Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Fuj. Your pics from the Hudson are pretty. Gotta hit that stretch. Bridge jumping is fun, but like you said not there. Get this, I've ran into a couple people in Luzerne who " claim " they jumped off the trestle over the Sac. A 100 ft jump into 6 ft? of water, yea right. I'm from Missouri on that one.

Sacandaga River is a pretty lookin run. Stewart's pond on the Sac, where you put in, is a great place to fish. Poppers early am will net you Big Azz Bass. There's shoreline rope swings on Stewart's, more fun. An unusual feature on the Hudson from Corinth to Hudson Falls has 6 or so dams in less than 20 miles. Some are rather high. They corral the river as it descends out of the mtns.

Rachel Ray is from Luzerne and maintains a home on Lake Vanare. Sometimes she stops at Lake Luzerne to chat with her friend Madeline who sells hot dogs lakeside. We there alot, but have seen her yet. I wanna go to her house for dinner.

We've wanted to tube the Schroon but not sure where to put in. The dam on there and where the best spot is has me confused.

Rafting on the Hudson, thru the gorge looks very fun. Spring time it's wild. Summer time it's mild. It's not a cheap family day when you go with the local companies but it is highly spoke of. The Cunninghams, NC fame, operate raft tours there and one of them is seen on local TV commercial streamside lookin all rugged and giving his pitch. Someday, when the kid gets older, we'll go.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll being doing some research and hopefully we'll have a nicer Summer than last year so I can get out and explore.

In the pure interest of public safety, I gotta post another just emerging local story. Many out of towners read on here and may not be totally informed before the trying things discussed here. There's been two canoe/kayak deaths on Lake George already this season. One was run over by a " slow moving " boat.

Now a man writes to the Chronicle that he was kayaking LG and his friends were in a canoe when the following happened June 4th....

" I was kayaking on LG and a boat was coming at me at high speeds. To alert the boater of my whereabouts I waved my paddle.

The individual cut it very close to my boat as well as the individuals I was with in a canoe. When the driver saw how alarmed we were, he proceeded to do circles around our boats at high speeds, causing a heavy wake which resulted in the canoe flipping over in the middle of the lake approximately a mile from shore.

The event was terrifying, and this coming from an experienced boater who has been navigating the lake for 20 years. After making our 2 hour trip (i.e. swim?) with a flipped canoe back to shore I immediately contacted the Sheriff's office. "

They got the boat's registration numbers and an investigation is under way. Lake George while idyllic is not small boat friendly, esp. the southern basin. If you must go, stay close to shore. Large lakes get large waves that can swamp or conceal canoes, etc. Power boats can and do cause LG canoe/kayak fatalities.

Nature is not the only hazard. A-holes are just as present and probably more dangerous. " Drive defensively ".

Rachel Ray is from Luzerne and maintains a home on Lake Vanare. Sometimes she stops at Lake Luzerne to chat with her friend Madeline who sells hot dogs lakeside. We there alot, but have seen her yet. I wanna go to her house for dinner.

on a complete side note, my mom use to be rachel rays boss when she was younger. haha

as far as kayaking goes, i only go on lakes and rivers to fish, so i cant help much
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

north end of of schroon river is one of my favorites. go to exit 28, head straight down rt. 74 about a mile, put in just before the bridge and float or paddle right out into the lake.

works best if you have someone to pick you up at the north end of the lake, wouldnt want to paddle all the way back up stream.

mdnghtcarvng: Appreciate the feedback on this and the old Gondi thread.

I just viewed the stretch you spoke of... Definitely looks to be flat water! I see, easily, 9 oxbow lakes and all of this twisting depcits slack water.

This is the best stretch I have seen yet that I would feel comfortable taking my 5 yr old on for starters. While I will be checking this out in advance, a few questions:

Assuming typical weather--no strong storms or drought---what time might this take, looks like 3 hours? Is paddling recommended or necessary to accomplish this in the time you might note. Example: Sit on your butt 5 hrs. Paddle 3 hours. Water depth..... about? I dont see any drops or rocks in the photos, so guessing we would not have to portage or push any length of this.

