How to Break the News

How do you tell a very close friend that you just can't ski with him because he's just not very good? I mean a friend who wants to follow me into the trees but always seems to be just one turn away (if you can call them turns) from having to go to the ER.

And please don't say I should tell him "You suck, meet me in the bar at the end of the day."
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I'm very curious to the answer you get.. I've been in the same predicament. If I can at all help it when people want to ride/ski with me I just forget to call them before I go.

If it's someone I am at the mountain with I have often been tempted to say hey lets ski these woods for a while, I want to get a good 'workout' in so I'll meet you @ the bottom of the lift in a while.

Maybe a hey I'm gonna lap this- we'll ski these woods for a while, or this lift for a while if you wanna go someplace else throw me a text and we'll meet back up!

hah, reminds me of the "how do I tell my wife/GF she's getting fat"... I've tried hinting the gym, running, walking, not eating so much icecream....
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

I don't know what to tell you Sponge, but your problem sounds alot like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    hah, reminds me of the "how do I tell my wife/GF she's getting fat"
    I know the answer to that one. You just DON'T. NEVER, EVER, EVER.

And if you do, you'd better duck.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

well mayb u could help him out abit,take a little time in some of the easier ones,till he gets the hang of it a bit,,i no what u mean though,u see people in there like that all the time and u just gotta say,wtf.teach him or ditch him

Boy that is a tough one.

This year especially. Early season you KNOW how thin the coverage was.

I actually appreciated that the trees were open, but taking people in - even skiers much better than me - I wasn't comfortable. And I did get asked by people who don't know Gore well.

The problem is that if you say you don't want to take responsibility for others, then how do justify going in with people who are up to it>which you are supposed to do - ie not go in alone.

I guess you've got to be honest.

"I really care about you and I don't want you to get hurt. I don't think you are ready yet."

Can't think of a better way.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Boy that is a tough one.

This year especially. Early season you KNOW how thin the coverage was.

I actually appreciated that the trees were open, but taking people in - even skiers much better than me - I wasn't comfortable. And I did get asked by people who don't know Gore well.

The problem is that if you say you don't want to take responsibility for others, then how do justify going in with people who are up to it>which you are supposed to do - ie not go in alone.

I guess you've got to be honest.

"I really care about you and I don't want you to get hurt. I don't think you are ready yet."

Can't think of a better way.

Let us know how it turns out.
    It IS a tough one. This friend views any helpful tip or suggestion (like "try this" or "why don't you take a lesson") as harsh criticism that he takes personally. He swears he's good, but he's just not. Bottom line is that I have to pass up a lot of good stuff, wait for him a lot, and worry that he's gonna hurt himself. He wants to follow me into the tough stuff instead of taking an easier way and meeting up at the next junction.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    but your problem sounds alot like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.
    Soup Nazi!
    Good ol' Seinfeld.
    send it!

You said very close friend. That said: If you have the money, take a tree clinic with him/her. I know they are offered at Gore for instructors...not sure about the public. Aslk Gail at Ski School. Let the instructor be honest and give tips at the same time.

If you dont have the money..... "hey maybe after you take some lessons or can do..xyz...we can hit this stash of trees together..until then I would feel safer if you skied this grove while I skied this grove....Dude I am counting on you to help me if I fall etc....you cannot do that or get help if you are also injured. Put the blame on you....you need him heathy to help you. xyz above would be a course you set up outside the trees or a harder line in easier trees that you id for him/her.

If you are just honest....put it on his family, friends, girlfriend/boyfriend. Dude, if you get hurt, your family etc would kill me for taking you in there/here. Lets meet at x spot.

In any event, buy him/her a whistle and perhaps an avy transmitter, in case the worse does happen and you need to search.