Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally, A few North Creek business signs !!!

It's about friggn time they let people know they're there. I recall writing 2 years ago about their lame lack of signage and suddenly a pickup truck with a plywood sign in it's bed appeared near Cunninghams advertising a downtown business. Sorry, but without signs or some kinda steady local advertisement nobody knows whats down there and people just drive right by it.

http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...cc4c002e0.html
    incoming .................DUCK !

The vandalized poster at the corner of Peaceful Valley and 28.....local police say there was an intent to destroy with some theory that whoever did it did not want tourists staying around NC. Rather they were mad at NC for trying persuade visitors to stay at NC, rather than say drive to ? to go shopping etc.

I will play the bunk card. If someone did this because of the reasons the police hypothosized, it would be an adult. An adult with this much malice and aforethought would not have mildly destroyed the poster so that people can still read it.

No, come on police.. If the view of that sign does not scream board teenager nothing does. Moreover, look for a bored lazy teen. Come on, if you are going to peel apart a sign, lets do it right...!

I didn't know that sign was vandalized. That is a real bummer.

Was it recent? I don't remember it seeing it that way a few weeks ago.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

Wind?

Sort of looked to me as if e damage might have been caused by wind. There's all sorts of controversy among the merchants, but I think that they may have prematurely jumped to the vandalism conclusion. The sign has been there for years. It just sucked before so no one noticed it.

Could have been wind, but I doubt it. 3 distinct areas of missing vinyl. And it was missing, not flapping. I have a 3 and 5 yr old. The missing parts look exactly like any sticker my kids try to peel off. Starts big, then gets smaller and smaller until it rips...think trianagle. This sign is the new vinyl cover....for those (like me and obviously my kids) its fun to peel stickers off....it just is. Three areas---two on the right side and one on the left side reveal kids having fun, not vandalism (as defined). Malicious intent to harm. I think there was soley an intent to be "bad". If the kids who did this were reading the News Enterprise ( I doubt they are), I think they would laugh at the opposing camps inuendos.

The News Enterprise now is serving as a battlefield where NC/NON-NC ideas are tossed like bombs on the community, further separating it. If these two groups joined (and generally they are) arms, the community as a whole would benefit. http://www.denpubs.com/Scribd.Item-6...nterprise.html

While I am not a trained police investigator: I note: There are three missing parts of this sign. Each of the three area is in a location of non-important reading. Basically the "vandal" left the reader being able to read the poster as it was written. If either NC or Non-NC intent was to vandalize the sign, wouldn't they make sure you could not read the sign? Better yet...one might argue the vandal may have been freightened away and could not finish their job....why then three distint tears, each of which would have taken time. Rather, if the intent was to make the sign unreadable, the vandal would have keep peeling one area to ensure the message was obliterated before moving to another part of the sign.

Honest to God---all of this crossed my untrained eye/mind in less than 10 seconds as I drove by the intersection. Maybe I missed my calling or have better things to worry about. Or maybe I am dead wrong and the vandal intended to make a political statement by the vandalsim. I am drawn to this now because it may escalate to war between NC and non-NC residents, just as the Hatfields and McCoys or the Christian/Jewish/Muslims of the past/present where minor difference of opinion(or fact) manifests into all out war. People ask how politics can get into newspapers, once proud of printing "just the facts". Here either the reporter, editor, or letter writer....wrote or expressed others opinions as to who/how this was caused. Opinions they likley felt or agreed with internally and which they knew would interest their readers. Afterall, who just wants to read facts--facts are boring.

If it was wind---then the NC business community can get a free sign under some workmanship contract with the sign company----but then maybe, just maybe it was the sign company that floated the vandalizm theory and in-fighting to avoid having to replace the sign for free????? Or to add more conspiracy ...maybe the sign company vandalized their own sign in hopes of increasing business by having it replaced/repaired. Or maybe, just maybe the NC business association vandalized their own sign to get press on what otherwise was a relatively unrecognized sign. The PLOT THICKENS---tune in next week for the adventures of Barney in our own Mayberry RFD. Andy, please come off vacation so that we can just solve this by proving to the town---ITS JUST KIDS.

Re: Wind?

Quote Originally Posted by adkskier
    It just sucked before so no one noticed it.
    Yuck yuck yuck..... and not hard to imagine.

The sign's areas that were peeled may have been ones were there was enough sticking up to get a hold of.

I do hope they get better signage up. I go to Gore tons and had no idea the newer NC businesses were even there until I read about them on here a couple years ago.

I read in the article that there were 179 RV campers at the Ski Bowl for the recent Bluegrass Festival weekend. I find that impressive.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Re: Wind?

[quote="Snowballs"]
    I read in the article that there were 179 RV campers at the Ski Bowl for the recent Bluegrass Festival weekend. I find that impressive.

I think I followed 178 of them home in the rain.

RV's

Unfortunately the RV campers at the Blue Grass Festival do very little for the local economy. I observed a few of them in the grocery store. At least I think they were campers. They may have just been other tourists. This festival doesn't seem to be a draw for the bars and restaurants. RV'rs are notorious for sitting around their campers and cooking out. No idea about retail biz, but Main Street didn't seem to be busier than usual. Maybe the hardware store sold some parts for repairs. They just turned the ski bowl into a private campground.

Act of Nature

From the Town of Johnsburg Facebook page:
    "In other news.....a correction printed in the most recent issue of the News Enterprise states that after further investigation by Warren Co Sheriffs re: damage to the promotional sign on Rt 28 has been determined an 'act of nature'. No charges will be filed and no arrests for vandalism will be made."

Re: Act of Nature

From the Town of Johnsburg Facebook page:
    "In other news.....a correction printed in the most recent issue of the News Enterprise states that after further investigation by Warren Co Sheriffs re: damage to the promotional sign on Rt 28 has been determined an 'act of nature'. No charges will be filed and no arrests for vandalism will be made."
    Just saw that as well. Wonder how that was determined? I'll be up in a few days and will definitely check it out.

EDIT: I went down to PV Road to check out the sign and it looks like it's been taken down, and the old sign put back up?
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com