Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks Sponge.

Alright Kiddies. Here it comes!

Noticed the comments at the bottom of this article.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...-back-on-orda/

The nonskiing public perceive our sport as a rich man's sport. They will not want State money going to support our " rich " hobby. Especially when there's not enough money for schools, Cops, roads.

You haven't seen anything yet. When the crap hits the fan people won't want one dime going to our ski mtns.

I've armed ya.....now get ready for the fight.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Ya know, I have a hard time feeling sorry for "poor" NYS ski areas since the State may not help out. They are charging as much or nearly-so as VT areas, get great weekend crowds, but still can't make it.
    C
    The is a falsehood about Gore. I do not like the pricing structure either, but the profit from Gore goes to support all the other money losing venues in Lake Placid.

The idea that ORDA should not get the money at this point (and I do not like ORDA) is just stupid grandstanding. There are too many people upstate who struggle to make a living. Reducing funding will only increase the unemployed and all the issues associated with unemployment. Tourism is one of the few viable businesses inside the Ad Park. They can spend the $ on ORDA or spend the $ on unemployment benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    the profit from Gore goes to support all the other money losing venues in Lake Placid.
    That is an often repeated rumor. Do we have any supporting verification that shows it to be true ? Also often repeated is that Gore yearly loses money. If Gore loses money, how is it supporting Placid financially? Or is that a lie told to secure more State funding?

Guys on here who have read the ORDA financial releases say they are vague, obscure, little breakdown of items, venues lumped together. That kind of smoke and mirrors is usually used to create a shell game. Shell games are played to hide things. Don't know how much direct experience you guys have dealing with corrupt Government and it's agencies but this ORDA situation is starting to sound like a very familiar tune. Anybody ever independently audit ORDA?

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    Tourism is one of the few viable businesses inside the Ad Park.
    Here in the ADKs, Warren County levied a bed tax on hotels to pay for tourism promotion, events etc. Placid and Essex County could easily do like wise to support THEIR Goose that lays THEIR Golden Egg. Speaking of eggs, the restaurants could kick in some bacon too. Not yolking. They can do more to help themselves. Besides, until ORDA is more forthcoming with the books, who can say they really need any money?

Typically, organizations like ORDA who operate without true scrutiny are a safe bet to be corrupt. Especially when those in power at the organization can use their positions to increase their own private business interests.....Like having ORDA building a Convention Center! Where will those Conventioneers stay? Why in ORDA members private hotels of course!

I feel Gore has been pushed against the wall enough. I don't want any more of my ski dollars given to Placid and ORDA'S Convention Center when they are not doing a good job at Gore. Now ORDA may take the rest of the State money granted to Gore for the Ski Bowl to support ORDA. Gore should be separated from ORDA. Gore generates enough cash to be self sufficient.

Glad I got my tax refund already.

NEW YORK STATE -- It's a sign the state budget will likely be late again as Governor Paterson issues temporary emergency spending bills to keep the state running through April 14th. Paterson is authorizing only certain essential payments during the two week period beginning April 1st.

The Governor's office has released the following statement, saying, "Governor Paterson remains committed to working cooperatively with the Assembly and Senate in order to achieve a timely, responsible final budget agreement. However, while those discussions continue, we must also ensure the continued orderly operation of state government during the beginning of the 2010-11 fiscal year."

Assembly

and the Assembly wants to put the money back in the budget...it will be an interesting ride this year.

Yea. I think that is pretty funny. Keeping spending high, without enough money to pay for it. Ya see, they don't have the tax dollars or borrowing lined up to pay for it. Neat trick, huh? I guess it's not a hood wink but a Bull-wink-all.

" Hey Rocky. Watch me pull rabbit out of my hat!". What a circus.

I see NY and California are trying to legalize Pot. I don't know. I guess it would provide tax dollars and maybe cut down on drug crimes. The Mexican Drug Cartels are getting bolder and bringing their style of ultra-violence right into America. Perhaps another benefit is there's many Baby Boomer Stoners who are getting to old to buy their weed from the kid down the street. If legalized they could just go to the local store to pick up their Buddha Bud and munchies. Maybe Pizza Shops will deliver a Pie and a Sack with a side order of Pot brownies for dessert.

