Shovel riding...

I've seen a few people doing this at whiteface this year. Pretty sweet! Anyone know how this got started?

They've been doing that for years. Sometimes, they get going pretty good! It looks like fun and always cracks the kids up. It's just the lifties and the snow making crew making the rounds.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I always thought these guys were snow makers using the shovels they need to dig out their equipment to ride to the next job area.

I had a one of snowmakers pass me on Upper Valley on a shovel a month ago. He was flying, but under control. No yellow jacket whistles.

This is the way to ride a shovel:)

From the Steamboat Winter Carnival 2003. One of many "horse drawn" events is the adult shovel race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1yKyHs_-gY

The first guy was satisfying a triple dog dare (the result of me satisfying a double dog dare). His physical wounds have fully healed. He may still be emotionally scared. He still talks to me now and again. It was below zero that morning. You can hear the gasp of the crown when he takes his coat off (still makes me laugh). I am the one with clothes on (the second one to go).

If you ever get a chance to go to Steamboat for the carnival it is a hoot. You have to bring your own shovel, but race entry is free.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    No yellow jacket whistles. :-)
    WF Snow Tribe are masters of the art.

Always in control, and never require a speed check, let alone THE WHISTLE.