doing an awesome job keeping the snow on it.

I'd love to see Upper Northway and Upper Cloudspin open, however, at this point, it's definitely more important to keep the terrain that's already open in good shape for the rest of the season.

On a side note, I was a little skeptical about the idea of using snowmaking resources to make a public skier-cross trail on Wolf, but after having skied it this weekend, and having seen my kids reactions to it, I must admit that it was probably a good idea!