Thread: Firewood

Firewood

Wondering if anyone can help us.

We've had a building on our property since 2002.

Between driveway clearing, building clearing and a few different ice storms we've been heating the cabin with what had fallen.

Looks like the end of the line on "free wood." We're not willing to drop trees for heat.

We burn about a cord if we get a good winter. Only burned half this year. And we need it cut to a short length.

Anybody know a good source in North River or North Creek?
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

The last few cords I got from public vendors sucked. They did not burn well in my fireplace at all. Be careful. Course, you have a wood stove. Most anything will burn in those. Check the Post Star want ads.

You mentioned burning wood from your property. You haven't been burning Pine have you? Pine puts creosote in your chimney which causes chimney fires. Just checking.

EVERYBODY! make sure you have a least one big fire extinguisher with the flexible hose. Lowe's $60+. Those little ones are toys.

Two years ago, after burning all winter, I started a fire in the fireplace on a cold, rainy May day. Well, the stupid birds, et al had put nesting crap in my chimney Thru The Screen on Top! and after a while it dried out and it caught fire. A passerby alerted me. Nicole called 911 while I manned the fire extinguishers. I "mostly" beat the fireplace fire down with a little, one foot tall fire extinguisher, and thought....Why not spray it up the chimney also? Well, once on it's side, it wouldn't spray. So I grabbed Big Bertha, stuck her hose in the flue and let her rip!! The chimney fire went out fast and there was a white cloud of Fire extinguisher stuff drifting out across the lawn down to the neighbors. There was still plenty left in the Big Bertha's tank.

When the Firemen arrived, I was briefing the Captain while he suited up. He couldn't believe what I did. They were all very surprised by the tale. They checked it all out, removed the bird nesting crap from the chimney top and kept shaking their head that I was able to put it out by myself. Now I have two big extinguishers. One upstairs and one downstairs.

EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE BIG FIRE EXTINGUISHER. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR PROPERTY! GET ONE! GET TWO!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Got a ton of response (via PM) so thanks everybody. One of the guys suggested has actually done a lot of work for us in the past - I didn't know he was in the wood business too, but it makes sense.

I've been burning maple almost exclusively. Small amounts of beech, birch and apple. If I was willing to burn the soft stuff I'd still have plenty.

Last two years when I cleaned my pipe I got less than a cupful of soot out of the pipe, so hopefully things are looking good. I don't have a screen at the top of our pipe, but haven't had any problem with birds or bats yet.

Definitely keep a charged extinguisher too.

One thing that makes me cranky ... we've got a NiMo (Nat'l Grid) easement across the front of our land for the powerlines. The power company cuts down trees every few years. The last two times they cut down some NICE sugar maple, and either they, or passers-by snagged most of it before I had a chance. Pisses me off. The way I see it - that's stealing. Not much I can do about it.

Ok whining over. Thanks again everyone.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    . Pisses me off. The way I see it - that's stealing. Not much I can do about it.
    It must. Don't believe I've ever seen you write a ^%$##! word before. Out in the Hollers, where people use junk cars, etc for lawn ornamentation, people steal scrap right out of front yards. Many a engine block or transaxle has disappeared that way. Even whole junk cars. lol. Cracks me up.

Now, the hillbillies are occasionally stealing livestock....Cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    . Pisses me off. The way I see it - that's stealing. Not much I can do about it.
    It must. Don't believe I've ever seen you write a ^%$##! word before. Out in the Hollers, where people use junk cars, etc for lawn ornamentation, people steal scrap right out of front yards. Many a engine block or transaxle has disappeared that way. Even whole junk cars. lol. Cracks me up.

And my wife thinks I'm crazy for locking up my kayaks
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy

Yeah damn it, the last time I went up to use your 'yaks they were all locked up and there was no beer in the fridge!

Chimneys

Annual cleaning (to remove bird nests!) and creosote is always a good idea. Better and less costly than a fire extinguisher- keep a couple of Chimnex chimney fire flares on hand. They light like a road flare and release carbon dioxide to smother a chimney fire. It's the first thing that many fire chiefs will do when they arrive at a suspected chimney fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy

Yeah damn it, the last time I went up to use your 'yaks they were all locked up and there was no beer in the fridge!
    When the beer is gone, that's when I know it's time to head south. But the liquor cabinet is always stocked
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli