Trip Report: Friday 01/21/2011 - Parkway to Mountain Run

ok, so picture this...

Time: 5:15AM
    Place: Boston, MA
    I'm fast asleep in bed with dreams of powder shots in the slides in my head. Suddenly, my wife shakes me awake and tells me school has been canceled. With only a small regret, I flail out of bed yelling something like we're out of here in 15 minutes. 30 minutes later (not to bad) skis, gear, and kids packed in the car we roll out. Somehow our snow tires keep us on the snow covered roads as we bomb up to Lake Placid. When we finally arrive around 11:30 am, I peel my knuckles off the steering wheel and hit the slopes.

It was worth the drive. The crowds were non-existant. The kids and I took a few runs on the face lift and then headed up to take a run on excelcsior and then down wilderness trail to check out the moguls for World cup competition on that will be held on Satuday and Sunday. Looked good.

I ditched the kids, strapped on my new GS boards and headed up the mountian via the Gondi. Hearing rumors that the summit chair was down I headed down to Mountain Run and Upper Parkway. They were blowing a lot of snow on parkway and it was covered by a layer of really soft snow. I found that the new GS skis gripped like crazy and had no speed limit. I really flew. I skied right back onto the lift and then back up for run after run. Great Day.

matt

Re: Trip Report: Friday 01/21/2011 - Parkway to Mountain Run

A very cool tale ... so 5:45 to 11am Boston to Wilmington - with a family - that's GOT to be a record.
    Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com

oops, typo!!! We did not arrive on this day until around 11:30.

5 hours is a normal trip though during an early morning late night drive.