Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slides?

Slides?

Are they open? We'll be up monday.

They were open for the first time this year, thursday the 25th, yesterday afternoon.

Snow pits were dug and filed through out the season by professional certified avalanche ski patrollers.
    Obviously the favorable pits were dug wednesday.

Around 50 people got to "help pack down the snow"during this seasons grand opening celebratory pow celebration, waist deep i might add in some spots, thus making way for the long anticipated opening of the mighty slides.

To be aware this land is of no joke... there are rocks lurking below the surface like mines waiting to explode your skis off above several frozen waterfall/cliffs up to 15'+. Even though the highly trained mountain ski patrollers are completely able to navigate a rescue sled over back country/ungroomed conditions among the rocks, trees and cliffs; rescue for an injured person is not as simple as on a " ski trail". Snow plowing, rental skis, small children, pregnant women, if you may be suffering from a heart condition or panic and urinate uncontrollably you should not attempt the slides. To be frank these are badazz double black diamond baby, maybe triple? Those who might know, some one please tell me of a place on the east coast with lift serve (for the most part) with extreme alpine open bowl terrain that even compares to the slides.

So... they were open yesterday, they were open today, it has been snowing constantly for the last 4 days.Hmmmmm

I heard a rumor of a foot sunday night.

Wow. Thanks alot for the update. Ive always looked up in awe on my visits. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Crap. I missed them by one day. Was up to the face last week on vacation. Had a great week, sunny on mon. snow the rest of the week. Had to leave on friday cuz of the wife's work so I missed the slides. Oh well I least the trees on back open at Gore. PS. you face skiers must have thighs of iron. After 4 stright days of that vertical my legs were shot.

Skied slides 1-4 for the first time yesterday. Amazing. Just skiing on a whole new level. over 4 feet of snow at the top! Had to be careful travesing not to get stuck. I think I liked two the best. Just enough tree skiing then it opens out to the headwall on one. Been waiting a long time for it!

Quote Originally Posted by skiboy895
    Skied slides 1-4 for the first time yesterday. Amazing. Just skiing on a whole new level. over 4 feet of snow at the top! Had to be careful travesing not to get stuck. I think I liked two the best. Just enough tree skiing then it opens out to the headwall on one. Been waiting a long time for it!
    Good for you knocking 1-4 off your first time.

I took some pics, but they all came out too bright. I did 1, 2, 3 didn't get over to 4 this weekend. It was great to get back in there. 3 is my favorite.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

HPD ... no matter how bad post em!
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    HPD ... no matter how bad post em!
    OK Harv, these are the best 2 believe it or not. The rest are a whiteout. I have a new camera this season, but I've taken pics on sunny days with it and they didn't come out like this. Dang.

Young guns climbing for higher ground.

Slide 1

Here's a pic posted on Facebook from yesterday of Slide 1

I'll be up Saturday skiing solo, what do you think the chances are of them being open this weekend? If anyone wants to take a few runs, let me know.