WF Snowmaking Tour, 11/24

Got to tour the mountain yesterday with GM Bruce McCulley and other WF personnel for an up-close and behind-the-scenes look at snowmaking operations. I've got a bunch of pics from yesterday here: http://saratogaskier.blogspot.com/20...-11242010.html. Bruce and Jon Lundin (ORDA PR Coordinator) talked about the plan for Friday. the rest of opening weekend, and more. And of course lots about snowmaking.

Snowmaking Tour

Thank you very much for this great post! I hadn't realized there was so much technology in snowmaking at WF. I'm looking forward to snowmaking on Hoyt's High in the next few years.

Agreed on the thanks, but the info given is just the tip of the ICEBERG that is the drama of making snow at Whiteface.

If the skiing/riding public actually knew how intricate a process making snow is at Whiteface year in, and year out, they'd never complain about the daily conditions again.

Bruce M is a snowmaking God!

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    Agreed on the thanks, but the info given is just the tip of the ICEBERG that is the drama of making snow at Whiteface.

If the skiing/riding public actually knew how intricate a process making snow is at Whiteface year in, and year out, they'd never complain about the daily conditions again.

Bruce M is a snowmaking God!
    +1

As I learn more, I am amazed at the number of variables involved. I used to think the variables were water/pumping, compressed air, temperature and money. Add in at a minimum grid management and utility pricing agreements based on peak and non-peak usage for starters. You'd be amazed the percentage of the mtns total budget that is spend compressing air.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com