todays TR. 5/22/10

sooo went up biking today. thought id give a quick report on how it went along with some pictures. first off there were maybe....6 cars in the lot including mine. i was the only one who rode that entire day, and there were maybe 2 or 3 hikers that i encountered. first thing i have to says is if anyone remembered my last report last yr was the stones on ruby run, this year they covered it all with dirt so much better ride down with not flats. basically the upper half is all the same not gunna give detail look at my post last yr. sidewinder, you go down the work road off sunway, pop back onto sunway where it splits with quicksilver, continue on down sunway and you drop back into the woods on the work road again. then you come out on top of otterslide glades, once you are in outerslide glades its nothing but switchbacks. some of the switch backs were really wacky while others kinda flowed. it was easy to tell a skier made them ( i already knew a skier did make them) they were really quick, tight turns that are easy enough on skis but quite a challenge on a bike. once you got done with the switchbacks it was mainly XC type riding for idk how long it was, longer than i cared to be on it since i was on my DH bike. but i think if i was on a smaller, lighter bike it would have been a fun trail. so got done with that, went and just did a bomb run down upper sunway to the work road again to go do wolfpack run i think it is. same run as last yr so again dont really want to describe it, look at the older post. in short tho, technical, upper half lacks flow, lower half is nice and fast with a few nice rocks to launch off of. went back down, took off alll my armor and got out my "normal" helmet if you will, to accomplish the tast that led me there today; last day i skied was the saturday before they closed, left my jacket at the top of the mountain, never went back sunday to get it. so took the gondi back up, went down the work road to get to headwaters, and then hiked all the way to the top. got to the warming hut and took some pics, got my jacket and frisbee which i also forgot up there and took off all the way down the work road to the bottom. that run consisted of.... uppersteilhang, cloud, headwaters to micas to tannery (no work road on headwaters or mica, just wanted to see some snow!!!! little bit of snow on lies, little bit more snow on rumor, and even more snow on the bottom of hawkeye. unfortunatly i never got pics of any of it i was trying to take a helmet cam vid and as soon as i past hawkeye i ran out of room on my card. but still a fun day none the less. compared to last year i think they did better, but only becuase i was more creative with what i wanted to do. i think they are rediculous charging $30 for what they have to offer, but if you have an all mountain or XC bike and want to just go have fun on the mountain than id recommend the one ride ticket...still a lot.... and just go where ever. best part about it is there arent really any people on the mountain to tell you were not to go. but still dont do something retarded like ride down rumor. i tried riding cave and that didnt work out. haha. but all in all it wasnt bad.

side note, they were cutting the glades off wildair....entrance is not ideal. again they dont THINK about what they are doing. the entrance is off of wildair at the top, not right at the top or off sunway like they should have done, but under where the snowfence is put up. that means that a bunch of kids and parents are going to be entering the park, going through a bunch of peaople waiting to hit the mini jumps, possibly cutting them off or hitting them, in order to get to the woods. the thought put behind everything they do really amazes me because i dont think they think about it. its obvious what they are trying to do and thats get people on wildair, but there are usually enough people on that trail to cause a ton of issues anyways. so please people of gore who read this, make the entrace off sunway!!!!! annnnddddd end rant.

now for pictures.

its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

Rossi ... those are some sweet pics. So cool to see the mountain naked like that.

I've never been past the top of Bear in the off-season.

Love seeing the little stashes of snow here and there. Great pic inside the old Gondi building too.

Great TR.

Hope this Wild Air thing works out.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

hey harv. here is a pic of the entrance to the wildair glade. kinda crappy because i was using my helmet cam to take pics so no zoom, but the entrace is just to the right of the drainage ditch.

its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

very cool, thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed

nice pics conner,very cool,,im a bit surprised that there wasnt more snow on the trails,but wellll,,,, i wont go there.but usually theres skiing to be had on thomas the train weekend.