Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ski instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    This thread took an interesting turn.

I spent the first 48 years of my life ... well ok I didn't use condoms the WHOLE time, but you know what I mean...

ANYWAY there's fun to be had both ways.

Being a trouble maker (and a teleskier - pretty much the same thing)... I have to stand up for the road less traveled:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/03...ill-video.html
    Plus 2 - worth every cent

I have been teaching 10 yrs. Short in tenure for most instructors I have run into lately. My two cents:

Do not take this job for money--even if you think the money is ok--which likely it is not. Though Gore, being State owned is much better than most other places.

Take the job if you can:

1) miss most power days and not cry about it.
    2) work most of the day in your boots, but no skis. Or spent on bear cub.
    3) can muster a smile and cheerie tone, on a dime.
    4) like to talk on the lift, about the same subjects over and over.
    5) talk techie---all of your peers will want to break a turn into 1000 parts.
    6) improve on "technically" correct skiing. I put in quotes only because good skiing is had by all who enjoy their time/turns on the hill.

But most importantly if you want to share your gifts of teaching others to enjoy the snow and outdoors as much as you.

If you decide to teach and are hired, you will be well paid in smiles, internal sucessess of your students and comments like..." I wish I had taken a lesson years ago.....skiing is soooooo easy, now its actually fun.." Which is when I smile and interally say....why have you been coming here if it was not fun before.

Know this as well. 99.9% of your cusotmers are happy to be there and willingly pay for the service. Not many other jobs can say that....kind of like if you worked as a scuba instructor in the Virgin Islands. Its not selling insurance or being a dentist. Boring, sad,unenthusistic and pessimistic people generally stay far away from ski areas.