Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Bridage / pipeline

Skied Pipeline, Saturday in the new snow, it was very slow, lots of poleing. I did do a tour down it a few years ago in different snow conditions and remember it skied much faster. Eagle's Nest was nice, good pitch and kind of narrow, reminded me of Otter Slide. Given it's low elevation and south face it will rarely be open unless they put snowmaking on it.

I'm a little confused about the new bridge, if we went over it we did not notice it, perhaps the bridge is for next year from the ski bowl? We did pass by the existing bridge over the creek that i think goes to the bowl.

New Bridage / pipeline

Skied Pipeline, Saturday in the new snow, it was very slow, lots of poleing. I did do a tour down it a few years ago in different snow conditions and remember it skied much faster. Eagle's Nest was nice, good pitch and kind of narrow, reminded me of Otter Slide. Given it's low elevation and south face it will rarely be open unless they put snowmaking on it.

I'm a little confused about the new bridge, if we went over it we did not notice it, perhaps the bridge is for next year from the ski bowl? We did pass by the existing bridge over the creek that i think goes to the bowl.

Re: New Bridage / pipeline

Quote Originally Posted by markGore
    OK. That's the info I needed. If you had went over the new bridge Mark, you would have known it. It's a sizable span with some elevation, relatively speaking. I suspect there's an uphill section from that bridge to BRQ, which is what I was trying to ascertain. Gore had hinted we would be skiing across it this year.

Anyway, apparently you never crossed the Roaring Brook creek. Instead Gore routed skiers away from the bridges and directly over to BRQ. Had you crossed the first bridge, the one you saw, that would take one to the Ski Bowl. Enroute you would intersect Eagle's Nest. It's new bridge would be on your right. Eagle's Nest crosses Roaring Brook on it's way to BRQ. The route they sent you on, from the bridge you saw to The Burnt Ridge section of Eagle's Nest proper, is a work road, not a ski trail per se, at least so far. Roaring Brook creek bisects Eagle's Nest, half on the Ski Bowl side, half on BR side.

Alot hinges on the grade/slope of Eagle's Nest from the Roaring Brook crossing to BRQ. If it is sufficient, then one would think Gore would have us skiing it now and showing us the new high dollar bridge they've been talking up in the Off season. It would be good " advertisement " for the Ski Bowl and it's Village, generating a buzz. If there's an uphill section, then the Ski in/Ski out aspect of the Ski Bowl gets flushed, i.e. nonexistant. That would have big implications for the Ski Bowl Village which is being marketed as Ski in/Ski out. Property values there and indeed sales in general would be in jeopardy. Bad JuJu.

I'll check this out myself. If it's bad, then the vid goes to youtube. If it's good, then yea! for Gore and it's patrons.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Ok I am confused. As markGore, I stayed right at the bridge, following the signs to Burnt Ridge. Slope was ok from there down, but rocks and dirt showing at times.

Also agree did not see a new bridge, just the one if you take a sharp left and go to the ski bowl. So the true Eagles Nest trail is across the old bridge, then a right later on, back across a new bridge? Therefore, the slope would be even less? Makes sense if so as it did appear we skied a work road down.

Certainly did not pass a bridge over the creek again. Actually not at all. Hmmmm.

Either way, flip a coin on the approach to the base of BRQ. Think Cedars wins (did I just say that?) Agree that this new Eagles Nest and/or work road will be rarely open due to low elevation.

Eagle's Nest is the " return " trail from the Ski Bowl to Burnt Ridge Quad. It starts at the Lil Gore summit directly above the Ski Bowl, descends from there to cross Pipeline trail which at that point is on the Ski Bowl side of Roaring Brook. Eagle's Nest then crosses Roaring Brook via the new bridge and continues over to the Burnt Ridge Quad.

From the sounds of these preliminary posted observations, Ski in/Ski out from the Ski Bowl will be lame at best.

If that is the case, and they opened a work road, not Eagles Nest, then it gets worse due to the added mileage.

However, the website states Eagles Nest was open, and can't remember for the life of me if I saw a sign for E.N.

I thought I saw a sign for "Eagle's Nest" with a rope across it?

OK...

1) Pipeline runs from the North Quad to the Ski Bowl.
    2) Along the way, Pipeline crosses a bridge to the Ski Bowl side of the creek. This is the bridge you guys saw.
    3) Eagle's Nest runs from the summit of Lil Gore(Ski Bowl) to Burnt Ridge Quad(Gore).
    4) There is also a connecting work road/trail from the Pipeline trail to the Lower end of Eagle's Nest trail. This a the piece you guys skied. It departs Pipeline near the bridge you saw and stays on that Gore side of the creek to reach Lower Eagle's Nest, WHICH is what you skied out to BRQ.

You guys skied only a part of Eagle's Nest. You likely descended Pipeline-work road-lower Eagle's Nest.

Snowballs, I think you got it exactly right up there ^

I ended up skiing Pipeline three times on Saturday, should have done it once, but ended up there again and again to avoid crowd at double and slow quad.