Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ESPANA...sorry.

Do look forward to the photos though.

Looking at your photos in more detail, can you believe how good the aqua paint has held up?

And, an investor (if Gore would allow) could make a run at changing this building into a sleeping lodge..aka Hostel style. Say $20 a night. Or Gore could revamp it into employee housing.

Dang spanish. Haha. Nothing can really be made
    of that building. Realy to far from everything. Even in the winter. A trail getting to it would be flat. Plus after, in order to get down you need to circumnavigate a cliff line some how
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

Will most likely be heading up Sunday to hike around for the day so I'll get the shots

Cool. I believe there's a work road from Sunway up to the transfer station.
    incoming .................DUCK !

The idea is presented hostel style similar to some resorts that are already doing this. Out of the way places--rough facilities. Half the fun is hiking, shoeing or otherwise (sleigh ride/snowmobile) getting to the spot. Pack in, pack out what you need---camping style. Wood for a fire and restrooms are provided. At some---they pick certain nights and charge out the wazzoo to hire a chef and create a special meal. Rich people like to wear their fur and pretend they are roughing it too. Rather than hike to the spot they pay for a snomobile ride or rent one for the night. Lots of snowmobile trails--I can see renting it to a crew of them on a trail trip.

Agree if it were for employees, one would need a working road.

Some examples: Stowe: The lodge at the top.
    Kicking horse--nice house, ride the gondi and then a snomobile takes you to the home--you have first tracks if you want them.
    Southwest Co...Yurts along the San Juan mountains..Around Telluride, Durango, Silverton. For backcountry skiing and outfitters.

Yea I see where you're going with this Iskiing.The transfer station would be a cool one, all perched atop that ridge, views both ways.

As to the rich aspect, a lil tale. We have a friend who's family gets to go out on Lake George with a rich guy from the city several times a year. They boat around all day just singing. The guy likes to sing. Anyway, he has the Sagamore Hotel cater their lunches. They meet up on some island and the Sagamore Chef and staff cook them lunches complete with linen, silverware, crystal, expensive wines. They can eat what ever fancy dish they want. She prefers the hamburgers as they are made from filet mignon. Then off they go to sing and swim some more. Kinda like Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family. Rough huh?

Incidently, the Von Trapp family settled in the Stowe area and still operate an Inn there.

Exactly what I am talking about. Real money does not worry about logistics...."just do it". Then for the rest of the folks....there is "just hike it--along with your stuff". One thing that would have to be worked out logistically (no real issue) would be the groomers. Cant have hikers and groomers on the same path for liability reasons I am sure.

Example of what I speak.....Helicopter skiing. Full paying fares can be $2,500 a day with walnut table conference room "training" session (in ski boots on very expensive carpet, coffee serviced in china cups with waiters), nice lunch and full 5 course dinner, drinks included. I know, I skied with these guys...after 2-3 runs they are like....well that was fun, lets quit. WHAT? You have 4 more runs for your $2,500! One guy purchased 5 days for himself and his two sons. Due to wind and snow, it took him 2 weeks to get in his 5 days. He just extended his $10,000/wk condo an extra week to get it in. If you build it, they will come. Not saying Gore would attact "stupid money" but there maybe a business case at some level. Obviously the money is in the area...just look at some Lake George homes.

NOTE: I did not and would never pay that kind of cash. Not disclosing here, but there are ways to heli ski less expensively.

One of my favorite movies is Sound of Music. Great fact. Now that you brought this up, I do recall seeing a sign or something similar with the "Trapp" name during my last visit there, 2 yrs ago. I wondered then....? Could it be?

True life becomes art.

http://www.trappfamily.com/story

Ja. Zey zettled zere after zee var. Guten tag!

Sorry everyone. Won't be making it up today, i'm home sick. I'll try and make it up either later in the week if I have a day off or definatly next weekend

My brother just sent this to me... how intriguing!

http://www.goremountain.com/about/pd...cation_Map.pdf

There is a trail that goes from Foxlair to the midstation down to the Top Ridge Triple, and another little loop that comes off of Topridge.
    It's shaded as "approved"
    The map is a draft from January 2008
    send it!