High Peaks chair off ramp

While getting off the High Peaks chair last Friday I once again got wacked by the back of the chair, this time I was hit hard enough that it knocked me down. Basically i find if i do not push off the chair but just stand up i get hit. After I got up i stood around to see if this was just me or other folks were getting hit also. I'd say at least a 1/3 of the folks getting off it were getting hit by the chair. The issue seems to be that off ramp is right on the bull wheel so the chair immediately starts whipping around. I'm not sure if the off ramp is in a slightly different spot this year, I've been skiing at Gore for years and it seems worse this year. Seems like a potential liability issue, have other folks had this issue?

if i get some responses I'll send Gore management an email about the issue

All you have to do is keep a hand on it and push off.

Re: High Peaks chair off ramp

Quote Originally Posted by markGore
    Basically i find if i do not push off the chair but just stand up i get hit.
    Um, don't do that...

Seriously though, I think some of the problem is a bit of the lack of precipitation. Most years the unloading ramp is just a more forgiving and ramped out with more snow.
    -Keep your skis happy!

never had a problem with that chair,its defenatly old school,,,after a few times u wood think yould get the hang of it...

Yea Hi Mark!

can't say I ever had that happen either. But then I'm usually riding it solo. Maybe you're standing up too soon?

I noticed when they try to run a fixed grip lift at a tad too fast speed they sometimes are problematic loading/unloading. Was it cranking fast?

The ramp's top flat spot is shorter this year and seems like there's more warning signs up including one at the Base station building of this lift.

Snow next couple days?
    incoming .................DUCK !

sad to say i bought it offloading on that chair earlier this year

i forgot i had to push off the chair with the ole stiff arm and got whacked and fell sprawled down the ramp.. boy that is ugly when it happens on a board

regarding the shorter flat spot, another time i stayed on a tad too long and i was catching air when de-chairing lol that ole chair is sneaky.

My wife also took at digger off the top of HP Chair. For some reason she feels like if she sits on the right side, or if she's alone, she's got a better shot at survival.

One thing about that chair that may matter ... it does make the turn immediately after you get off it.

If it's worse this year, it probably is due to lack of snow.

I noticed yesterday that they have a sign at the bottom of the lift warning you to be careful at the top and not to get off too early.

I do what Frosti recommended on every chair. Keep a hand on it and push off.

I've actually had more trouble at the top of the Adk Express. Twice I've had my pole strap get stuck in the seat as I was trying to unload ... the first time I refused to let go of the pole and it got ugly. I ended up skiing all the way back down Showcase, chasing my pole which was riding all by itself.

My buddies of course were HOWLING with glee.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com