Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Pass Money Refund

I have a question concerning purchasing season passes for next season. I have been reading about ORDA cutting funding to Gore/Whiteface next year and I am truly wondering if the mountains can be sustained without the input of funds. I certainly have no idea what the profit/loss situation is but from an outsider looking in, this seemed like a slow year. It most definitely was an abbreviated year compared to past ski seasons.

The following statement is copied from the Gore “Conditions of Use” page:

A MINIMUM NUMBER OF OPERATING DAYS IS NOT GUARANTEED.

A minimum number of operating days could be zero. If I purchase passes in June, and Gore does not open will those dollars be refunded to me?

The possibility of losing well over $1000.00 makes me nervous about my commitment to Gore. When considering the apparent difficult season, lack of ORDA funding, and the State withholding tax refunds, I believe an amendment to the “Conditions of Use” is appropriate. A statement such as:

PERSONS WHO PURCHASE FREQUENT SKIER PRODUCTS WILL BE REFUNDED MONIES IN FULL IN THE EVENT THAT EITHER GORE OR WHITFACE FAIL TO OPEN FOR ALPINE SKI OPERATIONS IN THE 2010/2011 SEASON

Are there any lawyer folk out there who have an opinion?

Gore

Try mike@goremountain.com and let us know.

I did email Mike Pratt earlier this morning. My past experience with Mike has been very good in that although we may disagree, he has been prompt and polite. I am being patient because what we need is a factual answer and that may take some time. I figure I have until June 17th before I have to commit my money to Gore.

This was posted on the Whiteface forum by asland, who went up to the administrative office and asked some questions:

"They also stated that even at worse case scenario, the mountain shuts down, all funds for season pass purchases would be returned."

http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2691&start=15
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

If you are inclined to buy a Gore or Whiteface pass I wouldn't worry about it.

While the fine print technically says they could never open the mountain, and you'd have no recourse, I'd bet a donut that that is not in the realm of possibility.

Gore will open next year. And if somehow it didn't, which is extremely unlikely IMO - you'd get a refund.

The level of rioting over something like that would make paid parking seem like a tea party.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Even the state legislature can't be stupid enough to force Gore/Whiteface to close for the season. It would make no sense to have all those assets sitting idle all year long. The ORDA debt still needs to be paid off and unless they are also considering a default they will need to figure out something anyway.

My concern is reduced operations. Less snowmaking, fewer lifts operating, regular mid week closings, etc. If that happens, then I think there will be a significant exodus for the following year. And I do think the legislature could be stupid enough to only think about the current year.

tom

Mike's reply to my email

Thanks for your suggestions. I am discussing our options, but your suggestion is very simple.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TomCat
    My concern is reduced operations. Less snowmaking, fewer lifts operating, regular mid week closings, etc. If that happens, then I think there will be a significant exodus for the following year. And I do think the legislature could be stupid enough to only think about the current year.tom
    That's a good summation and the most probable reality. Hard to imagine it working out any other way.

Oddly enough, the specter BDM raised is also a possiblity. Things are that bad and worse at NY.fubar.gov. Seriously. Notice Pratt left the door open. Wide open. He didn't bother even trying to close it a little bit in that email.

It's a long shot, but it's visible on the radar.

We should know something in a month or two. One game changer Albany may encounter is a reduced ablity to borrow. They've already plundered most funds set aside for specific programs. They call it sweeping. Worker's Comp got swept last week. Highway and many others are already gone......... They're running out of places to sweep money from. Mr. Brick Wall approaches.
    incoming .................DUCK !

bigdogmom ...

Sorry if I'm being dense here ...

Is Mike's email a response to ... "will you amend the “Conditions of Use” statement?

If so ... would be interesting to see what they use for a minimum number of ops days.

It'd have to be more than one!
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Harvey44....

Yes, I wanted some assurance from Mike that he would put something in writing regarding the refund of money if Gore fails to open.

For as improbable as Gore NOT opening may seem to some, I see our State in meltdown mode. Look at California, NY is not that far behind. We are having our tax refunds withheld, the State parks are closing, The State is withholding education funds, and even Saratoga is at serious risk of not having a race season this year. And even if Saratoga runs, the purses are so diminished that it is losing its prestige status that will be difficult to restore. Our State is a running joke on Saturday Night Live…how much more evidence of imminent collapse do we need?

And thanks a lot for seeding the thought of a “single ski day season”.

Here is the current statement:

CONDITIONS OF USE

1.All purchases final. NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: SICKNESS, INJURY, HEALTH PROBLEMS, RELOCATION, WEATHER CONDITIONS, NATURAL OR MANMADE DISASTERS. A MINIMUM NUMBER OF OPERATING DAYS IS NOT GUARANTEED. SEASON PASSES ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE AND NOT AVAILABLE FOR RESALE.

NY’s fiscal crisis is certainly a “MANMADE DISASTER”