Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mountain Stats anyone?

I'm looking for a few mountain stats for a research paper I'm doing on Gore. Can anyone help me out with a few things?

-Vertical rise and Time it took for the old red gondola to go up
    -Acreage added from the Topridge Area expansion
    -Acreage added from the Burnt Ridge Expansion
    -Any other random fun facts about Gore

Thanks!
    send it!

OH OH...May I ask a ? too?

Did the old Red Gondola have a proper name?

Was it possible to disembark at Midstation of the old Red Gondola?

Has anyone on here ever skied down from the Midstation building? What's it like?

It looks like one could ski down from Foxlair and slide right out that little ridge to the Midstation building and then down the frontside to Sunway......Actually looks pretty cool when viewed from the Topridge Triple.

Anybody ever done this? It looks like there is a bit of a trail........
    incoming .................DUCK !

Sounds like Fuji wants someone to type his term paper for him.

Just kidding.....

Surely all this info has been discussed on this or other forums....a call to Gore could easily answer the acerage questions and the old name. Am I thinkingof the Lake Placid gondi if I was to speculate seeing something about flying in the name?

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    Sounds like Fuji wants someone to type his term paper for him.

Just kidding.....

Surely all this info has been discussed on this or other forums....a call to Gore could easily answer the acerage questions and the old name. Am I thinkingof the Lake Placid gondi if I was to speculate seeing something about flying in the name?
    That'd be nice! I'm already half way done though. It's due... well technically today I guess... so a call home wouldn't quite work out.
    Whiteface's Gondi = The Cloudsplitter. Jay has a highspeed triple called the Flyer, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    OH OH...May I ask a ? too?

Did the old Red Gondola have a proper name?

Was it possible to disembark at Midstation of the old Red Gondola?

Has anyone on here ever skied down from the Midstation building? What's it like?

It looks like one could ski down from Foxlair and slide right out that little ridge to the Midstation building and then down the frontside to Sunway......Actually looks pretty cool when viewed from the Topridge Triple.

Anybody ever done this? It looks like there is a bit of a trail........
    On Gore's timeline it simply called it "The Old Red Gondola"
    No you couldn't get off at the midstation, It was just a turning point I believe
    I've heard of people doing it, but people just lie. The wind tells me it's steep, narrow, overgrown, and dangerous. Also that there's a live 240V wire running up the middle of it.
    Yeah it looks like you could... but you cant.
    There it no trail. I've heard of people finding magical portals to teleport there though.
    send it!

Snowballs- some things are best not discussed on internet message boards.

Oui Monsieurs. Check it.... I've heard a couple people say they used to disemabarked at midstation on the ORG. Hehe.

There, I christened it ORG. Now it has a name. A nom de plume.

ORG must of had one of them there Portals Fuj mentioned @ Midstation, eh ?

I think the ride was 19 minutes. There's a guy who posts on Harvey Road who knows a lot of this stuff. I'll reach out to him.

I'm glad I got to ride the ORG but MAN I'm glad I was never up over the canyon when it broke down!

And uh ... I agree with Frosti.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    I think the ride was 19 minutes.
    I think that is about right. It was about the same as the East Chair at the time.

There were no official disembarking at the mid station. There were no attendants there to let you out, just a couple of lift operators. I know of at least one former ski patrol that more recently worked as a groomer that skied the line below Midstation. (I also saw this individual ski the last drop under the HP chair Circa 1979) I also know of others, more recently that have skied it (with half a binding no less!) Midstation was where both (upper and lower lines) of the Gondolas were operated from. Since this is were the lift changes direction you had to detach from the lower line and reattach to the upper line there. (ski lifs have a really hard time going around corners.)

At the time there was a mysterious maladay that caused the lift to have an emergency stop any time the mountain manager was in the gondola over the abyss. This would cause a stomach lightening yo-yo ride up and down while the counter balance bobbed with a full line of full gondolas.

Ahh the memories

Yea they say the ORG cars used to be rather aromatic on a regular basis.....like at a Grateful Dead concert. Damn kids.

I think the lift operators in the midstation pushed the gondola from the lower line to the upper line.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Yea they say the ORG cars used to be rather aromatic on a regular basis.....like at a Grateful Dead concert. Damn kids.
    Every gondola in North America was aromatic. Sometimes the right company and circumstances turned aromatic to amorous.