Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ski instructor

ski instructor

has anybody done it? I've been tossing it around for the last few seasons and my buddys dad suggest i do it. He is one as well. Anybody know what the pay is or any suggestions or their thoughts......

Do you need the money to get through the ski season or is it just something you thought would be fun? (I'm assuming you're on the younger side)
    If you just thought it'd be fun I say skip it. Don't mix work and play, especially if the only time you get to ski is when you'll be working.
    send it!

You have to want to do it. Patrol's the same way. Once talked to a guy who thought joining Patrol would be the answer to skiing alot and getting a free season pass. The day I met him, he was lamenting usually being assigned to a mediocre trail, so to speak, and not getting to ski the whole hill. He had joined for a wrong reason.

If one wants to just ski more, they should do what they can to get a season pass.

You have to be ready to deal with people and their kids also. Nowadays there's alot of dinks and that can be a deal changer.

Some people have a real knack for it though. Talked to an Instructor and his young student last weekend. He spends every weekend, Sat & Sat, 6 hrs per day with the 6-7 year old girl. Now he didn't mind it and is well suited for spending his weekend ski time with shortie in tow. They had fun and were telling fun stories. So if you feel the teaching call give it a try.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Mountain Host or lifty (but not if you're only there on the weekends) are better ways to get a free pass
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I too thought about teaching and ski patrol, mostly because it was suggested by friends who were either ski instructors or ski patrollers. I decided it was not worth mixing work and pleasure after the first day of Ski Patrol orientation. Last thing I wanted to be doing is dealing with other people's traumas and being limited as to where I could ski in a day.

I became a ski host at a large resort, which was good and bad. Good because I got in a lot of skiing, but bad because I couldn't cherry pick my ski days and had to be out there when I didn't feel like it (boilerplate or raining) because I was on the schedule. Quit after 7 years of wearing the corporate hat..which was another dislike.

Now I just factor in the cost of skiing into my budget. I work full time during the week to pay for it and buy pre-season discounted lift tickets and the early-bird seasons pass at my local hill.

Choosing not to procreate can also give you more time and money to ski.

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

I believe that one advantage of being an instructor is that you will also get lessons from the better instructors.

But you probably should talk to someone on the hill to find out what is and is not involved.

tom

[quote="Powderqueen"

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.[/quote]

priceless

Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderqueen

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

priceless

x2
    send it!

Quote Originally Posted by fujative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderqueen

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

priceless

x2
    Screw that!
    incoming .................DUCK !

This thread took an interesting turn.

I spent the first 48 years of my life ... well ok I didn't use condoms the WHOLE time, but you know what I mean...

ANYWAY there's fun to be had both ways.

Being a trouble maker (and a teleskier - pretty much the same thing)... I have to stand up for the road less traveled:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/03...ill-video.html
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com