I Love Thin Cover Signs

Skiers and riders where notified of thin cover on Hoyts, Cloudspin and Empire. The reason I love that is because those trails opened and stayed open. People going in knew what they were getting into and those who didn’t want to deal with those conditions had a lot of other choices. I applaud management for letting people decide for themselves. I spoke to a lot of people who felt the same way. BTW- those trails skied great, you just had to pay attention.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

I agree fully. Tell me, then let me decide. Same with the woods - At Jay and Sugarbush the woods are "Neither open or closed. Enter at your own risk. The woods will not be swept by the ski patrol".
    I was bummed that Hoyts and SVG were closed on Friday, then opened Saturday late morning. There was more snow on Friday.
    I like skiing CLoudspin, and was expecting thin cover, but had a blast.

Re: I Love Thin Cover Signs

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Skiers and riders where notified of thin cover on Hoyts, Cloudspin and Empire. The reason I love that is because those trails opened and stayed open. People going in knew what they were getting into and those who didn’t want to deal with those conditions had a lot of other choices. I applaud management for letting people decide for themselves. I spoke to a lot of people who felt the same way. BTW- those trails skied great, you just had to pay attention.
    Totally feel the same way. Gore is great about opening up stuff.

They don't always use a sign, which can be a big problem for people new to the mountain.

The trees at Gore have been open for weeks on end this year when many mountains would not have opened them. I've got a ragged pair or K2s to prove it.

Not complaining as life is too short not to ski because you might scratch your bases.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com