Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flatwater Kayaking in the North Creek Area?

Hey Dudes. Happy Summer. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good flatwater (easy access preferred) kayak spots in the North Creek Area? I've gone quite a bit in a couple of small lakes in the GF region, but I'm statring to get tired of the same old spots. Any help is appreciated.

13th Lake. Easy access, nice size and little shoreline developement. Loon Lake is nice, easy access. It's been described as one of the most scenic lakes in the ADK's, but Idk. We do like it but Paradox is prettier, IMO.

Some of the remote lakes have their access roads locked this year due to DEC money issues. Myself, I'ld recommend staying off of Lake George w/kayaks and canoes. That lake isn't very friendly to small vessels, as seen lately it turns deadly for them. I'ld at least hug the shore.

Side Note:

Hope everybody is washing off their boats and paddles, etc as they hop from water to water. Invasive species suck bigtime. I've seen lakes that are COMPLETELY choked out with Milfoil. It looks so thick as if you could walk across it. It's gonna be very sad if these lakes up here get ruined by that BS! Zebra mussels and Rock Snot suck too.

Out of the area people who visit here in the summertime should consider bringing swim suits. Many of the waters are absolutely crystal clear. Mirror Lake in Placid is that way, has a nice beach, changing house and more than it's share of Hotties.
    incoming .................DUCK !

No way would I kayak in LG this time of year. Loon is nice. Thanks for the imput!

I was also thinking about Forked Lake (which is a little further North). Anyone done that?

Garnet Lake out past Johnsburg is nice, small, scenic, quiet with easy access. Cedar River Flow past Indian Lake is nice small scenic quiet and easy access. I think you can still drive to the dam even with the Moose River Plains Road closed beyond there. Happy boating.

Thurman Station down to 1000 acres or Lake Luzerne. It's not exactly flatwater but in no means whitewater. You'll need to have a second car or bike to get back up to the start point though.

Here are some pics from about a month back

On a semi-related note... any whitewater kayakers out there? I'm heading out to the Schroon or Sac for my first time ever on whitewater. I'm pretty stoked!
    send it!

Just an FYI for the board....there's one caveat on that Hudson River run Fuj mentioned. There's a very dangerous falls, Rockwell?, just before the town of Lake Luzerne. Don't mess with it. People die there even during low water. There's a take out spot, skier's right, before the Falls. There "MAYBE" signs on the river alerting boaters to the falls - but I'm not sure! Falls can be very difficult to see by upriver boaters. Before you know it, you're sucked in and going over. The water below the falls is very dangerous, too. Couple years ago a strong swimmer, young man, swam there and lost. The water there looks docile but it's not.

There's also a bad spot on the Sacandaga river below the trestle, skier's left of midriver. It's an underwater boulder that traps people underwater and holds them there in it's current. You could see it from the dead end road above that stretch. They were talking about removing it - don't know if they did. Stay to the right, on the inside of the bend.

Just want you to be informed and thus safe. Go, have fun, come back home.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Blue mountain lake

It's not exactly NC, but not that far either. Very nice lake with some public islansd in the middle that you can stop at.

tom

Re: Flatwater Kayaking in the North Creek Area?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostillicus
    Hey Dudes. Happy Summer. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good flatwater (easy access preferred) kayak spots in the North Creek Area? I've gone quite a bit in a couple of small lakes in the GF region, but I'm statring to get tired of the same old spots. Any help is appreciated.
    13th Lake for sure. Also try Minerva Stream -- go north down to the dam from the 4-way stop sign in Olmstedville (the corner with Sullivan's & The Lucky Leprechaun). Either put in there or, if you have two cars, head up that road and put in right at the 1st overpass. Cedar River Flow is beautiful, but read up on it first in the interwebitubes so that you know how to get into the twisty stream at southeastern part of the flow -- that stream is one of the best parts of paddling Cedar River Flow.

Forked Lake is very nice, tho' it's a bit of a trek from North Creek. If you do go, don't put in at the campground (first entrance). Keep going until you cross over the Raquette River. There's a put-in right after that on your right.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

13th Lake is a beauty for sure, especially considering you can drive to it:

My best pic of 13th Lake.

A couple pics from the Balm of Gilead Cliffs above the Lake.

Crane Pond over near Schroon Lake is really nice and not too far of a hike too.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Just an FYI for the board....there's one caveat on that Hudson River run Fuj mentioned. There's a very dangerous falls, Rockwell?, just before the town of Lake Luzerne. Don't mess with it. People die there even during low water. There's a take out spot, skier's right, before the Falls. There "MAYBE" signs on the river alerting boaters to the falls - but I'm not sure! Falls can be very difficult to see by upriver boaters. Before you know it, you're sucked in and going over. The water below the falls is very dangerous, too. Couple years ago a strong swimmer, young man, swam there and lost. The water there looks docile but it's not.

There's also a bad spot on the Sacandaga river below the trestle, skier's left of midriver. It's an underwater boulder that traps people underwater and holds them there in it's current. You could see it from the dead end road above that stretch. They were talking about removing it - don't know if they did. Stay to the right, on the inside of the bend.

Just want you to be informed and thus safe. Go, have fun, come back home.
    Yes, that would be Rockwell Falls. A lot of people jump at the bridge there. I heard about it and it being really sketchy, so I stayed away. One day I finally checked it out and jumped. Went probably 10 times with no issues. Last summer, my next-door-neighbors (house of 6 navy guys and gals who worked at the West Milton Naval Base) were with a guy who got sucked under and drowned there. I haven't been back since.

People have ran in it whitewater kayaks, but it's DEFINITELY not recommended, and maybe illegal.
    send it!