Is that a privite road owned by the marina? Looks like the take out is right on the peninsula if public.

Just a heads up for all, Brush/trees across the stream, in the stream, over hanging the water or on the side banks can turn a tame float into a killer one. With canoes, brush tends to turn the canoe sideways and the current then quickly makes it tip and people/ lil ones then get stuck submerged under brush. You may not be able to retrieve them in mere minutes.

Several years ago I had dive in and save a tuber on the Battenkill from this. It was a tame ride that very quickly turned lethal. It was real touch and go. I truly didn't think either one of us was going to get out alive. It was real scary and I'm no baby. Avoid trees and brush at all costs even on tame water.

The lower Schroon, after the lake has a dam across it that is of course to be avoided.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just want people to be informed of potentail hazards, ones I've personally seen happen to others. These wilderness streams may be clear one day, and the next have trees/brush in them at a most inconvienent place, i.e. current. Stay alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    Just a heads up for all, Brush/trees across the stream, in the stream, over hanging the water or on the side banks can turn a tame float into a killer one. With canoes, brush tends to turn the canoe sideways and the current then quickly makes it tip and people/ lil ones then get stuck submerged under brush. You may not be able to retrieve them in mere minutes.

Several years ago I had dive in and save a tuber on the Battenkill from this. It was a tame ride that very quickly turned lethal. It was real touch and go. I truly didn't think either one of us was going to get out alive. It was real scary and I'm no baby. Avoid trees and brush at all costs even on tame water.

The lower Schroon, after the lake has a dam across it that is of course to be avoided.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just want people to be informed of potentail hazards, ones I've personally seen happen to others. These wilderness streams may be clear one day, and the next have trees/brush in them at a most inconvienent place, i.e. current. Stay alert.
    Everybody should read "At the Mercy of the Mountains" if they don't already have respect for the ADK wilderness. A good place to enter your name on the yearly Darwin awards is an ADK river that you haven't scouted, especially with a strainer (as described above)
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Thanks for the book recommendation Sponge. I am going to order it from Amazon today.

I just spent a weekend on Indian lake with some friends and loved kayaking there. More than half the lake is wilderness and even on a weekend there were only a handful of power boats. Very pretty. There is a state boat launch about halfway down the lake on route 30. It also looks like you may be able to launch at the north end near the indian lake dam. Has anyone here ever launched there? I hate having to drive an extra 6-8 miles and PAY to launch a kayak.

I also rank 13th lake near the top of my list for nearby paddles. Blue Mountain lake is a pretty paddle. Rich and Harris lakes up in Newcomb are also nice and the Goodnow mountain hike is a good moderate level hike nearby with great views at the top. Loon lake is good if you go early in the morning before the boats get active and there aren't many cars on the road (road noise from 9). Adirondack lake is OK but it is small and you get some road noise from 28. Abanakee is also nice south of 28.

The wife and I have sea kayaks so no river kayaking for us. I am interested in taking a whitewater kayak class. Always wanted to do it, but just haven't yet. We just spent some time in Saratoga and kayaked the Kayderossa creek - that was like being in a different world.

There are several books that you must own if you want to kayak/canoe in the ADKs:

Quiet Water New York, 2nd: Canoe & Kayak Guide (ponds/lakes updated in 2007 to include new additions to the ADK park)
    Fun on Flatwater: An Introduction to Adirondack Canoeing (by the legendary Barbara McMartin -- ponds/lakes & streams)
    The Adirondack Mountain Club Canoe and Kayak Guide: East-Central New York State (rivers/streams)
    Canoeing and Kayaking New York (new in 2009) (rivers/streams)

There's also Adirondack Canoe Waters, North Flow, but rumors are that a long-overdue update is coming.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli