What a beautiful day! Temps were hovering around 26 at the base with little to no wind. I had to break out my spring gloves and my shell. The sun felt god on my face when it broke through the mixed clouds. In the afternoon, I was able to get above the clouds on skyward. Great views of the surrounding ADK peaks poking through the tops of the clouds.

Whiteface could use some snow. That is for sure. But they were blowing snow like crazy. I would like to compliment the whiteface snowmakers. For some reason the snow that they are blowing seems almost like natural powder. Yes, it's a little more fine than normal but it's pretty good stuff.

I think the run of the day was Skyward to Lower Cloudspin. On the lift ride up I was able to see that they were blowing snow like crazy on the skiers left on skyward. As soon as I go off the lift, I busted under the ropes and was rewarded with some untracked snow on a steep slope for about 150 feet that had drifted over from a nearby snow gun. As I skied down I kept as close to the snow guns as I could and was rewarded with some fresh tracks. The guns had starting to create mounds of snow but they were fun to jump off and ski around. Lower Cloudspin was funny mix of hard scraped off bumps and nice blown snow. The center of the trail skied best. Lower Niagra was bumped up on the left and groomed on the right. I hit up both over several runs but the best was the right side with some loose snow over really hardpack. The trail was good enough to take several more runs on.

Mountain Run to 1900 Road to Lower Wilderness Trail was a close second. The snow on the skiers left on mountain run was pretty good. Some soft packed powder over very hard stuff. Enough to to have fun and make some good turns. At the half way point, I cut across the windswept icepack of the center of mountain run to get over to lower wilderness. Thank goodness I had just sharpened my edges. The lower part of wilderness was really nice though.

Overall, a great day. Hope more new snow though.

matt