Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Search and Rescue

For the second time within a week, ski patrollers and rangers worked until after dark to locate and rescue lost skiers. The second incident ended this morning around 1:30am when the rescuers brought the kids, who had skied out of bounds with their father, out to Chatiemac and loaded them on to groomers for a ride down the mountain. The search operation began sometime in the afternoon. Even experienced back country skiers (rescuers) got lost after dark. No news yet as to whether the father was ticketed and whether he will be billed for the rescue.
    The first incident, late last week, wrapped up much earlier but still dark.
    Yes...skiing back country is cool IF you are qualified. If you've done it and didn't have survival gear with you; you're not qualified! As a result of this reckless behavior we can expect to see stepped up enforcement of the ski area boundary law.

Thanks for the information adkskier.

This a problem inherent in slackcountry skiing.

Anyone can ride a lift. You don't need any specific skills.

When you are earning the vertical, it demands a level of commitment that seems to reduce these kinds of incidents.

You expect this kind of "adventuring" out of young people. We all did crazy things when we were young.

And a group of adults going OOB ... that's another thing.

But adults taking children in ...

Obviously we'll have to wait to hear the details.

But it's hard to imagine circumstances that make that smart.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

People may get mad, but.....

I always felt that it is selfish to ski yourself into these positions. Why not just stick to the approved glades and in bound trees? When you go OOB and people have to come find you it puts others in danger just because of your little joy ride. It also costs money and is a large amount of effort for many people. If you say it's only some money then I would invite you to get your check book out.

People who do these things need to be more considerate of others.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I know nothing about this incident, but sometimes people actually get turned around and make a wrong turn. Familiar landmarks can change with new snow amounts or sun to cloud light variations. This can happen within approved glades that are on the edge of a ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    I know nothing about this incident, but sometimes people actually get turned around and make a wrong turn. Familiar landmarks can change with new snow amounts or sun to cloud light variations. This can happen within approved glades that are on the edge of a ski area.
    Agreed. And there are different scenarios....lost vs unable to go on. Either of these occuring in bounds are far better than going over the hill towards rt 8 which seems to be the most reoccuring problem.

When one leaves Chati and heads towards rt 8, that's a bad, selfish move. If one is on that ridge AND on the side towards Straightbrook, does it matter how the visibility is? One can always tell which direction is down. Down will lead you to the trails of Gore. Opposite side of the crest and it's a gamble, one people should not take. If people can't tell the side of the hill they're on, then their not bright enough to go in there and risk proving Darwin correct.

When on the Straightbrook side of that ridge, there's a much better chance of reaching a trail, just go " down ". It's also much easier/quicker for rescue personal to find and reach you and to bring equipment/personal to you.

OOB skiers need AT LEAST a whistle, flashlights, a compass and a compass reading before entering the woods. Most at resorts don't have this preparedness.

People need to be more considerate of others when joy ridng.

More details

Emerging details- there were actually two separate searches. Both called in around 3:30. the first group of young adults was quickly located and returned to the trail. The second consisted of a father (from Long Island) with 11 and 13 yr old kids.

I probably shouldn't have posted without knowing what happened.

It didn't occur to me that crossing the boundary could be unintentional. But anything is possible. (?)

If I have this wrong please let me know:

If you are "on the map," on the Chatiemac side, you can't go OOB without passing an orange boundary warning signs.

And doing some sidestepping uphill.

But you can cross the boundary, without warnings, or going uphill, if you have gone in higher up.

That's why I assumed the move towards Rte 8 was intentional.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    That's why I assumed the move towards Rte 8 was intentional.
    Bingo. There a certain amount of buzz abour going that way." Always Completely " untouched pow blah blah...so to speak. People do purposely go over the hill.

Radio

Intentional or incompetent produces the same results. The boundary is very clearly marked.

Follow this link for a radio interview with the head ranger on this search and rescue:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...re-five-3-1-10

I think Gore has enough in bounds glades to have fun in. I have found a few unmarked ones, but there still in bounds. To me what they did going OOB was just boneheaded.