Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCat
    I don't really mind the bags on the floor. But I do mind people leaving tablecloths and coolers on tables for the whole day as if they own the table.

tom
    +1

How about enforcing the "no skis allowed inside the lodge" policy?
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Good thread concept Sara - lots of great ideas here.

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas that don't cost anything. I don't think we'd get any response from Mike or Mgmt on any ideas that cost, before the orda/state budget is settled.

The parking idea seems like a really good one, and would be a nice compromise. I sincerely hope that that situation doesn't go in the other direction. Not sure if people paying for parking necessarily coincide with those who use the Northwoods Lodge the most. It may be true, but not in our case. Funny thing is that I could not get myself to park inside the ropes even on days when it was free. Stupid huh. And we use the Northwoods Lodge every ski day.

SIAWOL ... lots of good ideas. The open boundary ... is almost a defacto reality. Would probably get a lot of press if they came out with it. Would it result in more SAR events like 2/28? Would love to hear from Mike or Patrol or someone who knows.

Bumps .... everybody wants bumps. Even my wife wants em now.

Not a fan of first tracks passes. I didn't know WF had it? I'd probably cough it up, but would hate to be in a situation where other ski partners had a lesser pass.

The racing lounge idea is awesome. Would that fly? I think it might.

Gotta say that this year seemed pretty good for mid-week lift ops after presidents day. Of course when I say mid-week lift ops I'm talking High Peaks. You might mean something else.

If the topography was there, I'd love to help cut something that would get us over to Burnt Ridge. Even a cattrack. I think it would even make sense to sacrifice some of the lower portion of Cirque/Sagamore. The problem is that the race course NEEDS a specific kind of layout that is available in only a few places on the hill - namely Echo and Twister. That problem isn't going away. I wonder if you could get the course high enough up on Echo to allow a cut across below the racing? I doubt it, but who knows.

I like the fact that you don't really need a locker at Gore. But then I only eat breakfast at the base. Never lunch. At 7:30 I've got the whole table to myself.

Sorry for the ramble. Like I said .... I'm having a hard time coming up with "free" ideas. You guys done good so far!
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Great Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by adkskier
    are not courteous enough to enter single file and keep right.
    Yea, what is up with that? Are people complete dufuses? Many times this season I was going solo down the concrete steps that lead away from the lodge. The steps were empty. Even tho I was halfway down them and off to the right, other people would ascend and commandeer the whole stair case. Finally I started speaking up after getting pushed around by these people or families....." Hey Einstein, you gotta share the steps! Single file Noodles! I was here first...etc ".

No, I wasn't shy or meek about it. No, I wasn't the rude one, they were! I always make room for others and get tired of people and their rude azz ways. That's a pet peeve for me. So, sometimes I educate Rudies. I'm not a rude or mean person at all. Push me around and I will gladly respond.

I don't think the country would do as well during a Great Depression now as it did 80 years ago. People are just too rude and extremely selfish now. Our society will be extremely violent when it comes.

Racer's Lounge is a great idea and it's a cool name! Cool names can make ideas happen.

Not@ADKskier or others here....

I never complain about the racing cuz it's good for the Mtn and good for the racers themselves. I like that. I like that alot. I also liked old Twister much better than new Twister but it had to change for racing's sake. So be it.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    How about enforcing the "no skis allowed inside the lodge" policy?
    Ugh! How 'bout it? Forgot all about what a nuisance that is--maybe it's because I avoid the day lodge as much as possible. But is it really that hard to leave the skis outside? I'm not naive enough to say no one's going to steal them, but come on.....A real eyesore!

Racers

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the racers. I agree that it's good for the mountain. I think there are some competitions where twister or echo are the only options, but I think there are times when other trails could be used.

The racer lounge is a good idea and plays to the ORDA olympic theme. But if it's a section of the main logde it should be open to the public when there is no racing. I wouldn't want to hunting for a table while a whole section of the lodge sits empty, especially during holiday periods.

tom

Focus people, focus!!!

Some great ideas so far, but don't get sidetracked... for example racing on Twister, yup it happens, yup it may not be the best of trails to use at times; but what other trails can be used? When? What could be done to cordon off different sections...

Enforcing no skis in the lodge - good idea... now move on - more ideas!!!

Don't whine, don't complain - think it though...
    -Keep your skis happy!

The "first tracks" thing at WF is (i) free (ii) first come first serve, by phoning in (iii) usually worth about 2 runs with the ski patrol and by the time the second run is done, the mountain is open. At WF they do it only on selected weekends and it's from the Gondi down Excelsior to whatever run they take you on down to the base. Maybe it makes no sense at Gore - it really may not - but i had a ball doing it at WF. Once those runs are done, you turn in your little badge and you're back with everyone else. It gave me a chance to ask some questions i probably wouldn't have otherwise had time to ask, and learn a bit more about the mountain, the ski patrol, etc. Oh, this reminds me of another thought - http://www.gpsforskiing.com/ and/or http://www.slopetracker.com/ are ways that you can map your day of runs on a GPS device Garmin sells one for about $60). WF is tied into the Garmin device, not yet to slopetracker. but i spoke to Emily about getting Gore tied in as well (and maybe even offering to rent the devices to make a few more bucks another way. Just was a thought

Harv - thanks for all your efforts here, you and everyone else really made skiing more predictable and enjoyable for my crew this year - hope to "bump" into you someday

multi-week/seasonal learn to ski/ride program for ADULTS.

Sugarloaf has a good one--same instructor for 8-10 weeks, on the hill two sessions every Saturday. Adults want to learn to ski, and they appreciate the comfort of knowing every week who their instructor is, who is in their group, what they're going to be working on, etc. And they build friendships (and a love of Gore) by doing so.

Two more:

-live music on the deck in the afternoons (and have the deck snack bar open!)

-a couple hosts/greeters stationed outside base lodge in the mornings