Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Easier Intermediate Trails?

My family & I are heading to Whiteface on Mon. Mar. 12. We are are Beginnner-Intermediate skiers so were wondering what Intermediate trails are the easier ones & hence good candidates for us to consider trying later in the week. We are not looking to ski down runs that are out of our skill range! Thanks.

Re: Easier Intermediate Trails?

Quote Originally Posted by kevsul
    My family & I are heading to Whiteface on Mon. Mar. 12. We are are Beginnner-Intermediate skiers so were wondering what Intermediate trails are the easier ones & hence good candidates for us to consider trying later in the week. We are not looking to ski down runs that are out of our skill range! Thanks.
    anything off of facelift, gondola to excelsior, summit chair to parons. normally if you are beginner i would say to stay away from excelsior because it gets very congested, but if you are up mid week it shouldnt be a problem.

Just remember ... trail difficulty ratings are relative to the mountain they're at ... Paron's Run in particular would almost certainly be an expert trail at most smaller mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    Just remember ... trail difficulty ratings are relative to the mountain they're at ... Paron's Run in particular would almost certainly be an expert trail at most smaller mountains.
    I understand that ... which is the reason I made my initial post. What I am looking to know is which of the Intermediate trails are closer to Green than they are to Black.

I understand that ... which is the reason I made my initial post. What I am looking to know is which of the Intermediate trails are closer to Green than they are to Black.
    Stick witht he facelift. Its fast and the terrain off of there will be long and well groomed.
    When you get of the lift go right and loop around. You can't get in any trouble if you go that way.

depends on your athletic ability as well. my sister is a beginner and was on parons her first day of sking ever, but she is also in good shape and she took a lesson. that being said, if you stick to facelift, anything on there is beginner and they are nice long trails. you cant beat the view on the summit though and on a monday when there are no people, if the snow is good and the weather is good and you are a little more adventurous and in decent shape, its worth it. put a helmet on and go for it. it will get your heart pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion
    you cant beat the view on the summit though and on a monday when there are no people, if the snow is good and the weather is good and you are a little more adventurous and in decent shape, its worth it. put a helmet on and go for it. it will get your heart pumping.
    I agree about the view, but disagree with the rest. Encouraging people to get in over there head can get them hurt. Even if they don't get hurt it can take them forever to get down while getting in other skiers way who belong there. I've had to help lots of people down who where scared, kids crying, etc just to have them down loaded on the first lift we came to. It ain't fun for anyone.

I believe you should keep stepping it up to challenge yourself, but beginers don't belong on the summit of Whiteface.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion
    you cant beat the view on the summit though and on a monday when there are no people, if the snow is good and the weather is good and you are a little more adventurous and in decent shape, its worth it. put a helmet on and go for it. it will get your heart pumping.
    I agree about the view, but disagree with the rest. Encouraging people to get in over there head can get them hurt. Even if they don't get hurt it can take them forever to get down while getting in other skiers way who belong there. I've had to help lots of people down who where scared, kids crying, etc just to have them down loaded on the first lift we came to. It ain't fun for anyone.

I believe you should keep stepping it up to challenge yourself, but beginers don't belong on the summit of Whiteface.
    Well said

The trails from the Face Lift including Upper Valley, Broadway and Lower Valley should be the first intermediate trails you try. Once you can all handle of those without problems, then do the Excelsior trail from the gondola. The gondola should not be your first choice for intermediate terrain. If you do find that you're in over your heads from there, it's a LONG walk down.

Also, if you do go to the summit, try The Follies as a first run to get a feel for the terrain and conditions. When it merges with Parons Run, you'll be able to get a good view (looking up) at Parons Run to determine whether you think you and your family are ready for it.

Enjoy

Follies

I think the Follies are easier than Parons Run if you feel the need to get to the Summit for the view...again, that depends on the day. There have been days when you could take a beginner down Skyward and days when the bunny slopes were Black diamond. Ask a few locals.
    Warm up off the facelift on Easy Street to Lower Valley (Normally I would say Boreen but right now it's double black for the snowboars and may not be back to normal on the 12th...after that it will be the trail de jour with all the snow. If you feel comfortable after a few on the facelift, then try Excelsior off the Gondola.....make sure you check the view from the overlook. Maybe second day check out Follies/Parons Run off the Summit Quad....but ask a local first.

Re: Follies

Quote Originally Posted by Faceplant
    I think the Follies are easier than Parons Run
    I think Parons is easier than the Follies. Follies is more narrow and Paron's always seems to be in better condition. Hit the Facelift and maybe get a lesson to sharpen your skills for the gondi and the summit. Mid-week you won't have to worry about too many people on Excelsior. The main point is to have fun and stay safe.