View Poll Results: Will you be buying a Gore/Whiteface Season Pass for the 2010-11 Ski Season

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Gore/Whiteface Full Season Pass

14 48.28%
  • Yes, Gore/Whiteface Non Holiday

1 3.45%
  • No, Season Pass for a VT Area

1 3.45%
  • No, Bouncing Around with Day Tickets

3 10.34%
  • I'm not sure

7 24.14%
  • Other (details below)

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Season Pass 2010-11 Roll Call

As a continuation of Harv's post in the other thread...

I'll go on record saying that "I am not sure" because of the snowmaking situation. For whatever reason, it was poor this year and I can only see it getting worse with the ORDA/Budget Issues.

Wife may be prego so I may just go day to day on discounted day tickets. Also planning a few boys trips out west so my days at Gore / WF may be limited next year. Otherwise I would bite the bullet and buy the pass. We have a place in the area so going to VT isn't really an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostillicus
    I'll go on record saying that "I am not sure" because of the snowmaking situation. For whatever reason, it was poor this year and I can only see it getting worse with the ORDA/Budget Issues.
    That and the fact the weather pattern here definitely seems to be changing. Can't know for sure BUT.....

This last five years have been alot warmer in winter with markedly less snow. We don't have the prolonged subzero weather we had not so long ago. Snow no longer buries the yard 2 feet + all winter long, i.e. Dec- April. Brown ground exists alot now and the snow is gone earlier.

Summers have been very cool and Tons! of rain. Days in June/July are now more like high 50's, low 60's and steadily raining for weeks and weeks. This used to happen a little each spring, a few weeks in May/June, sometimes later. Now it's a prolonged period from May almost into August.

I guess I'm saying I don't look for Ma Nature to help our Ski conditions improve any. Weather wise, ORDA lacking funds couldn't have come at a worse time.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Danzilla
    We have a place in the area so going to VT isn't really an option.
    Me too
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Good move Frosti.

I'm in the same boat with Danno and Sponge.

When we bought our land the primary recreational consideration was the woods (The Siamese) not the hill.

Even being after becoming a lift-served fanatic, and knowing all the limitations of Gore - I'd do it again.

Johnsburg rocks!
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

I'm in for next year. I only have an hour drive to Gore. As I get older it's not the drive up to Vermount thats bad it's the drive home that kills me. I like the closeness of Gore, plus I love the terrain. I know it was a bad snow year, and the snowmaking sucked but I still had a great time every time I went. Think about it, how many really great days of skiing have you had in the past years anywhere. Two maybe three a year. I had that at Gore this year, and this year was the worst snow year I can remember. Me I'm staying. If you all head to big K the lift line will be shorter for me.

It's time to acknowledge that, despite our complaints, Gore and the surrounding area are pretty damn good.

We're at our cabin every weekend. We kayak, ski, hike, cross-country, snowshoe, you name it. We're not too far from the best the park has to offer, and we have stuff nearby that is great (Thirteenth Lake, Minerva Beach, Crane Mountain). We have a supermarket (drive 25 miles to Newcomb and you can't even find a Stewart's!) We have good bars and restaurants. We've made lots of good friends up here and always have a great time . . . AND we have a great ski area close by.

Maybe we take things for granted. Have you ever been on a weekend liftline for the Mt. Mansfield quad, the Jay Peak tram or the Killington gondola? What's the longest you waited on a lift line this season at Gore?

Before we got our cabin, we were betting our money elsewhere -- doing the Killington-Mount Snow-Pico-Sunday River pass, or going to Jay or out west to Utah, etc. -- but we always missed Gore. We love being back and will never give up on the area. This wasn't the best season, but it didn't suck. Like others have said, it was always fun.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I'll be back next winter. But the following year will be decision time for me. Kids will be in college so I won't need to ski holidays. Blackout pass + college pass in VT is about the same cost as Gore. My preferance would be to stay at Gore. I like the hill, the people attracted to the hill and the area as a whole. But if I'm going to be doing a lot more mid week skiing and they don't fix the snowmaking problems I'll be looking carefully at a change.

tom

What's the longest you waited on a lift line this season at Gore?
    Over an hour at least. Wind hold wasn't the reason. Management and funding were the reasons. Standing in a gondi line that stretches the arena from 830-900 and later w/o anyone loading is pure ignorance. What kind of product are they providing? Cant say i dont enjoy my days skiing at Gore...once i'm able to actually ski. Dealing with the headaches of management shouldn't be the customers' problem. Please let me know if i'm wrong and anyone knows another ski area that is notorious for late starts, horrible snomaking, and rampant misreporting of open trails. I will not be buying a pass to Gore/Wface. I'm headed to VT where the resorts value the customer's dollar, not waste it.