I can't imagine the Pot dealers being in favor of Legalization. They'll have to get a job. But then they won't be going to prison for selling. That would save Taxpayers prosecution and incarceration costs.

I don't know. Strange times. High times.

We need Professor Peabody and his Magic Viewing Screen to see through the smoke.

Here's some odd rationale. I copied and pasted it here so maybe more would read it. Here's a link to the article in case some want to sound off at the article's comment section. I suspect some will.

http://www.poststar.com/news/opinion...cc4c002e0.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently heard the news about the state Senate budget zeroing out funding for the Olympic Regional Development Authority in Lake Placid, which hosted the Winter Olympics in 1932 and 1980.

The Senate budget was birthed by a couple of downstaters - Majority Leader Pedro Espada (D-Bronx) and Finance Chairman Carl Kruger (D-Brooklyn).

If the rest of us show the right stuff like these two guys, we can cut our way out of our budget trap.

Places like the Olympic Arena in Lake Placid, site of the 1980 Miracle on Ice, cost money to run. And sites like the Olympic skating oval, where Eric Heiden won five gold medals, are taking up valuable real estate.

It is true that athletes still come from all over the world to compete at the Olympic venues and tourists still come from all over to see them and to ski on Whiteface and get a thrill speeding down the Olympic bobsled run.

But we're in a crisis. We should not be thinking about our long-term prosperity or even our viability. We need to think about whether we can pay our bills tomorrow.

If saving money now means bankrupting our future, then we must. If we can save about $6 million this year by cutting ORDA's funding, it's worth losing hundreds of millions over the next few years.

To make it personal, let's say you offered to give me $5 right now to quit my job. I'd do it, even though I have no prospects and my family relies on my paycheck, because I'd have that $5 in my pocket, and right now my pocket is empty.

A recent SUNY Plattsburgh study found that ORDA's operations had an annual economic impact on the state of more than $300 million.

But the study also found that ORDA employs more than 800 people and, because of ORDA's operations, another 1,200 people in the North Country region have jobs.

If ORDA laid off all its employees, the state would save a nice chunk of payroll spending.

And, if ORDA was gone, private businesses could lay off the 1,200 people whose jobs depend on ORDA's operations, saving those businesses a whole lot of money.

People say it's hard to cut the budget, but that is because they lack creativity, and vision.

It would not occur to most people to eliminate funding for an agency that makes the state money. But most people do not have the short-term thinking ability with which the Senate Democrats are blessed.

We must seize the day, budget-wise. New York needs to put cash in its pockets.

I have an idea for Espada and Kruger. In 2005, New York magazine estimated the real estate value of 843 acres of public land lying dormant in Manhattan at more than $528 billion.

Can you say "budget crisis resolved"? With Senate Democrats leading the way, our next stop should be Central Park.

Will Doolittle is projects editor of The Post-Star. He may be reached at will@poststar.com.

Posted in Wdoolittle on Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:05 pm Updated: 5:11 pm. | Tags: Orda, Olympic Regional

Not sure if you guys saw this.

Could be better news on the ORDA Budget.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Hey guys, that Post Star article posted above would be a good place to reach out to the Politicos on this subject. The Post Star and it's staff win awards and even a Pulitzer Prize for their work. They are good at rattling Politicos cages and they monitor it to see which way the wind is blowing.

Don't know if you saw Albany is trying to make helmets mandatory for skiers. People have varying views on helmets but I'll say I do wear one.

While good for the mountains books, it certainly doesnt help the state that it doesnt pay taxes, a lease for the land, etc. In a budget crunch those are hard costs in the form of lost income. That just means the mountain has to be that much more profitable. The mountain pays those costs, just indirectly.

But at the same time, we all know these venues are not going to disappear.

I could care less how a place is funded as long as it puts out a solid product. Gore/whiteface could go private for all I care as long as the skiing is good. I can think of a few places that have gone private and improved. Sunapee in NH is a good example, for what it is.